Shavemac Handle Colours and Loft

So all of Nishy's threads has convinced me I deserve a treat.

I'm definitely going to get the 173 handle with a 26mm two band knot. What I'm not sure about is colour? The website I feel doesn't give a great representation of the colours, does anyone have any examples?

I'm also thinking of a 48mm loft. The only thing I have in a similar range is the Simpsons P8 24mm @50mm. It's my favourite brush but would like a little less face spread and a little more backbone. I face lather exclusively.

Hiya, glad you have opted for the Shavemac an excellent brush! Colour wise, the 173 is by far the best shaped handle to show off the colours available. The contoured sides allow for a slimmer profile, making the resin coloration more apparent IMO. Colour wise at 26mm you dont have to consider the bore hole being apparent (I has this issue with a 173 in tortoise set at 30/52).

The colours I have in the 173 are here:

I don't have a favourite colour to be honest they are all very nice.

Regarding knot size, I would suggest a 26/50 2 band silvertip fan knot. I had the P8 also and the above knot will have more backbone and less splay. If you want even less splay and more of a plump face feel, with more backbone than the P8 a 26/48 bulb would also work.

Incidentally the 24mm knot is my ideal size for the 173 handle. It sits perfectly in the bore hole. The 26/28/30 look very much more dense as are larger than the bore hole. Hope this helps :)

If your willing to wait around 8-10 months I may have something a little special on the horizon.

I probably will Kamp, but kid myself that it's not a group buy. I have no timescale apart from late next year as I'm getting married, but it will be special. My cousin has a family business in Kenya, Mombassa. So am hoping to get sandstone, ebony stone and marble handles, designed by myself and made in Mombassa (shipping will take 3 days), then Shavemac knots added looking at 28mm 2 band silvertip and DO lines. I have designed a few handles so far.

I probably will Kamp, but kid myself that it's not a group buy. I have no timescale apart from late next year as I'm getting married, but it will be special. My cousin has a family business in Kenya, Mombassa. So am hoping to get sandstone, ebony stone and marble handles, designed by myself and made in Mombassa (shipping will take 3 days), then Shavemac knots added looking at 28mm 2 band silvertip and DO lines. I have designed a few handles so far.

please keep me informed when you do, when this xmas shavemac (will be my first shavemac) is a succes, I might want to join you in this next one. (I know what to save my penny's for the next purchase) :)

Couple have requested it over on TSN, not on Bernd's basic site. Usually with something like this it gets hit by all the fan boys then turns out to be relatively indifferent. However, reading the reviews over on TSN from some knowledgeable and trustworthy guys it seems to be very good. A balance between the bulb and fan.

IMO when I've asked Lee S to make one, there was very little, if any difference between the hybrid and a fan.

It's also pretty subjective. Is it a pointy fan or a flat bulb? Natural variances in hand made knots could make you think it's something is isn't.

Saying that, I think I'll order one in the new year :)

Last edited:
Decided on the 48mm loft, struggling with the colour choice, Bernd also has some Coral rod left over but not sure how it would look on that handle. Any thoughts?

On that handle I would say 24mm is your sweet spot. No degree of translucency with the coral, I personally think it would look good with the 173 but personally I prefer a colour which is slightly translucent such as the brown-beige with the 173 all personal opinions.

Back
Top Bottom