Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 26th June 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
moodymick said:
I use the one the wife buys 'Aapri' ...

I reckon that's the one I remember being in the bathroom as a teenager (with 3 sisters).

Will give it a look.

I might go cheap and dunk my Imperial Leather soap into sand.

Friday

proraso pre/post
Fido 2201
Proraso soap
EJ bull mastiff + GST (2)
Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe ( alcohol free)
Anthonys razor burn relief.

Didnt need the razor burn relief but in this weather, it provides a lovely cooling sensation. Not using alum for a while to see how I get on.

A very nice shave.

Friday

Fido 2201
P.160 tipo duro
OS Fresh Lime Cream
Gillette 1958 British TV Special
Gillette Thai Super Thin (about 33)
OS Fresh Lime AS

As I was lathering up the P.160 I was thinking "I might try the OS..." so I did for the second pass... Crumbs the AS doesn't prepare you for the cream on the lime front at all... and great gobs of lather once again from the Fidobrush™

KICX0786.jpg

Gillette Rocket Flair Tip / Dorco plat. (2) - Krap!! BINNED!
Simp.Duke 3 B/B
Wilkinson cream

'Morning all,

Alum/Thayers W/hazel (Rose) / Gil. ASB. This operation was carried out last night twixt 10 and 11pm after a bath. This morning, I smothered myself in Old spice Lime AS and Old spice (original) Body spray! The flowers wilted as I passed by, leaving the house, and the car changed from Black to a dirty grey as I climbed in! By the time I arrived at work however, "things" had calmed down somewhat! I think I got it right :? I rather think I will be avoiding Dorco blades in the future, they appear to be sub-standard,(well,for me anyway).

spandex :)

Mikael said:
Friday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest, two banded 22 mm
Razor: Shavemac by Dovo
Soap: Tabac
AS: LaCoste
Result: :D
This was a nice one! 2 1/2 passes and I´m c l e a n. First time for my "Fido" :shave :lol: I like this brush a lot, of course it was the first time today and I hope/think it´ll get even better. But it loaded tons of soap (30 sec load and enough for approx. 3 1/2 passes, for me) and it was very pleasent to my face, soft tips but with a good backbound. I think it´s better than the tgn knots, even though I´ve got a few and like them too. My two new favourites are this one and Henks 20 mm Silvertip. Thank you Peter (and Henk)!
45000d1278057448-sotd-sun-june-27th-sat-july-3rd-snb12656.jpg

Another nice picture from you there Mikael! Fido's brush does indeed look good, and your liking for the large rivets in your razor scales again in evidence-lovely! :D

joe mcclaine said:
Need a good facial scrub (makes the head nice and shiny) . . . open to suggestions.

Vinnie, I use St. Ives Apricot facial scrub in the shower each morning. Mrs PC bought it and I gave it a go. Now I use it everyday and will probably buy it again. Don't know the cost but think it's probably reasonable.

N_Architect said:
Some cosmetics manufacturers recommend that face scrubs are not to be used at all. You may want to have your skin clean and shiny but face scrub use should be moderately used at most, if at all.

Don't know what our experts here have to say on this, but this is my experience.

That's what I've heard too.

This wouldn't be used on my face, though. Just the head.

Will have a look round tomorrow for the lab series stuff.

Have just found out Trumpers and D R Harris both do 'scrubs' so I might see if there's any reviews on them.

Friday

6/8 Air Brand straight
Nanny's Yushu soap
Kent BK4
Alum block
Jasper Conran Man AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

First shave with my first straight which arrived this morning from Neil Miller, along with my starter strop. Full details of the shave here

Friday

2nd shave if the day,

I wonder if the shave shack took on board my comments about a cream to make your beard grow quicker and are testing formulae as I type......

Showered after this evenings training session and my 9:30 shadow warranted a 2nd go after this mornings CCS which while close enough was a swift morning shave.

Futur 3.5 then dialled down to 3 through necessity
Superthin #1
Palmolive cream
Vulfix 2235
Alum
Styptic pencil
Witch Hazel
Gillette ASB
Aquatonic

A BBS but a few weepers and a the 1st proper cut for a long while, hence the styptic! That said the post shave treatment means that there isn't any significant irritation.

Note to self: The combination of Futur and Superthin is best used when I have not just spent 2 hours doing MMA (grappling and kick boxing) as it is not the kind of setup which is particularly forgiving of tired arms.

Friday Night:

• - cleansing with Thayers' Peach witch hazel followed by a couple of sets of "bobbing for icecubes"
    - Omega Pro 49 with J M Fraser's Moss Wood shave cream
    - 1940s Gillette Tech and a Wilkinson Sword White Label (German)
    - My Mighty Menthol AlumWater spritz
    - Thayers' Lemon witch hazel
    - Urban Hermit's Tropical Tundra ASHybrid [/list:u]

Considering they are made under the Wilkie's imprint, well, that they are what are our contemporary Wilkie's blades, for my shave experience, I feel that Lord Group products seem do the job better, and as far as I know they are still all made in the old Wilkinson's factory on Wilkinson's machinery, to Wilkinson's specs.
        • Ah, well ...[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

A tiny bit of the ol' sharp inhales when the AS hit the underside-of-the-jaw/neck area, but no major bad stuff otherwise.
          • ... yay.[/list:u]

spandexcodpiece said:
Another nice picture from you there Mikael! Fido's brush does indeed look good, and your liking for the large rivets in your razor scales again in evidence-lovely! :D

Thank you Spandex! Well, it was a lucky shot and Peters brush really came out good (with back lightning and all :D), but the back light wasn´t something I planned for.

Saturday

Merkur Sledgehammer + Feather (3)
TOBS Ebony Silvertip + Arko Stick
Alum + WH (habit I have formed)
Chanel Allure Aftershave Lotion

I'm with Andy J Reid on this one: Using a (quality) splash instead of a balm. Great advice for people like me with oilier skin. Feels great and doesn't really sting. The Chanel AS contains allantoin and a couple of other soothing ingredients. May change to balms in the winter but for the summer, the aftershave 'splashes' are working out fantastic. Forgot how decent the arko stick was. Good stuff. 'Blade buffing' with a 39c/feather + cushioning cream/soap is great, even on tougher (jaw-line) areas. Thank you to Henk for advising to use a smaller angle when holding the razor. Have a good day chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom