SHARK BLADES

What are your views on Shark blades....I've just been trying Shark Super Chrome...and can't say as I'm overly impressed.... so far I've only used two blades..But not even close to Feathers in terms of smoothness and closeness of shave...

First Shark Blade.....
First shave ..... Merkur 38c with Palmolive soap.....blade pulling on the whiskers.
Second shave ..Merkur 38c with Trumpers Violet...blade still pulling
Third shave.....Merkur 38c with Nanny's Rose Geranium........blade still pulling.. very blunt before end of shave...

Second Shark Blade...
First shave .......Merkur Futur...set at 3...Palmolive soap...blade pulling..
Second shave....Merkur Futur..set at 3...TOB Jermyn street...Blade pulling..had to finish shave with a new blade...as it left so much stubble...

These shaves are ...WTG...XTG....ATG...my usual system for trying new blades...I try to keep some sort of uniformity so I can form some sort of assessment..

Will try with the New Muhle 41r tomorrow....see if they work in that...the Feathers in the 41r were a bit too much for my "delicate little hide"....

Have I just got a delicate hide and Steel whiskers....or what?...:huh:

Usually its a matter of thorough prep and finding the right razor/blade combo, if they really aren't sharp enough just try something else.

From what I've seen on here most people like the Shark stainless, and the Super Chrome even more so. I've only used the Super Chromes twice but they were pretty good. I think all Sharks are pretty good - above avergae smoothness and sharpness yet very low price if you shop around on the internet. I think that's why people seem to rate them, but people will correct me if I'm wrong. It can't hurt that they are still in production either!

Just remember that if you're comparing sharpness against a Feather you'll almost certainly be disappointed - Feathers are probably agreed by the majority to be the sharpest of all blades.

Everyone's different though... sharpness/smoothness/longevity all have to be balanced. What's important to you?

I've got some Red Personna's on the way.....and I still have a few blades I've yet to try....It would be nice to find a catch all blade at a reasonable price that suits every occasion...But I have to find something I can use in the.... 41r as well...Trial run with the Sharks tomorrow.....fingers crossed.

The Feathers will do very nicely for everything else...But Not in the 41r..Antdad suggested Sharks for the Muhle so we'll give it a try.......What I really trying to do is to find my Ideal blade/s..... then I can stock up.....some more!!...........................Its all good fun anyway.

Thanks Guys

I see what you're saying. The ideal blade to stock up. I love my Rapira blades but bizarrely they don't seem to work well in most Gillette razors I've used (even adjustable ones). They are smooth and sharp in my Merkur 38R but tug in my Fatboy and New. This is an example of what I think is important about DE shaving - different blades work differently and in different razors. While I've stocked up on Astras - they are sharp, smooth and work equally well in merkurs and Gillettes (for me at least) so I guess they are my preferred blade to stock up on, I have more Rapira than Astras because they're cheaper.

Maybe it'll be a lot simpler for you!

For me, Sharks are a very average blade, not particularly sharp, not particularly smooth, but not particularly bad either. You are right that it's just finding a make that you personally really like. People here were very positive about them towards the beginning of this year so they were always on my "to try" list. I swapped a few packs with another member about 3 months back and it was just kind of meh.... of course that's what this whole thing is about, the sheer amount of tinkering and personal preference. Customisation if you like. I was lukewarm on them though.

Have you tried any of the Gillette 7 o'clock range yet?

No haven't tried 7 o'clocks yet...they're next on the list.....

Can't go getting too many at once or questions will be asked......Already we get the question when a parcel arrives of..."Is it more shaving soap"......have to reply..."of course not Dear..Perish the thought..its a new razor".....

I'm just toying with the idea of making a nice Walnut cabinet with lots of drawers to keep all my shaving gear in at the moment...my son likes that idea....but then he would........some day he'll inherit it......

Canuck said:
For me, Sharks are a very average blade, not particularly sharp, not particularly smooth, but not particularly bad either. You are right that it's just finding a make that you personally really like. People here were very positive about them towards the beginning of this year so they were always on my "to try" list. I swapped a few packs with another member about 3 months back and it was just kind of meh.... of course that's what this whole thing is about, the sheer amount of tinkering and personal preference. Customisation if you like. I was lukewarm on them though.

Have you tried any of the Gillette 7 o'clock range yet?

I picked up 25 of the Yellows on E Bay a couple of weeks ago, used two of them so far and liked them. That said, I only got my first DE razor on August 6, so these are only the third blade I have tried (Wilkinson sword that came with razor and 10 Treet durasharp I picked up cheaply to get me started).

They came in 5 boxes of 5, so I'm happy to trade a box of 5 for 5 of yours if you want to try them? PM me.

It's all about matching the blade with the right razor and personally I don't like Sharks in anything but NEW(s) or NEW Improved(s) where the aggression can in many ways make up for the blades apparent lack of effectiveness in milder razors.

A blade sampler pack from Connaught might be exactly what you are looking for.

If you think that the Sharks are not sharp enough, you're in for a real treat with the Red Personnas, as they're less sharp.

Astras are nice, but, as somebody as already mentioned, if you are comparing with Feathers.....

Ian

I've only ever tried the Shark super stainless and am unimpressed by them (I'll happily swap you some super stainless for some of your superchrome but only because I've heard the Superchrome are better)

This is one of the reasons that I always try a new brand in an adjustable razor. That why you can richly tell if it's the blade or the razor combination. Start on two then move through the numbers. It's easier that taking it out of one razor putting it into another etc, I don't know; makes sense to me.

Paul_D said:
I've only ever tried the Shark super stainless and am unimpressed by them (I'll happily swap you some super stainless for some of your superchrome but only because I've heard the Superchrome are better)

Sorry Paul they've gone... quite a while ago....I passed them on to my son to try and he in turn passes whats left on to his mates...

Used a Shark, actually my wife did, in a slim adjustable, set at 2 on Monday. She didn't have a problem. I would have known if she did.

Back
Top Bottom