Scutttle, bowl… whatever…

Chaps,

Since starting this all a few weeks ago I have accumulated a fair chunk of bits and bobs, but I have a hankering for something to swirl the old brush around and lather up properly – it's just another stage of "the madness". I managed to pick up what I reckon was someone's pottery experiment/project from school college – a was a small cup, glazed on the inside (maybe a coffee cup). It cost me the princely sum of 50p, but I look at it and think that it's not really want I want to use even though it's just fine.

Any thoughts/recommendations on something that actually does the job properly. I'm kind of getting a bit OCD about this – I kind of want something that matches what I perceive to the "classy" act of shaving properly. I also like the idea of having a "man-shelf" in the bathroom; moreover, SWMBO kind of likes a bit of order and "properness" too.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Lipsy

Just about any bowl will do the job. If you really want something special, a local potter will turn out a bowl like this with little ridges which help to speed up the lathering:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-shaving-bowl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/20 ... -bowl.html</a><!-- m -->

What i have is a Steve Woodhead Pottery Mug and Bowl, mine are in a cream colour and looks very nice in the bathroom too, the mug is just the right size for the brushes and the ridges on the inside of the Bowl help whip up lather in no time at all.

Steve will do them in different colours and styles etc etc, a few of the Chaps on here have them as well...

You can buy Steve's work through E-Bay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Steve-Wood...45999319&_sid=883639309&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

or mail him: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:steve.woodhead@yahoo.com">steve.woodhead@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->

Just one suggestion for you anyway

;)

I was in the same boat as yourself and I have been looking for a wee while.

It has been hard to find anything good value online and I have been looking around quite a few shops to find something I liked the look of without any success.

However, I have just ordered a shaving mug tonight from Connaught Shaving and it cost #5.95 and my total order came to just over #60 so I got the free delivery.

Ever since I've started shaving I've been looking for something as well.. but no luck...
I did buy a stainless steel bowl early on, which I quickly found out was crap for lather. (since it cools down immediately)
So I went back to my cereal bowl, which I've become quite used too.. I'll go and get a nice big cup and saucer maybe sometime.. or go and see a local potter so he can make me something specific ;)
The thicker the bowl, the better it'll keep the heat, and thus keep your lather warm. (this is why the stainless steel one was a bad idea!)

My bowl is a bit on the big side:

EaT85.jpg

Max

Good suggestions thus far, so I will have a look/think… THANKS!

It does seem to be a bit of an issue, though. I have had a nose around, and there isn't much out there.

I do like the whole artisan approach – mebbe we could speak to a potter or this Steve chap and get a TSR branded latherer/bowl/mug/scuttle?

Or is that a dumb idea? I know that anything done by committee can be a bit of nightmare, and maybe it's overstepping the mark a little...

Just a thought – I have something (albeit too thin), but I'd like something.

Lipsy

+1 to pretty much all the suggestions so far.

I have a Steve Woodhead lather bowl, but it's not in use due to a crack in it that I never realised was there, though it's made 'that sound' since I received it in the post. I'm told it's likely to be a 'firing fault/flaw' and had I known that right off of the bat, I'd have contacted Steve about it. By the time I learned better, I figured it was far too late.

Any how, I then moved on to a large soup mug from the 99p Shop, which i did actually drop when I had one of my wonderful nerve/muscle spasms. Just knocked a slight chip out of the far side of the rim, but enough to get rid of it over. And now I have a fairly nice sized mug with steep sides and flat bottom; it works OK, but it isn't the same as the Woodhead lather bowl.

Then again, it hopefully only has a short bit of temporary duty to cover until I get a particular bit of craftsmanship in the post some week soon, with a lucky break or two and a good tailwind when it's shipped from the artisan. I'm very much looking forward to the revelation of how it's turned out, and just exactly what it will look/be like.

... and I've looked around a little bit at trying to find an inexpensive local supplier of Marvy's 'unbreakable rubberised mug', or an equivalent thereof, to no avail as yet. I've seen one of their two plastic models on-line, and US vendors that have it, but that's all so far.

check these out...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/boxersunshine/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shop.ebay.co.uk/boxersunshine/m. ... ksid=p4340</a><!-- m -->

they look cool to me...and at a fiver a pop I think they're worth taking a chance.,

That might be interesting – I wonder (and this might be utterly potty) if collectively we could come up with the 'ultimate' shave/bowl/scuttle combo…? It does seem to be a common problem/issue…

Again, local potter, TSR branded (though how that might work I have no idea, tbh)… Something that we could all agree on (which could also be a problem, I guess), but something we'd all love to use.

Just a 'thunk'.

Lipsy

It's a good idea Lipsy, I think you're going to run into trouble though when you try to get a concensus of opinion. Shaving is such a personal thing, and we all do it slightly differently, and have our own ideas of what's right and so on. However, I may be wrong, see if you can get everyone to agree on a scuttle, and I will watch the replies with interest...

Back
Top Bottom