Shave of the Day, w/c Saturday 27th February 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday night

If it ain't broke don't fix it - not often I go for the same shave twice in a row but,

Star 1912 patent
Gem blade (2)
Kent H8
TOBS Shaving Shop cream
Brut lotion

equals happy shaver!

Wednesday
Bic Sensitive
Semogue 1305
Palmolive Soap Stick
Floid, The Genuine

Bic Sensitive is proving to be a nice cheap little razor.

Wednesday

EJ Chatsworth
Iridium (4)
Mühle Best
Palmolive Classic Cream
Alum
Trimaran AS
Nivea ASB

Tried to use the "Purpledragonemporium" Lime and Cedarwood soap bought fro the bay and received yesterday. Gave up. Smells great, but just doesn't lather (for me). Was practising with it last night and it seems that i can't do anything to make it creamy rather than bubbly. Then i saw the thread on it here! Not just me then :D . I had ordered it before i was a member here. I am contemplating using it solely as a pre-shave face wash soap now - to use it up. Not too much cash lost on it though!
Ordered Henks range last night - tub of each of his creams and his ASB, so looking forward to giving them a try!
Cheers,

Wednesday

Futur
Iridium
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Col. Conk Bay Rum Soap
D.R. Harris Pink a/s

I'm getting the distinct feeling that I have found the best group of gear for shaving, but it doesn't include the Conk soap.
It seems that most new things that I try perform worse or no better than things that I already have. The recent attempts at straight shaving, and the acquisition and then almost immediate sale of the 12C open comb seem to reinforce this.

Perhaps I have already achieved my shaving Nirvana?

Ian

andyjreid said:
Right well to start off it is a soapy smell but not in a horrid putrid soap way. Its a very "classic" non-musky sort of fragrance. To me it has a little of a Gin about it and a smell of aloe vera about it. It also has a slight freshness to it as well which I find is missing in the cologne.

To me, the cologne smells classic but also smells like an untouched, dried out, cake of cheap soap.

The cologne greatly let me down.

Im sorry its pretty vague but there is no other scent/product out there that I can use as a reference point.

FWIW I've always thought of the scent of this cream as being "quintessentially" British.

I think of my Mr Taylor cream as having a barber shop smell - and I have no idea of what I mean by that! It really is different to everything else, but I like it a lot. It's a cream I won't be without.

IanM said:
Wednesday

Futur
Iridium
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Col. Conk Bay Rum Soap
D.R. Harris Pink a/s

I'm getting the distinct feeling that I have found the best group of gear for shaving, but it doesn't include the Conk soap.
It seems that most new things that I try perform worse or no better than things that I already have. The recent attempts at straight shaving, and the acquisition and then almost immediate sale of the 12C open comb seem to reinforce this.

Perhaps I have already achieved my shaving Nirvana?

Ian

I think too that what we have improves with more use. I whipped up a great lather today with C&T Sandalwood soap - half price in a closing down sale. Not heard much about it, but it's as good as most. I wasn't impressed at first but I must have improved my lathering since I got it.

Wednesday

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Semogue 1305 Boar Brush
Iberia 12 5/8" Straight Razor
Veleiro After Shave Splash
444 After Shave Balm
sdc11488.jpg

Tuesday Night

'Gold' Weishi + Iridium Super
Vulfix 404 Boardger (then Vulfix Pure badger)
Tabac
Trumper's Lime skinfood

Used the 404 mix initially (bowl lathering), but it didn't knock up the same quality or amount of lather as my badger managed the previous day. So the Pure came off the subs bench and put in its usual reliable performance. Another good shave with this set up.

I can understand the love for TTO razors -- the butterfly mechanism is a brilliant design feature which is both practical and cool. Talking about (unintentional) practicality, a gold razor makes checking blade alignment and exposure much easier: it can be a bit tricky distinguishing between silver blade and silver razor sometimes.

Missing my Proraso balm and eagerly awaiting my new bottle from Connaught. Still thinking about ordering a Simmo Duke 3.

Wednesday

Mühle R89
Vidyut Super Max (1) - free from my local hairdresser
Trumpers Coconut cream
Trumpers Super Badger travel brush
Coral
Moisturiser

DFS, slightly more passes needed in areas with these blades. A comfortable shave.

Wednesday

Big Roc TTO
Sainsburys (Dorco ST-301) (1)
Omega 80056
Superdrug Pre-Shave splash
Wilkinson Blue Bowl/Erasmic cream - Superlather
Alum Block
Wilkos AB
Aldi Excite AS (with added menthol)

The Big Roc is probably a Vincent, it comes from China, mine must have missed QC because the blade gaps are equal each side and works fine :eek: , its a bit on the aggressive side but shaves well enough and are as cheap as chips. Well the Dorco :?: , what I've read some love them and some hate them, I like them and it gave nice smooth (not as smooth as a RED IP) shave, the blade is sharp and a DFS+ was had without any niggles, I wouldn't buy these in bulk but if I had to get some blades and Sainsburys was nearby I wouldn't hesitate to buy some. The Aldi aftershave I've had for ages and decided to spice it up with some menthol crystals, what a menthol kick :shock: .

Have a nice and pleasant day Gents

Tony

69 Super-adjustable (short handled version)
Gillette Swede
Kent BK2
TOBS sensitive shave cream
One Planet balm

One of those superb shaves, which just made the entire day better. I don't think I'll change this set up for a while. Perhaps the cream will change, but the Super A loaded with a Swede is simply an awesome combination!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom