Shave of The Day w/c Saturday 6th February 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday

Vulfix 404 mix
Tabac
1955 Gillette Flair Tip Rocket
Indian Wilkinson (3)
Speick ASB

It's a sad day tinged with happiness. My Tabac is now holed and in fact collapsed inwards very soon afterwards and had to be consolidate into a thin layer at the bottom of the dish. Sad that the Tabac is nearing it's final curtain - happy that I can move on and open another soap without the guilt of having too many open.

The Tabac will be survived by 8 refills and a spare dish.

hunnymonster said:
Sad that the Tabac is nearing it's final curtain - happy that I can move on and open another soap without the guilt of having too many open.

Are you opening another Tabac or starting a completely different soap?

Saturday

2 Straights and a Mach3 (Yes, really!)
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
L'Occitane Cade asb
Trumper's Spanish Leather edc

So, onward with Project Straight. Better results than my first attempts, which is very encouraging. Finished with a run over with a Mach 3.

Ian

Crown and sword straight
TOBS sensitive shave cream
Wilkinson sword brush

That gave me quite a smooth shave. I needed a few touch ups and with my brother wanting the bathroom i quickly touched up with the Merkur with the Shark blade in.

Hot towel,,so nice!
TOBS Mr Taylors cream.( New for birthday :)
Merkur 38C New for birthday :)
Yellow 7o'clock, (not my favourite in my tests so far but thought it might be better in the 38C than the EJ DE89,,not really ,, so I still dont rate them :)
Love the MrTaylors and so did the 38C, after 3 passes it was very good.(I think a Super Iridium would have taken it to another level though.)
Dollop of Nivea replenishing :) very nice indeed and that's me set for the day.
beejay

Brush: Edwin Jagger Black Badger (imitation turtle)
Bowl: Morrison earthenware cereal bowl (£1.99! :D)
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chrome with Lined Handle DE
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Cream: Edwin Jagger Aloe
Alum: "Salt of the Earth"
Balm: Nivea Sensitive
AfterShave: CK Free

I shaved in the evening today and really enjoyed it. I'd say this was the best shave I have had yet since taking up DE shaving. I was aiming for baby bottom smooth instead of just day to day smooth so I was willing to tolerate a little irritation.

I started off as I always do with a hot bath and by pre-warming the bowl and brush. Got up a good lather and set to work. I went with the grain, then relathered and across the grain.

I went with the grain again which is where I usually stop, but I still felt my neckline rough so I lathered that alone and went against the grain. Last time I did that I cut myself but obviously I've gotten a little better at this. I was feeling brave so I did one more pass all over against the grain. The result is almost completely smooth both with and against the grain, and virtually no irritation after 4½ passes. That's 1½ more than I was planning on, but I think I'm getting more confident.

I finished off with a cold water rinse, alum block, balm then just a dab of aftershave behind the ears. Adding the alum into my routine seems to have made a big difference to post-shave irritation.

And no cuts! :)

Saturday evening.

Prep: Wash face with glycerin soap, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Soap: Tabac.
Brush: Simpson Colonel 2 Band Super.
Razor: 13/16ths Carl Schlieper.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Aqua Velva.

This was my second shave using this brush. Most Colonel brushes are Best Badger. BullGoose Shaving has Vilfix made Colonels in two band super as a special order. At $110 US this brush is a steal. I truly think this is the brush for the one brush fellow. Does soaps, creams, great for face lathering. Very soft tips with good backbone.

Sunday

Half Blade Disposable Straight thing
Half Dorco 301
BK8
Boots Soap
Aqua Velva

Been practising with the shavette type razor for a bit. Did two passes - up and down on the face and neck. Very smooth and just the odd weeper. Finished off with the Feather Portable/Derby.

Impressions - a very very smooth shave, if at the expense of a bit of time. All the choices were deliberate - Dorcos never seem to shave me and the Boots lather I find very slick.

Another acquisition disorder awaits...

Sunday:
Razor: Wilkinson Classic
Blade: Red Personna
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Mitchell's Woolfat
Aftershave: Old Spice

A 'cheap' shave today.

Sunday

Straight/'66 Superspeed+Swede
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Don't be fooled by the various videos on Youtube; Straight shaving is bloody hard work.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom