SE Razors- Which Type do you use most

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
Like many who decided that Cart Razors were not for them, I took up use of DE Razors. Then after starting to look at Forums, I became aware of other types of Razor.
My first change from DE was to Vintage SE using Gem blades, and I rather went overboard on buying those from the early 1900s to the 50s.
A loaned Injector got me hooked on them too, so again I have amassed a bit of a collection.

For quite some time I was very happy to rotate my Shaves, between those using Gem blades and Injectors. Then I tried an AC/ SE and fell down another rabbit hole.

After some time I found that rotations were taking so long ( far too many Razors ), and cut out some from the rotations as being too mild, especially on the Injector side, but still use a lot of them. On the Gem side I probably will use perhaps 5 different types per Rotation.

I now find that I tend to use AC/SEs most , as I personally find them to be so forgiving, but still deliver a top notch finish. Whereas the likes of Vintage/ Gem types require more care and attention to avoid mishap. Though getting a Top Notch finish with a Streamline as I did today is very rewarding.
I am now finding that the Razor Type I use most is :-
1 AC/ SE
2 Vintage Injectors
3 Vintage SE- Gem blades. I have tried some modern ones but not keen.
Just wonder if other folk veer towards using different types rather than others.

When I do, it's a vintage GEM style ... and that's (still) my preference. I have one AC style razor, the Hawk V3, and even then I'm not that bothered about it personally finding it little different to a cartridge shave but not as fool-proof nor as smooth. Enjoyable, though.

I enjoyed the Personna shaper single edge blades, particularly in a vintage Weck but that's more disposable blade straight edge shaving. I do have one of the pathology/surgical T-Type razors from Weck, but it's a raw experience compared to injector or SE style T-Types.

Drop a fresh GEM into a Damaskeene or a 1907 and my heart goes a flutter :love:

Last edited:
I tend to use ACs more often than anything else, and I like all the modern ones, with the OREN at the top of the list, but I mix it up with modern injectors (Supply V1 and MARS), vintage injectors (Schick, PAL) and Gem razors (Blackland Sabre, Rocnel SE-G and the rest vintage, of which my favourite is a Natural Angle). I've also dived into the half-DE SE field (Twig, Rocnel, Focus), but, for some reason, they don't do a lot for me.

Occasionally I get out my Wilkinson Empire 7-Day, get an edge on a blade and have a go with that, and the same with one of the several Rolls that I've inherited. That's more a test to confirm that I can still handle them, rather than an eagerly-anticipated pleasure

I never use a DE blade more than thrice, and I sometimes think that the comparative longevity of the three types of "proper" SE blade is a disadvantage, as it lengthens the time in rotation and thus shortens that for other razors, but then the parsimonious streak in me takes over, and it's "isn't SE blade economy wonderful".

I started a spreadsheet in March this year and listed all my shaves; 109 so far, all SE.
When sorted by blade type, top of the chart at 47% are GEM type razors (both vintage and 3D) followed by 28% AC type, closely followed by 23% Injector type. Way down at 2% was ½DE type.
I have way more GEM type razors than AC and Injectors together, that could explain the %ages.

All the above shows what a sad b*****d I am, as I mostly choose my shave ingredients on a whim anyway.

When I first started this wet shaving game I wanted to try every type of razor, I loved the injector razor's and then I found the Ever-Ready 1912 and found I liked the Gem blade and this went on for a couple of years as well as using DE razor's.
I then found out about the AC blades and the razor's they were used in and these became my favourite format.
The only downside to trying out all of the different blades and the razor's they fit into is you end up with a razor collection that demand you have to buy all the different blades for, I never wanted to be a razor collector I just wanted to find that perfect razor, and it took a long time for me to work out what was the best razor / blade format for me.
To be honest I did really like the injector razor's so I have bought myself a vintage injector razor to remind myself of lovely injector shaves I used to have,. Just a little nod to the past of vintage razor's and my shaving journey with them and who knows , I may even purchase a ER 1912 for kicks but I am now coming from a position of experience so there will be no more razor collecting just mixing it up with some different shaves. :)

Paul.

I only own two Se’s
A vintage Pal & an Occam’s Oren
sorry 2 Occam’s Oren’s and i like both with the Oren getting used more & more.
I will get some more vintage in the future but i don’t want to go down another Rabbit Hole so refuse to buy modern.
I guess as wet shavers it’s nice to have a selection of different types of razor but for me my head firmly in the hole ( excuse the pun )
and i don’t want my head in another hole
unless she asks nicely

When I first started this wet shaving game I wanted to try every type of razor, I loved the injector razor's and then I found the Ever-Ready 1912 and found I liked the Gem blade and this went on for a couple of years as well as using DE razor's.
I then found out about the AC blades and the razor's they were used in and these became my favourite format.
The only downside to trying out all of the different blades and the razor's they fit into is you end up with a razor collection that demand you have to buy all the different blades for, I never wanted to be a razor collector I just wanted to find that perfect razor, and it took a long time for me to work out what was the best razor / blade format for me.
To be honest I did really like the injector razor's so I have bought myself a vintage injector razor to remind myself of lovely injector shaves I used to have,. Just a little nod to the past of vintage razor's and my shaving journey with them and who knows , I may even purchase a ER 1912 for kicks but I am now coming from a position of experience so there will be no more razor collecting just mixing it up with some different shaves. :)

Paul.
Hi Paul,
If you want a 1912 I still have a few, and mostly in cases PM me if you want one.
Mike

funnily enough I've been using SE razors more of recent and tbh at first i didnt get the buzz behind se razors but because ive been using SE razors recently i think i get it why some people love/like them and theyre really growing on me

i got a fair few injector blades with my supply razors so enjoyed using them,
but one razor inparticular i love is the vintage pal injector razor i got,
its got a small, nimble head and a very quick shave without being worried of getting any nicks etc

i'd say its about slightly less then medium aggression but the aggression is just right that it knocks everything down,
the pal injector to me is what the schick shouldve been as in the aggression,
schick is just a tad too mild, btw think i got the schick L dont remember exactly

ive got the razorrock hawk 2 and used the AC razor a few times, not sure what to think as they seemed to be sharp as any feather de blades ive used

oh yea i did use the vintage pal injector blades with the pal razor and those were good,
i do remember someone mentioning that theyre not really good but suppose YMMV

btw i do see some people like the youtuber subie shaves seems to only use one side of a DE razor,
as in only load up one side, any of you SE lovers ever done that?

i dont really se the point in it myself but i could think maybe a head shaveer might do it to avoid getting nicks around the ear? not sure...

Back
Top Bottom