Schrägschnitt vs Torsionshobel

J23

I was looking up some history about slant razors and found something interesting on a German shaving forum. I had never really thought about this but it makes sense so I thought why not share it here.

A slant razor or ‘Schrägschnitt’ in German, is nothing more than a razor with a tilted head. A current example would be the Focus Razoblique R77. Basically any razor can be used as a ‘Schrägschnitt’ by simply holding the razor at an angle while shaving. The idea is that it cuts easier because the cut is made at an angle. The same reason why it’s easier to slice bread at an angle. It’s also the basic idea behind a medieval guillotine.

Then there’s the slant razor that is also a ‘Torsionshobel’, a German invention. This is basically a slant razor with a torqued blade that makes it more rigid and supposedly provides an even cleaner and easier cut. Modern examples would be the Razorock German 37 slant and Merkur 37C.

So there you have it. Hope this is helpful.
The original posts from 2007 on the German forum can be found here.

Last edited:
Yes it's an interesting one. A subtle but important distinction between angled and actually twisted. In a bid to avoid further rabbit holes I've yet to try either but I'm sure at some point I'll succumb to curiosity and get a twisted slant like the 37c.

Thanks for the link to the German discussion.

Last edited:
I have several versions of slants, ancient and modern, and I'd say that of the lot, my Ikon "humpback", with its aluminium head and any handle I want to use, is a top performer.

Then there’s the slant razor that is also a ‘Torsionshobel’, a German invention. This is basically a slant razor with a torqued blade that makes it more rigid and supposedly provides an even cleaner and easier cut. Modern examples would be the Razorock German 37 slant and Merkur 37C.
Hold your horses!
It's a British invention. To be precise - a Brummie invention:

Back
Top Bottom