Semogue 1305 Support Group

ekeko

Chocoholic
Supporter
Like @shiny and @Digimonkey (any other sufferers?) I have had paint problems with my new Semogue 1305.
I bought mine from The Original Shaving Company via EBay.
I contacted TOSC and got a reply from Mark who asked for more info from me which I sent. I sent him a couple of fotos. I’m waiting a reply and will keep you posted.

From recent @Digimonkey posting,

BE9309C4-EFE6-483D-9D63-07A05B4BB3F3.png

From me, just a crack starting but only used 3x.

1D6B87FD-8DBB-490D-BD2F-CAAD082E74BA.jpeg

had a 1305 for about 5 years paint on mine chipped after two years use approx , so i sanded off the rest of the paint on the handle with 80 grit ,then worked up through the grits of sandpaper till i was happy with the handle & coated it with a dozen coats of just plain old olive oil. looks & works fine IMHO ....
Yes, I think that’s the the way to go, I’ll leave it a while til i think it needs renovating. I let the seller of mine know of the problem as some positive feedback hopefully to warn the manufacturer to improve its future production process. Reputation is all. I didn’t think it needed nor expected a product recall. (y)

Like @shiny and @Digimonkey (any other sufferers?) I have had paint problems with my new Semogue 1305.
I bought mine from The Original Shaving Company via EBay.
I contacted TOSC and got a reply from Mark who asked for more info from me which I sent. I sent him a couple of fotos. I’m waiting a reply and will keep you posted.

From recent @Digimonkey posting,f

View attachment 98609

From me, just a crack starting but only used 3x.

View attachment 98610
This was one of my first brushes and it was fantastic!
After about a year the paint work started to crack, deep cracks right down to the wood base.
I had not dropped it or mistreated it in any way but the cracks appeared.
It was an inexpensive brush and I didn't want flake's of paint falling into my lather so I retired the brush from service and it spent the rest of its life as a dusting tool and very good it was at that too!
This problem is not going to go away and I feel it's because the wood was not treated with a primer before the rather plastic like paint was applied.
One could sand it down and repaint or wax it I suppose and it would be worth it because it is a lovely brush.
Would I buy another, no I don't think so, this problem with the paint cracking has been going on for years.
For it to happen to a new brush is poor, and you should be able to get it replaced or get a refund.

Paul.

Morals of the story:

No good comes of buying green and white brushes/anything.
Paint the shed, not yer brush.
Paint is not for Christmas and it’s not fer shaving brushes neither.
Paint on, shave, paint off.
Paint of green shall quickly chip and lose its sheen.
One green and white swine (@Mike Smart) on the forum is enough without you lot starting daddy day care for him. (How’s Brazil, me old mucker?)
Maroon paint doesn’t show on a maroon jersey but green paint does.
Green is for plants and not for much else.
Paint stripper? Please don’t treat your strippers this way as management won’t tolerate it especially if you use green paint.
Matron looks great in green but better in nylon/spandex/rubber/leather.
If you’re green around the gills it’s probably not good but if you’re maroon around the gills, well done for choosing the correct scarf.
People have been green with envy but never envious of green.
Our land is green and pleasant, our football teams and shaving brushes aren’t.

And lastly, just to prove my point on green: Hibs got pumped 3-0 by Hearts on January 2nd. That’s why I have a heart pumping in my chest and not a hib.

Semogue. Paint? NO!

My true opinion is actually that it is a great looking wee brush and I can imagine it being a belter especially for the money. I’ll stick with the comments on shaving brushes and paint though.

Sand or carefully use paint stripper to get the paint off. Proceed through the grits and you could go really wild here. 80, 120, 240, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2500. If you ensure that the scratches left by the last grit are removed by the current grit and you go all the way to 2500. The would will have a glass like surface finish and feel almost like resin. Otherwise just stop at 400 or 600.

If you’ve already got a decent quality Danish oil, that’ll do nicely. If not, a hard wax oil like Chestnut available online is amazing stuff and suitable for floors. It’s what I use on my own hand-carved brushes. If the metal ring wasn’t present at the top and I knew for certain that it was hard and not softwood under the paint, I’d have offered to carve the paint off leaving behind neat facets instead. Makes for a harder wearing finish and better grip.

I have one which I bought probably 10 years ago. Still in the box unused. Would it be sensible to treat it with Renaissance Wax before I use it for the first time?
It wouldn’t hurt but I’d be tempted to polish before or after every use. Great stuff renaissance wax but probably not a cure for the paint. I just don’t see why a manufacturer would think such a finish would last?

Morals of the story:

No good comes of buying green and white brushes/anything.
Paint the shed, not yer brush.
Paint is not for Christmas and it’s not fer shaving brushes neither.
Paint on, shave, paint off.
Paint of green shall quickly chip and lose its sheen.
One green and white swine (@Mike Smart) on the forum is enough without you lot starting daddy day care for him. (How’s Brazil, me old mucker?)
Maroon paint doesn’t show on a maroon jersey but green paint does.
Green is for plants and not for much else.
Paint stripper? Please don’t treat your strippers this way as management won’t tolerate it especially if you use green paint.
Matron looks great in green but better in nylon/spandex/rubber/leather.
If you’re green around the gills it’s probably not good but if you’re maroon around the gills, well done for choosing the correct scarf.
People have been green with envy but never envious of green.
Our land is green and pleasant, our football teams and shaving brushes aren’t.

And lastly, just to prove my point on green: Hibs got pumped 3-0 by Hearts on January 2nd. That’s why I have a heart pumping in my chest and not a hib.

Semogue. Paint? NO!
kermit-muppet.gif

Back
Top Bottom