Shave of the day Saturday 22nd - Friday 28th July 2017

Re the Haslinger, Grate it into a larger container. I have done this with my Haslingers, S.V, and MT soaps. Does them no harm and makes loading easier.
Cheers, will do. Now I'll have to find something else to moan about :)
Yes a head to head would be good, I think is is the self contained self sufficiency that makes the Rolls such a special razor and it shaves very we indeed, but for me it's the 1912 fitted with a Pal super, carbon blade that wins the vintage stakes :)
I'll have to get some Pal super carbons before I put the 1912 in the ring with the Rolls :)

This is my first SOTD with a picture!, I have done previous SOTD but haven't included a picture so here we go!

Prep; Shower with face wash
Cream; T&H Apsley Shave cream
Razor; Parker 99R
Razor Blade; Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
Brush; Simpsons Best Badger

This is my 3rd week of using the Apsley shave cream and I really like it still the smell, lather, cushion and slickness are all top notch, the Parker 99r is a new razor to me as well I am in the middle of writing my first review ad I will put it up in the DE Razor section of this forum for anyone interested, as I had 2 days worth of Stubble I paired it with the sharper Gillette Yellow as opposed to the usual GSB I use and it mowed the stubble down and was very smooth and quite sharp you could feel it therefore as I shave daily the Yellow will probably not be my daily choice. The Simpsons brush is new to me aswell its my next step up as I usually use a pure badger and its great.

20170723_1044421_zpsahriz5ay.jpg

Merkur CC ?

CC = Closed Comb. In this case, it's the head of a Merkur 23c, but it is my understanding that all Merkur three-piece razors with a closed comb have identical heads. (There seems to be debate on whether the 34c and 38c have the same head as well, only mounted to the handle, or if theirs are different. To me, the 34c does indeed feel a bit different.)

SOTD_20170723-1024x626.jpg

• Straight Razor: R. A. Herder - 70
  • Shaving Brush: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Whaler Two Band (Silvertip Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Peg Leg Nichols
  • Alum: De Vergulde Hand
  • After-Shave: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Castaway
  • Fragrance: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - No 74 Victorian Lime

Sunday's shave.

Pre-shave - Hot shower, Aloe Vera soap, followed by warm water splash and Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep + (liberally applied). .
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 2).
Soap - Executive Shaving Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol "Plastic" After Shave, followed by Ibiza Aloe Aloe Vera Cream.

Morning @Blademonkey - tagging you to give an update on the Rocnel SE-G.

Second shave with the Rocnel SE-G - much improved. Yesterday, I had the cap of the razor close if not on the face for the bulk of the shave as a reference point in trying to maintain the angle, me thinking that was the correct/normal/usual approach.

A quick Google this morning, found differing views on the best way to angle a GEM razor. The majority of the posts I found suggested that the cap should not be held on the face. (Please correct me if this is not the accepted opinion).

Changed the angle, with much better results. The audio feedback sounded better - more of a cutting sound and less scraping.

Did a 2 pass shave. No issues with the first pass, WTG. No weepers (like yesterday after the first pass). I could have stopped there. However, felt confident and happier, went for a second pass.

The second pass was okay. Shaving XTG on the face - no issues. Went ATG on the neck, which normally works out fine, some, not as much as compared to yesterday irritation. A couple of weepers, but again inconsequential compared to yesterday.

The skin on my face feels much better.

To sum up day 2 much, much better - once I got the angle of the razor sorted. Still some work to do.

With best wishes,

Chris

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – Weber ARC
Blade – Astra S/S
Brush - The 'Americana' (Shavemac 24/48 D01 2 Band)
Soap – Tallow+Steel : Classic
Post - Cold water rinse / Barrister & Mann Latha Taiga Post-Shave Splash

Wonderful! Tallow+Steel (in any formulation) + The 'Americana' is always going to be a pleasure. In fact, if I had the funds, I'd buy another D01 2 Band in a heartbeat.. and the B+M Latha Taiga Post-Shave Splash is a cedar lovers dream.. BOOOOOOM! :)

CC = Closed Comb. In this case, it's the head of a Merkur 23c, but it is my understanding that all Merkur three-piece razors with a closed comb have identical heads. (There seems to be debate on whether the 34c and 38c have the same head as well, only mounted to the handle, or if theirs are different. To me, the 34c does indeed feel a bit different.)

Lol...my bad. I thought there was some
Secret merkur i never knew about.

Morning shave.

Baxters of California Face Wash.
NSS Lemon, Basil & Mandarin Traditional Soap.
Semogue 620.
EJD89.
Astra SP (1).
Thayers Witch Hazel (unscented).
OSP Lemon & Cedarwood Aftershave.

After a run of exceptional shaves using the Merkur 37C and particularly the Rockwell 6C, I thought I would reach for the EJD89, my first DE razor, to see how it compares. The result was a BBS. But I know I used more strokes to achieve this, and I had to work for longer on my neck. So there was just a touch of post shave irritation. I do still love my EJD89, and I will still use it occasionally. But whenever I do I will settle for a DFS. I also thought it was time to give the Maseto a break. The Semogue 620 is a lovely little brush. Have a great Sunday gents.

Sunday's shave.

Pre-shave - Hot shower, Aloe Vera soap, followed by warm water splash and Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep + (liberally applied). .
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 2).
Soap - Executive Shaving Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol "Plastic" After Shave, followed by Ibiza Aloe Aloe Vera Cream.

Morning @Blademonkey - tagging you to give an update on the Rocnel SE-G.

Second shave with the Rocnel SE-G - much improved. Yesterday, I had the cap of the razor close if not on the face for the bulk of the shave as a reference point in trying to maintain the angle, me thinking that was the correct/normal/usual approach.

A quick Google this morning, found differing views on the best way to angle a GEM razor. The majority of the posts I found suggested that the cap should not be held on the face. (Please correct me if this is not the accepted opinion).

Changed the angle, with much better results. The audio feedback sounded better - more of a cutting sound and less scraping.

Did a 2 pass shave. No issues with the first pass, WTG. No weepers (like yesterday after the first pass). I could have stopped there. However, felt confident and happier, went for a second pass.

The second pass was okay. Shaving XTG on the face - no issues. Went ATG on the neck, which normally works out fine, some, not as much as compared to yesterday irritation. A couple of weepers, but again inconsequential compared to yesterday.

The skin on my face feels much better.

To sum up day 2 much, much better - once I got the angle of the razor sorted. Still some work to do.

With best wishes,

Chris
Thanks for the tag Chris, I will be using one of these in a pass around so am very interested to see how you are finding the shaving experience . Paul.

This is my first SOTD with a picture!, I have done previous SOTD but haven't included a picture so here we go!

Prep; Shower with face wash
Cream; T&H Apsley Shave cream
Razor; Parker 99R
Razor Blade; Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
Brush; Simpsons Best Badger

This is my 3rd week of using the Apsley shave cream and I really like it still the smell, lather, cushion and slickness are all top notch, the Parker 99r is a new razor to me as well I am in the middle of writing my first review ad I will put it up in the DE Razor section of this forum for anyone interested, as I had 2 days worth of Stubble I paired it with the sharper Gillette Yellow as opposed to the usual GSB I use and it mowed the stubble down and was very smooth and quite sharp you could feel it therefore as I shave daily the Yellow will probably not be my daily choice. The Simpsons brush is new to me aswell its my next step up as I usually use a pure badger and its great.

20170723_1044421_zpsahriz5ay.jpg
Congrats on your first picture SOTD! :)

SOTD: 22/07/27
View attachment 27313
Prep:
Hot Shower with L'Occitaine Cade soap. warm flannel to face, Gorgeous.
Blade: Gem #1
Razor: Every Ready 1912 (on Loan)
Brush:
Maseto 26mm Silvertip with Faux Tortoise Shell Barber Handle
Soap: L&L Harmony, (Dragons Blood, Nag, Champa, Bamboo.) Bison Tallow/Lanolin/Botanicals
Post: Thayers Witch Hazel & BBA Post Balm containing Dragons Blood
EDT: Joop (Original)

They say there is a first time for everything and todays shave was certainly that. :)
I have never used the 1912 before or indeed a vintage razor and this was also my first time shaving with an SE Razor.
I have been sitting and admiring the Maseto Brush so today was the day that I wanted to use it for my special shave.
Again the L&L Harmony was a first and one I shall be returning to very quickly.

Anyway to the shave. It is very rarely that I am stuck for words when I want to describe a razors performance but in this instance I truly am. Dare I say it but this is the BEST shave I have ever had. A three pass shave WTG/XTG/ATG with a couple of touch ups has left me Dolphin smooth with no cuts, no weepers, no burns. I am literally blown away by how this razor performed. If you like audibility in your razor then look no further. It shouts down your ear drum with every cut of the whiskers. Superb. These blades are also amazing.
May I take this opportunity to give a big shout out to @Blademonkey for the loan of this razor and the huge quantity of blades he sent me. Through your tuition I am over the moon mate. Why don't they make these anymore. Am I missing a trick? Your support as always, is so much appreciated mate.

Now to the brush, as mentioned another first with me, The brush is silky smooth, did not loose one hair and has good backbone. Face Lathering is made so much easier with these outstandingly priced brushes. A Delight to use.

The L&L produced a thick cushioned silky smooth lather leaving a lovely scent of nag and champa incense that remained well beyond the shave. This is top stuff but if I had any slight criticism then maybe my face was left a little dry.
The BBA Post Balm soon sorted that out.

Finishing off with a couple of squirts of Joop Original I have a beaming smile on my face and the 1912 is now the next razor I will be buying.

Truly Outstanding!

Enjoy your shaves,
Wayne :D

A 1912 is hard to beat. Great pic as well.

Back
Top Bottom