Second Set Of Scales

Here is my second try at scales these took a lot longer to make that the first set. Had to cut them out of a block of acrylic then file and sanded them very thin (Hard work with just needle files and sand paper) I did them as thin as I dare because I knew that the wedge would be large to get the blade to sit low in the scales like I wanted and I didn’t want them to be to heavy. I made the scale tops the same curve as the razor to make it more pleasing to the eye. The wedge was made out of roofers lead doubled over then hammered into shape. The reasoning behind the use of 2 washers per side was to spread the force of the pin over a larger area so I didn’t crack the scales.

Attachments

• 0906050087.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 85
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 82
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 81
Mate they look especially nice and the razor is almost unrecognisable! As audio said
Hard work does tend to pay off. How long did it take to grind the chunk out?

I should have the joseph rodgers back this week Neils finishing it in ebony. But due to
Work commitments I'm I wales,no sheep jokes!
So Neil gets a bit of breathing space for a week. Hopfully he will post another pic when
Its done so you will probally see it before me.

It didnt take that long to get the nick out of the blade I think it was about half hour, cleaning the blade took about 5 and the scales took about 6 it is half way to been shave ready I got fed up working on it to be truthfull so I stopped will finish it some time this week. I bought it from SRP as part of a pair which needed restoring they cost me $18.00 for the pair inc postage to the UK which I thought was a good deal. The other one just needed grinding back and resharpening and it shaves very well. Hopefully this one will be as good.

Some more photos I have another one that is finished that Im shaving with this week. I will post photos later.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 75
  • IMG_0774.JPG
  • IMG_0781.JPG
Back
Top Bottom