Shave of the day w/c Saturday 2nd January 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
1gear Im surprised that the palmolive stick didn't work for you IMO it's a very good soap but different strokes for different folks.

Saturday

Merkur 34C HD
Crystal (IP) (1)
Semogue 1305
Tabac Soap
TOBS Alum
TOBS Mr Taylor balm
Geo F Trumper Eucris EDT

Miles Davis on in the background.

The only factor that wasn't perfect about the shave was the Crystal, I just didn't feel that it was as sharp as it could be had to take a bit more care on 2nd pass. Will probably go back to Red Pack after this one.

Also will be on the look out for a new Balm, the Mr Taylor works well but the mileage is poor.

Saturday

Muhle R41 OC
Derby (1)
Semogue 1305
Tabac Stick

Proraso AS
Proraso ASB

The R41 / Derby combination provided the smoothest DE shave I have had thus far. Unbelievable! A Derby Extra, utterly unbelievable!!

The next three days will be an interesting experiment so I'll continue with the same supporting cast of actors.

Unbelievable...
:shave

Saturday

Proraso Pre Post
Red Tip with Personna blade
Green tub Proraso soap
B&B LE 2008 brush
Alum
AOS Rose water toner
Light unscented moisturiser
Proraso A/S splash
Acca Kappa 1869 Cologne

Really enjoying using the Red Tip, I do find it a razor that is sensitive to the angle, for me it eother shaves or doesn't. Some razors are more forgiving but this one seems to make me concentrate on how I am holding the razor, maybe not a bad thing.

Sunday

Gillette Tech (Gold Plated, ball-end)
Iridium Super
Vulfix VS/3
Tabac
D.R. Harris Pink a/s

Wonderful

Ian

Sunday

First shave of the year (self-inflicted illness to blame - see below)

Kent BK4
Tabac
1955 British Flair Tip Rocket
Indian Laser Ultra (1)
Aloe Vera

So the self-inflicted illness.... on Boxing Day evening, I felt a bit under the weather and decided not to have a beer but to have a cup of tea instead... one lead to two, three, four and I'm sure you can see where this is heading.... Caffeine overload through the night and me getting about 35 minutes of sleep. Next day didn't feel so hot so didn't have any caffeine-containing drinks, so I ended up going cold turkey on the caffeine. Result 5 days and nights of hell on wheels during which time I drank water & fruit juice, I think leaving me salt-deficient. Through all this I had zero appetite and when I forced myself to have something to eat, I planned on a slice of toast, after two small bites I was on the great white telephone to Hughie & Ralph.

Merkur 34HD
Astra blade
Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna soap
Wilkinson Sword brush
ISIS ASB

Another lovely shave. No nick. No cuts. No irritation, face feels very good.
Im very much liking these Astra blades and the soap.

hunnymonster said:
Sunday

Kent BK4
Tabac
Indian Laser Ultra (1)
Aloe Vera

So the self-inflicted illness.... on Boxing Day evening, I felt a bit under the weather and decided not to have a beer but to have a cup of tea instead... one lead to two, three, four and I'm sure you can see where this is heading.... Caffeine overload through the night and me getting about 35 minutes of sleep. Next day didn't feel so hot so didn't have any caffeine-containing drinks, so I ended up going cold turkey on the caffeine. Result 5 days and nights of hell on wheels during which time I drank water & fruit juice, I think leaving me salt-deficient. Through all this I had zero appetite and when I forced myself to have something to eat, I planned on a slice of toast, after two small bites I was on the great white telephone to Hughie & Ralph.

Great to see you posting again, thought something was up!

While I'm here I'll also add that this thread is so much better when people add a comment on their shave rather than just leaving a list of items used.

Sunday

Proraso Green Te Pre/Post
Red Tip with Personna blade
Chubby CH2 2 Band
Honeybees Rose soap
Alum
Rose water toner
Moisturiser
La Toja A/s splash

Good shave, this Red Tip and personna combination is a winner. Tried with it a few soaps now and getting consistantly good results. I like the smell of the La Toja splash, it is quite light and refreshing, I ordered this when I ordered the Semogue brush, which I have still to get around to breaking it in.

Sorry to hear about the caffine trip HM, you would have been as well having a drink, at least the recovery from that is quicker. :) Glad to hear you are on your feet again.

hunnymonster said:
Sunday

Kent BK4
Tabac
Indian Laser Ultra (1)
Aloe Vera

Yeah, yeah,yeah - but how was the shave? ;)

Glad you're feeling better old lad! Salt deficiency? Bring on a large mug of Bovril for HM.

Best wishes.

Sunday Evening

Merkur 39c 'Slanthammer' + Feather (2)
Vulfix Pure Badger
Castle Forbes Lavender cream
Trumper's Lime Skinfood

Had the Barberpole Slant for about a month and have only started using it recently. Very nice bit of kit. Nowhere near as aggressive as is widely believed; quite the opposite, in fact: it slices very smoothly, and closely too.

Castle Forbes Lavender gives me a lovely cushioning and lubricating lather, and smells wonderful. But, in my opinion, not worth its price tag (beware of hype): TOBS Rose remains my benchmark cream. As for Trumper's skinfood - simply and effortlessly brilliant!

Fido said:
Perhaps shaving products are a bit like hi fi - once you get beyond a certain point you have to spend a lot more for a marginal improvement in quality.

Fido
A guid new year

You have yet again put into a simple sentence and clarified, a matter I have been wrestling with for yonks. Is Palmolive cream worth £1 odds? Most of us would agree it is. Are some of the more high end creams worth 10 - 15 times that? Are they 10 - 15 times better?....I don't think so. Are we all seduced by packaging and marketing? I do think so.

Sunday

1970 Super adjustable
Gillette Swede Blade
Kent BK2 Pure badger (1st use of a present I got )
St James "Founder's Reserve" Shave Cream
One Planet ASB

Lovely shave today. The St James cream was a TK Maxx find at £6 and lathered up beautifully with the Kent brush. I've used my HD almost exclusively for about 6months now, but this shave made me remember why the super was once my favourite razor. Love it!!

NA
Ref influenced by reviews! definitely. However, some of our stalwarts seem to get it right on the money, whether that is because we have the same skin / beard type, I'm not sure. What they have is experience. I still get a thrill opening and using the high end stuff though :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom