Semogue 2000 cracking

Is anybody starting to experience any cracking on there 2000 it seems to around the collar ring i have spoken to other 2000 users on other forums and they are getting the same sort of thing.

DSC00113.jpg

Sfar sI understand it, they use (used to use?) a fairly substandard varnish (maybe even cellulose lacquer) to finish the handles -- I seem to remember that I've read somewhere that they've since upgraded to a better varnish.

I would probably strip the handle and put two-three coats of a marine spar varnish on it.

Henk

Yeah same thing has happened to mine. So I suppose like Henk has said these could well be part of an older batch. Wonder if this has anything to do with the prices going-up [maybe due to a new batch?].

Thanks Henk as per usual you are mind of useful information i think i wouldn't mind a dark stain handle, sorry to hear you are having the same problem Zig Zag, We could start a new customised semogue 2000 club :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I suppose there's always that option, but I bought that brush for about a tenner and to be honest it just seems to much bother for a cheap boar-hair brush. May as well use it untill it falls to bits then buy another. Less hassle and all the fun of buying a new brush, though not another 2000.

Folks, if you have a small cabinetmaking business nearby (ideally they would do some trade in kitchens), you might do well to ask them if they would refinish the handle with AC lacquer. Nobody I know would accept payment for this if approached nicely.

Stuff that is made from wood and gets wet on a regular basis (probably, in the case of a brush, never completely drying) is going to suffer from some sort of moisture ingress issues unless a very high quality finish is applied.

For that reason, I'll be sticking to plastic handled brushes.

Ian

Bearing in mind that Semogue must owe a lot of it's recent success to clever marketing through shaving forums, someone on their behalf should comment on this issue and give reassurance that they understand the problem and will do something about it i.e. advice and future intentions.

Judging by the LE brush, it looks like Semogue have addressed this problem. The finish appears to be either melamine or AC lacquer, both of which are known to be durable in almost any application. I agree with Fido though: it would be nice to hear about this from the horse's mouth: perhaps Teiste will be able to comment?

Still on the subject of Boar, though not Semogue, has anyone tried any of the Vulfix boar brushes or the Kent ones? Has anyone got any comments on these?

i've had the VS1 and the VS5

i gave the VS1 to SirPrize and the VS5 to a mate

for boar i prefer the Omega 49 or Semogue 2000 but the Vulfix 404 mix is a better all round option and cheaper as well

zig zag said:
Still on the subject of Boar, though not Semogue, has anyone tried any of the Vulfix boar brushes or the Kent ones? Has anyone got any comments on these?

I'm currrently using a VS/3 which I have used since I bought it about 3 weeks ago. I am very pleased with it. So pleased, in fact, that my Simpson Best Badger Special hasn't got a look in. Only £6.50 from John Lewis.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom