Scuttles

Scuttles.
You put hot water in to warm your brush. Your soap goes on the top. Marvellous. And the hot flannel goes where?
If the answer is in the sink, why would you need the chamber to warm the brush, just use the sink.

Did the victorians apply lather to a dry face?

Was the standard washing provision for your (posh) Victorian not a big dish and a jug (ewer if you prefer) of (probably cold) water?

Like this -
355_Victorian_Wash_Stand.jpg
(note the gazunder/chamber pot on shelf 2)

Flatfish said:
Scuttles.
You put hot water in to warm your brush. Your soap goes on the top. Marvellous. And the hot flannel goes where?
If the answer is in the sink, why would you need the chamber to warm the brush, just use the sink.

Did the victorians apply lather to a dry face?

I must admit the whole scuttle thing puzzles me a bit too. I'm sure it does keep the brush warm, but it just looks like way too much hassle to me, and I'd probably break it.

But I think there are loads of different scuttles/mugs designed to do different things, from just holding a cake of soap to the fantastic design in HM's photo, it provides a reservoir of hot water to load your brush, holds and softens the soap with steam, and also allows water to drain away from the soap.

@hunnymonster, is that actually your ablutional set up? :D

I used a scuttle for a while, simply to just rest my brush on and to keep it warm, but found that I didn't really gain any advantage from it, and it just took up space and was an extra thing to wash.

Ian

IanM said:
I used a scuttle for a while, simply to just rest my brush on and to keep it warm, but found that I didn't really gain any advantage from it, and it just took up space and was an extra thing to wash.

Ian

Same here.

Thought I was being dead sophistimacated using one that I'd I picked up at a car-boot for £2.

What a faff.

The Americans love 'em though.

I love the word Kludgie!
Bought a Trumpers Officers and Gentlans mug and soap on a whim whilst there, the soap is great but the mug/scuttle thing is daft with hot running water. I can see how it is good if one has to boil a kettle for hot wter but is pointless now.

On a similar thing the Yanks go on abput a hot pot to get hot water, what about the Tefal instant hot water thing, produces just sub boiling water instantly on demand. I am happy with my tap temp, but if you are so inclined then may be a good idea.
I think us Brits are a bit more layed back when it comes to these little things, less fanatical perhaps?

C

ah but 3000rpm on the turbines is a nice round number

as a point of (dis)interest my old man told me the real reason that industry changed from 240 to 110 wasn't safety but to stop people stealing the tools for home

hando said:
ah but 3000rpm on the turbines is a nice round number

as a point of (dis)interest my old man told me the real reason that industry changed from 240 to 110 wasn't safety but to stop people stealing the tools for home

Indeed and why a lot of hospitals etc use "odd" plugs (like a BS1363 but with a round earth pin, or a rotated earth) so you can't take your own telly in and avoid paying £obscene/day - conversely they seem to think that having to change a plug is a deterrent in nicking the gear too.

Anyway - I have a 115/230V generator - no issues here with 110V tools :D

When my place of work burnt to the ground a couple of years ago, the original intention was to provide 110V only, for precisely that reason, until it was pointed out that everybody has at least one 240V charger nowadays (and a 110V box at home).

Arrowhead said:
When my place of work burnt to the ground a couple of years ago, the original intention was to provide 110V only, for precisely that reason, until it was pointed out that everybody has at least one 240V charger nowadays (and a 110V box at home).

Whoa, you actually have dual voltage in the UK? wasn't aware of that. I though everything was already 220/240 over there, with only those damned three-prong fused plugs remaining.

Over here, everything is 220, with additional 380 supplied where heavy machinery needs to be used (step down transfomer facilities, those that convert the transported high voltage to mains supply voltage, actually provide three-phase 380; this is converted to single phase 220 where it enters your home -- if you want you can have the energy company provide you with a direct 380 line as well; at a cost :-( ).

Henk

Back
Top Bottom