Semogue LE 2009 - What can I expect?

Tried my Semogue LE 2009 this morning for the first time with, I have to say, rather disappointing results. Simply couldn't work up any meaningful lather from the soap, which offered up what can only be described as a coffee-coloured cream! Tried different amounts of water, but this only seemed to make things worse!

Does this brush take time to break in? Does it perform better after continued use?

Having said all that, it really is an attractive brush, and one I'm hopeful of mastering.

Here's a big thread on it:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1573</a><!-- l -->

Have you used a boar before? If not it will take a bit of getting used to after a badger. You really need to squeeze most of the water from a boar brush otherwise you end up with sloppy lather.

Most people found that some dye bleeds out for the first few latherings, myself including. Things improve greatly after you've used it for a while, so a few dummy runs as Fido says are worthwhile.

My experience with the LE 2009 is that it is a very good boar brush, but still a boar brush. It bled dye for the first 5-10 runs. It didn't need much breaking in (less runs than required for the dye bleed anyway). It generates a decent lather, but not quicker than a good badger brush. What defines it as a boar is the inability to hold much water, and with that, the inability to hold a decent amount of lather.

So, would I choose the LE 2009 as my boar of choice, yes, most likely; but, would I choose the LE 2009 as my favorite brush? No, I much prefer a decent badger brush.

Did you manager to get a new one? not many of them left I suspect. Yes it bled colour for the first few uses and it does get better. As Fido said it is my favourite boar brush but not my favourite brush. I have learned that I just prefer badger.

Yes - Fido was kind enough to sell me his spare, and this is my first boar. What exactly does 'broken in' mean in the context of the boar brush? And in what way does it improve? Does it become softer? Does it create a better lather? Or what?

factormax said:
Yes - Fido was kind enough to sell me his spare, and this is my first boar. What exactly does 'broken in' mean in the context of the boar brush? And in what way does it improve? Does it become softer? Does it create a better lather? Or what?

The tips of the hairs will split giving you 'more' hairs and as they are thinner it will feel softer and will hold more lather.

When new, this is a particularly stiff brush. It won't come into its own until it is given a few lathering sessions, preferably with a hard soap. Then it will soon soften up enough to perform effectively and comfortably. After seeing this thread again I got mine out and gave it a swirl on a C&E Sienna puck. Super lather soon formed and a spot of face lathering was very comfortable. Use more rather than less water and you will soon generate enough lather for a decent shave. Give it a chance and it will serve you well.

Mine took about 20 shaves to fully break....Most people seemed to get it in less than half of that time though. Be patient & it will reward you well.

fozz77 said:
Mine took about 20 shaves to fully break....Most people seemed to get it in less than half of that time though. Be patient & it will reward you well.

Does this include lather test runs or no? Thanks

UPDATE

Following my original post on my experiences with this brush, I completed eight or so dummy runs, and today had my first 'successful' shave with the Semogue LE 2009, if success can be defined as whipping up a satisfactory lather and comfortably applying it to my face. For the record, the soap used was Olgalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood. The brush seems a lot softer than when I first used it, though still with a good stiffness. Also, it seems to splay out a lot more after rinsing, which I take as a positive sign of breaking in.

I look forward to further developments with the Semogue LE 2009, and suspect this is going to become one of my very favourite brushes.

Back
Top Bottom