September 2016 acquisitions

Picked up this gold coloured kinda generic DE razor from eBay for a couple of quid; thought I'd have a play.
I was looking for a easy/mildish razor to travel with because I never seem to get as comfortable a shave when I'm on holiday, so thought this cheap razor would be good for a quick & easy shave. This one was in surprisingly good condition and the handle is solid making the razor a decent 55g weight. I particularly like that the cap as it has four corner tabs to hold the blade straight - I don't know why this isn't used more.

Tried it this morning with a Rapira Swedish Super Steel blade (which I find quite nicely aggressive and sharp) and the razor performed wonderfully. Not mild nor too aggressive, very easy to use - just the job for holidays. In fact just as good as my ATT R1 !

The only down side is that I'm pretty sure I could detect a faint fishy smell! WTF! Maybe my imagination but does anyone know a metal that would smell like fish? I had previously scrupulously cleaned and sterilised the razor and there are no marks or debris etc.

Another question for you. Does anyone know what this razor is called (apart from generic DE razor)?

Acquire_20160924-2_zpsvdbbecdo.jpg

Acquire_20160924-3_zpsg8ftgn2e.jpg

Acquire_20160924-4_zpsbocn9vm8.jpg
It's got a kind of Gillette look (especially the base plate). My (extremely limited) guess might be a replated Gillette head/baseplate with a different handle. Replated 'Frankenrazor'? It's a beauty, whatever it is.

20160924_164835.jpg 20160924_164850.jpg 20160924_164905.jpg 20160924_164926.jpg Got hold of an English 1912 Ever Ready, with Bakelite box (c/w little compartments to store blades) from the bay. Small chip on box; but razor looks in great condition, with a typically strong spring (it's great how the 1912 patents retain their strength; considering they could have been built 1912-1930s/40s).

I'm looking forward to comparing with the US 1912 for performance; as the latter according to those in the know is the milder.

Last edited:
Very nice mate, worth the wait. I must get one now, it looks great in your hand, any thoughts?

Not yet. I'll be using it later today or tomorrow. I'll be posting my thoughts in SOTD in due course.

The service from The Different Scent (Germany) was excellent. I ordered it Tuesday afternoon and arrived this morning. As you can see it was packed really well, plus a couple of scent cards (opening the box smells amazing), plus a shaving cream sample.

Not yet. I'll be using it later today or tomorrow. I'll be posting my thoughts in SOTD in due course.

The service from The Different Scent (Germany) was excellent. I ordered it Tuesday afternoon and arrived this morning. As you can see it was packed really well, plus a couple of scent cards (opening the box smells amazing), plus a shaving cream sample.
A fine brush indeed, well done, good choice. Am I jealous , hell yes!

Looks a cracker...enjoy!!

Quite a bit has changed since I last posted in here. I've been using the same handful of shaving gear for years however decided that on my birthday at the start of September I'd take a second dance with the FuturView attachment 20895

I've also purchased 2 bottles of Lorenzo Villoresi EDT which are currently en route.
A belated happy birthday to you, a nice present you bought yourself .

image.jpg image.jpg Recevied today bought from a fourm member my Shavemac silvertip two band D01 27 x 54mm a absolutely superb brush and although it can't be seen in the picture the handle has a wonderful iridescence shinning through.
I will be useing it for my Sunday shave and will post my thoughts on SOTD.
A big thank you going out to @MPH for his speed of light dispatch of my brush and the professional packing, THANK YOU. See what I did there, big thank you....never mind!

Back
Top Bottom