Shave of The Day w/c Saturday 30th January 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday

Some straight (WTG)

Mühle R89
Derby (1)
Trumpers Pure Badger
Trumpers Coconut Cream
*Extra Cold water with drops of After Shave (as in Mantics lastest clip) Hugo Boss XY
Trumpers Coral Skin food (Before and after)
Trumpers Moisturiser

*Put a few drops of after shave in sink mixed with cold water. Seemed to work well and replaced my Alum bloc for the day. Watch Mantics lastest you tube clip 2nd part or 2.

Wednesday

Merkur HD
Gillette Super Thin D5
Semogue 1305
Arko SS
Alum
Dickensons witchazel with aloe
Tabac edc

I grated the stump of the stick into a bowl - corningware 20oz stoneware "mug" that SWMBO bought as a food saver - it looked a pityful amount in the bottom so i grated a full stick with it. Superb lather, on a par with Tabac & better than Wool Fat.

Tuesday Evening

EJ 87 + Feather
Vulfix Pure
MWF
KOS oil (for touch-ups)

Still amazed at how soft the Fat leaves my skin feeling. Great stuff. Also really rate the KOS alpha oil.

Busy day today, no shave this morning due to starting work early. Got back from work and got a call from paper shop, i need to go with the guy to the warehouse. Seeing GF after that, got home and she was here.
So, a shave in the evening!

Merkur 34HD
Shark blade
Palmolive shave stick
Wilkinson Sword brush
Alum
Nivea ASB

Great shave, quite smooth with no irritation, but not as smooth as some of the shaves that ive been getting with different blades.
Going to use my Crabtree and Evelyn soap next time to see how the blade goes with that i think.

Wednesday evening.

Prep: Wash face with glycerin soap, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Cream: Palmolive Red.
Brush: Shavemac silvertip.
Razor: 11/16ths Paul Losenbeck quarter hollow.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Proraso Balm and Splash.

Gave this little razor a few laps on a dry coticule followed by 10 laps on 0.25 diamond paste as a follow-up to my initial honing.

Very nice, smooth, shave.

Thursday

'66 Gillette Superspeed
Swede
Vulfix VS/3
L'Occitane Cade Soap
L'Occitane Cade asb
Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet edt

Comfortable, close, and smelled great (and I still smell great!)

Ian

Edwin Jagger DE89 razor
Feather blade
Neo custom boar brush
EJ Aloe Vera cream
EJ Aloe Vera asb

Well, this was shaving nirvana*. I think I'm going to have to leave TSR as it feels like it can't get any better. The EJ razor just feels so right. It glided across my face with no effort whatsoever. I really want my stubble to grow faster so I can have another go this evening. :D The EJ cream is lovely too. :shave

*Heaven - not the band. That would be horrific.

Thursday evening, just managed to finish the shave before the clock hit friday

Gem Micromatic
Gem blade
Taylor's Rose
Kent bk8
Taylor's Bay Rum aftershave.

My first shave with the micromatic in around a year, it went to live at my dad's house but he never used it. Pleasantly surprised, much better then I remember. I got a little carried away going atg for the final pass on my neck and there was a mini blood spotting bath - I'll be more careful next time.

I could see the micromatic competing with the 1912 in the near future, and to think I had pretty much written them off.

Thursday evening.

Prep: Wash face with glycerin soap, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Soap: MWF.
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best.
Razor: 13/16ths Wade & Butcher.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Aqua Velva.

As close as I can come to an all British shave. Nothing is so smooth as a Sheffield. I've never seen another Wade & Butcher like this one.

Attachments

• 13-16ths Wade & Butcher, bone scales.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 68
  • 13-16ths Wade Blade.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 68
The original horn scales to my knowledge, Proinsias. I have no reason to suspect they have been changed. As unlikely as it seems, I was the first to set the bevel and hone this razor. I've looked at many Wade & Butchers and have never seen another with filigree such as this. Perhaps some of you chaps have seen one in shops or flea markets, boot sales I believe they may be called there, while rummaging around. I would be most interested to discover additional information.

It is just hard to beat Sheffield steel, enjoy your wedge. And thank you, she is a rather unique shaver.

Thursday Evening

Feather Portable head on EJ 87 handle
Indian Wilky
Vulfix Pure
TOBS Almond cream

I had what felt like a very good shave last night. But I'm a bit confused. Yesterday, in a different thread, Vic described the Feather Portable (head) as aggressive -- didn't match my experience of it, even with a Feather blade.

So I picked mine up last night and loaded it with an Indian Wilkinson. The resulting 2-pass shave felt very close. Okay, the neck wasn't as close as I'd like it to be, and there was noticeable redness there which went away without any a/s, but for a 2-pass shave WTG + a bit of XTG on the chin, the outcome was really pleasing.

Still not sure if it was due to the Portable head, the blade or the combo itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom