Shave Off: Pearl Flexi vs Rex Ambassador

Shave-Off today. Pearl Flexi vs Rex Amabassador
2nd use Voskhod blade, Proraso White, and my 26mm synthetic Harlequin brush.

I haven't used the Flexi for a while, so decided to do a shave-off between it and the Ambassador. I alternated the same blade between the razors, and had both set to 3 for the WTG pass and then dropped down to 2 for the XTG and clean-ups - my normal routine and settings for these razors.

The Flexi is so much heavier than the Ambassador, and that weight is all in the handle. The two razors therefore feel extremely different despite their similar designs and head geometry. I found myself being much more tentative with the Flexi, especially around my chin, and the blade feel on 3 was noticeably more than with the Ambassador.

The Ambassador is smoother and better balanced. It feels less clumsy than the Flexi, and easier and more comfortable to use. Despite the handling differences, no real difference in closeness after the first pass.

On the XTG pass, and on setting 2, the Flexi was smoother, but more fight against gravity still made it feel unwieldy, and I nicked myself going across the top lip. Not badly, but akin to other nicks I've had from the Flexi. Mine doesn't have the blade alignment issues the earlier models had, but the balance is so much different to all my other razors, it's just not comfortable to use when doing upstrokes or cross strokes.The Ambassador did a fine job on the second pass. No nicks or complaints. The Flexi feels more aggressive to me on 3, although on setting 2, I didn't perceive one to be more aggressive than the other.

In terms of shave quality, the razors are comparable. In terms of handling, very different, and my preference is for the Ambassador, simply because it has much better balance and is lighter. Both razors are solidly built, and I think the Flexi offers extremely good value for money. But having experience with lots of different razors now, I know what I like to have in my hand - and it's something that's well-balanced and a little on the lighter side.

So the Ambassador earns its rotation place, while sadly the Flexi must drop out, unless I'm really in the mood for something weighing the same as a girder.

IMG_0478 Large.jpeg

I have the Flexi OC and quite enjoy it. I run it on 6 and get very comfortable and efficient shaves. You're right about the weight though...the Flexi is a tank.

Back
Top Bottom