Sending money abroad

I use paypal to send money to relatives in the USA. And I use paypal when it is offered on Ebay or on websites here and abroad.

Occasionally I send money abroad where I cannot use cards or paypal. So I pay Santander £25 for using telegraphic transfer.

Some organisations abroad accept payment by Western Union. Does anyone have experience of them? Sometimes I want to pay for a relatively low cost item so telegraphic transfer makes the cost prohibitive. So I'm thinking of registering with Western Union but know nothing about them.

If it's for low value items, I've struck deals in the past to either send them something of similar value or headed off to the bank and drawn the appropriate currency and sent it registered. This has worked on both a personal level and with small businesses that don't offer a card/paypal option.

I also have many many friends all over the world and either one of them is there or knows someone that is :)

Not used WU for about 20 years - too many scammers with deceased relatives in Nigeria live there.

I've used Western Union in the past; found it quite expensive, but sometimes the only way to get money to very remote places and to people without bank accounts. People sometimes pay me by just making a transfer online from their bank to mine. I don't think it costs either party anything that way. You just need the a/c number, name of bank and sort code I think. Which is no more information than is on a cheque or debit card.

It's certainly worth asking your own bank the cost of a direct bank transfer if the recipient does indeed have a valid bank account. Between UK bank accounts it is usually free, mine (HSBC) charges for transfers to foreign accounts but I have also as HM has done sent the currency direct by registered mail.

Before you send that money to Nigeria have a look at this site

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.419eater.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.419eater.com/</a><!-- m -->

:lol:

soapalchemist said:
People sometimes pay me by just making a transfer online from their bank to mine. I don't think it costs either party anything that way. You just need the a/c number, name of bank and sort code I think. Which is no more information than is on a cheque or debit card.

That's how it currently works in the EEA, the European Economic Area, sort of EU-plus. A couple of years ago, international bank transfers would be rather costly -- but these days, transfers within the EEA are almost as smooth as national transfers, and just as cheap.

Back
Top Bottom