scales

6538952603_52a052abe1_m.jpg

Hello all
The above teddy is holding a set of scales that i have made (bodged together)
just after a bit of help with finishing them off.what is the best way of preserving the wood, oil, varnish ect.
I have read up on the internet but still pretty clueless. there purple heart wood if that helps.
Many thanks and seasons greetings

What type of finnish would you like?

I have finished a set off tonight and just gave them a few coats of beeswax, this will give a nice natural matt/satin finish or the other method I use is superglue which gives a high gloss finish.

Beeswax is simple just wipe on, buff off.

Superglue goes like this...

http://straightrazorplace.com/workshop/64054-ca-super-glue-finishing-hints-tips.html

I use ' Antique oil ', but any oil suitable for outdoor furniture should be fine.

Gunstock oil is good, as is beeswax.

Purpleheart has pretty good water resistance.

I would suggest letting it oxidize in the air before treating it. That way the colour will be a deep purple.

Steve

jaycey said:
What type of finnish would you like?

I have finished a set off tonight and just gave them a few coats of beeswax, this will give a nice natural matt/satin finish or the other method I use is superglue which gives a high gloss finish.

Beeswax is simple just wipe on, buff off.

Superglue goes like this...

http://straightrazorplace.com/workshop/64054-ca-super-glue-finishing-hints-tips.html

Thanks guys
I think the gloss ca finish would look nice but may be a bit too much faff for me at the moment.
Beeswax sounds like it may be the way to go was looking for something simple will leave till next week and see how it goes.

Like Notsharp says, purpleheart has quite good moisture resistance. I use four coats of Renaissance Wax - simple to do and quite effective. Best done before assembly. Make sure you have sanded down everything to perfection first though, and don't forget to flatten the wedge and pivot areas with something like a cabinet makers rasp so the blade centres well.

Oxidising in air certainly improves the colour, but is slow. Heat on the other hand is fast and will do the same thing. Leaving them in an oven that is cooling down after cooking for a short while will do it, as will one of those hot-air guns (don't singe the wood!). You can even iron them (any heat treatment to be done before applying the wax).

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
Like Notsharp says, purpleheart has quite good moisture resistance. I use four coats of Renaissance Wax - simple to do and quite effective. Best done before assembly. Make sure you have sanded down everything to perfection first though, and don't forget to flatten the wedge and pivot areas with something like a cabinet makers rasp so the blade centres well.

Oxidising in air certainly improves the colour, but is slow. Heat on the other hand is fast and will do the same thing. Leaving them in an oven that is cooling down after cooking for a short while will do it, as will one of those hot-air guns (don't singe the wood!). You can even iron them (any heat treatment to be done before applying the wax).

Regards,
Neil

Thanks Neil
shall try the oven and see what they come out like.I dont think they will turn out perfect all a bit of an experiment really,if it all fits together ok you will get to see them some time in the new year.

tuftey said:
Neil Miller said:

Regards,
Neil

Thanks Neil
shall try the oven and see what they come out like.I dont think they will turn out perfect all a bit of an experiment really,if it all fits together ok you will get to see them some time in the new year.

If you bugger it up ( sorry, If it does not turn out right ) give me a shout. I've got some purpleheart. You can have some for a second go .

Steve

NOTSHARP said:
tuftey said:
Neil Miller said:

Regards,
Neil

Thanks Neil

If you bugger it up ( sorry, If it does not turn out right ) give me a shout. I've got some purpleheart. You can have some for a second go .

Steve
Thanks steve
Thats a very kind offer as there is every chance of doing just that in fact i'm quite amazed it has got this far without going very wrong.
But its all been good fun so far,There is even another project on the horizon :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom