Shave of the Day w/c Saturday 20th March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday, late afternoon.

Prep: Wash face with glycerin soap, lather face massage, hot towel.
Cream: Creamo Shave Cream.
Brush: Shavemac. (an older pre-trade mark with the really good badger)
Razor: 6/8ths Puma 1938.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Proraso Splash & Balm.

First time to use Creamo Shave Cream and the lather was a bit thin. I’ll catch on to the correct ratio after another one or two uses. Nice fragrance.

Puma1938SOTD.jpg

Saturday

1949/50 American Superspeed
Kai blade (day 3)
TOBS Sandalwood cream
Kent BK4
Boots Witch Hazel
Body Shop White Musk For Men AS Balm

Didn't shave yesterday so it was 36hrs since my last one. Had a good look at the direction of hair growth in the problem areas to re-check the WTG/ATG angles, and managed to get a damn fine shave with no burn and no nicks. The Kai / SS combo seemed to work much better now the blade had been 'broken in' and it felt much less aggressive & more forgiving (or perhaps I've just reached the stage where I've mastered the combo nicely?)

Ian and Vinny are you guys using just the single bladed Bics? I've got a mountain of them in the house as thats what SWMBO used for her legs ;)

Sunday

Gillette G1000
Gillette Platinum (4)
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Palmolive Stick (milled into a bowl)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Cool Kick AB
Aquatonic AS

Got the G1000 out for a spin (haven't used it for ages :oops: ), stuck the Plat in and offt we jolly well went. Palmolive soap has got to be the most under estimated soap out there, its so cheap but so good, anyway the Plat and the Palmolive joined forces and a nice DFS :shave was had.

Have a nice and pleasant day Gents.

Tony

Saturday

Best badger brush from Neo
Dovo 1516

Henk's Dutch Moss cream
Alum
Cella Classica edc

Something new, and not so easy to describe. Last night Henk's cream put me in mind of a walk in the woods during autumn, but sniffing it now there's a definite light spiciness underlying the fresh ferny scent which makes me think it must be spring ... I knew I wouldn't be able to offer a useful description, but anyway, I like it a lot. I am a big fan of the sandalwood and vetiver version, which is a stiffer cream, but this performs differently: I produced an embarrassing excess of lather with the same amount of product, which is clearly a Good Thing once I get the hang of it. The results were exactly what I'd expect from the Henk laboratories: a nice comfortable shave with nary a trace of irritation.

Coming soon for your entertainment: Andy attempts to describe Bay Rum With A Twist.

andyjreid said:
Ian and Vinny are you guys using just the single bladed Bics? I've got a mountain of them in the house as thats what SWMBO used for her legs ;)

Yes. Mrs.M also sometimes uses them, and in the past I have tried them, but that wash in my pre-shaving brush days, and the experience wasn't a pleasant one. These last 2 shaves have been fine - dead easy.

Ian

Yep, orange handle, white head, single blade.

If you dig about at Wilkos you can find bags of 10 +5 free for 99p.

I've only been using them for about a month but have been getting great shaves with them and have pretty much gone right off the DE.

Ian and Vinny, I've basically been looking for an alternative to DE for 1) If im in a rush and 2) for when I go on holiday this year (although I am also considering a Wilkinson Sword DE or a Feather Popular). I was considering trying Gillette Blue II again but I can honestly say, according to my memory, I have never tried a Bic Sensitive for my face but all my life these have been kicking about every house/flat/doss I've lived in.

Back on to topic for the day

Sunday

Merkur 34C
Red Personna (2/3 can't remember)
No name badger brush
Speick Cream

Alum
Aqua Velva

For the first time ever no need for balm (as yet). I don't know if it's going back to the badger brush, I don't know if it's going back to Red Personna, I don't know if it's the Speick cream, I don't know if it's because Im concentrating more on blade angles............. whatever it is I'm going to keep on doing it. The last couple of shaves I've had with this set up have been nothing short of outstanding. 2 pass WTG and XTG then a final touch up on the neck and I'm getting DFS+ which is good enough for me.

Maybe I'll find in a couple of months that this no longer works for me and I'll be back using Tabac or something else but this learning process is fun.

Have a good day fellas, I know I will.

Sunday

Merkur 15C OC
Lord SC (3)
Semogue 1305
Tabac SS

Proraso AS
Proraso ASB

After a week or so of my dalliance with the Superspeed (which I felt obliged to take for a return visit to the States) the old face is taking a day or two to get back into the routine...decent shave though and very satisfactory outcome. A Derby tomorrow, methinks!

Splendid!

Sunday

Futur (2,3,4)
Shark blade (1)
Vulfix 2235 super
ToOBS Cream (Mr Taylor)
Alum
Boots Freshwood ASB
Kourus EDT

A great shave, 1st try of a shark blade so started the Futur at 2 then upped to 3 then 4 successive passes. I over did the neck>chin area just a touch with a 5th ATG pass :eek: but achieving a BBS as a result. I was expecting a lot of irritation as a consequence but nothing to write home about and the alum indicated that I had reached the comfortable limit and just stretched it a bit.

I've come to the conclusion that despite thinking for years that my skin is quite sensitive I was totally wrong!

Sunday

DE89L
Astra blade (3)
Kent H8 Badger brush
TOBS Almond cream
Asda One Planet ASB

2 days worth of stubble so was a little bit worried the blade on its 3rd outing wouldnt be sharp enough, how wrong i was! WTG, XTG and then ATG touching up and a BBS with no irritation whatsoever! Very pleased! really concentrated on no pressure and it worked well. Quite impressed with the Asda balm although it is seriously thick stuff!

Sunday

Feather Popular
Iridium x 2
TSR prototype brush
Palmolive soap
Superdrug Forest Fresh a\s

the Iridium seemed to be better in the milder Feather over the HD i used for the first shave

all is well
:cool:

Sunday

Merkur 38c
Iridium Super [3]
No-name badger brush
Founders Reserve Pre-shave oil
Ingram Menthol Shaving Cream
Proraso Post Shave

Never tried the Ingram's before but it's ok for the money. Nice, fresh and zesty feel to the cream, although you need more of it than you do with a cream from Trumper's, for example. Used in conjunction with the Proraso, I feel very mentholated today! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom