Saturday 12th December to Friday 18th December 2020

Sunday 13th December

ACtC-3fYTsAyPwzVPDc-GaxqugCycDxdhNZN2EIosWDf2-To70tTChLzgAP1G8vyGvidP8ugCSYb7uPgtsrTH8lPXP7-OlBqVAtoGWhq23mRoPcodTur8Zx9gUSNloVbJ7npF5MD2oKHFOm_vXU-nRe4L-lRiA=w1200

Wash with L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Ice Cool Face Wash rather than my usual Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with Wickham's 1912 Christmas Spruce & GanVillage Green 'Mystery' w/Banded Boar 22mm
Two pass (3 days) shave with Yaqi Katana & Shark Super Stainless (3)
Hot rinse, cold rinse, alum wash & Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne​

Perhaps this formula has been enhanced by the Valobra acquisition. It certainly seems superior to the Proraso I last used several years ago.
That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to - my partner gifted me a tub of the red super-formula a few months ago - and it has gone into my top ten soaps - a country mile ahead in performance from when I last used Proraso. If you like sandalwood scents - I doubt you would be disappointed with it - at the price - worth a try? - cheers - I.

13/12/20

Razor: Henson Aluminium
Blade: King C. Gillette (2)
Brush: Yaqi Finest 24mm
Soap: PAA Dapper Docs
Pre: Proraso Wood & Spice
ASL: Osma Alum
ASB: Floïd

IMG_20201213_191749.jpg

I've had this razor sat in the rack since September and I've finally gotten around to using it. I should start by saying I like light razors. I have a few aluminium razors in the collection. Here's my two cents after the first shave:

The razor feels nice in the hand and is easy to maneuver. The head geometry is pretty unique but it's easy to find the correct angle. The shave was smooth and efficient. I wasn't paying attention and overhydrated my lather so stuck to two passes for safety. The two passes were enough to leave me with a very acceptable finish though. Based on first impressions, I think I'm going to like this razor.

View attachment 62044

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Karve alu - D plate
blade - Med Prep (3)
brush - Semogue Torga boar
soap - LPL Abricot
post - witch hazel
a/s - LPL Abricot
balm - Alvarez Gomez Barbaria
scent - Eau Suavage edp.

Perhaps due to using water about as soft as you get in Britain - I don't have an issue getting good lathers from any of the soaps or cremes I use - apart from this one. I have never produced anything with the LPL that wasn't thin, unstable and prone to rapidly breaking down - granted, I still had a comfortable shave - due to the slickness but that really isn't the point - this is a premium soap - with a price to match. I've tried every trick I know but nothing seems to work - which is a bummer as it smells divine - fresh, sweet but without being cloying. Ho hum - such is life - have better shaves than this - one and all - enjoy your weekends - take care - I.

Iain, is it worth adding some chalk to the water, to harded in up a little?

Chris

SOTD 13 December 2020 :)

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Kiehls Facial Fuel, and Elemis shave oil, with cold water splash.
Soap: Martin de Candre - Fougere.
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fiber.
Razor: Above the Tie - Calypso R1.
Blade: Gillette Perma Sharp (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash - Swiss Pitralon, Clairn's Blue Orchid face oil, and Professor Herb Mandarin, Basil and Lime Day Cream.
Eau De Parfum: Captain Fawcett - Booze and Baccy.

For the last 2 - 3 weeks I have been hooked on the Blackland Tradere OC; lovely shaves; for the last week I went in the opposite direction, razor wise - a feather-light, SB. I got into the ATT Calypso earlier this year, after reading @Digimonkey rave reviews of the M1.

3 Passes WTG and XTG (left and right) with a DFS+/BBS- with no issues to report. While I enjoy the Calypso, I find if my concentration wanders and I loose the angle, slightly, the shave feels slightly tuggy - but when I maintain the angle, such smooth, sweet, shaves.

The Booze and Baccy was a wonderful way to finish the shave; SWMBO thought made some plesant remarks on the aroma.

I hope everyone has a good week, take care,

Chris

Sunday SOTD

Soap - Ach Brito Mogno
Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor - RazoRock Game Changer .84-P
Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post - Superdrug Forest Fresh ASL

Back on track with a little more concentration - no cuts or weepers today - much better than my previous two shaves.
It would've been easy to blame the razor, blade or lather, but that wouldn't stand up to scrutiny. . . . Pre-occupied minds and razor blades don't mix well.
A light touch and determined, assured strokes make the Game Changer a very capable tool indeed.

Sotd-13-12-20.jpg

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Karve alu - d plate
blade - Med Prep (4)
brush - Simpsons P8 phyl - best badger
soap - DR Harris - Arlington - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Old Spice
balm - Veckia olive oil cream - Spanish supermarket brand
scent - Tabac edt.

Much like @Satanfriendly - today has left me feeling laconic. Other than to say - I've shaved three days in a row - I'll need to be careful - if I keep this up - I'll run out of products. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - yes - if I live to 100 - highly unlikely given my lifestyle. Have excellent shaves - one and all - yours - I.

Oh -

'I went out to Charing Cross, to see Major-general Harrison hanged, drawn and quartered; which was done there, he looking as cheerful as any man could do in that condition.' - Samuel Pepys - 1662.

There are only five other people on the forum that will get that joke.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to - my partner gifted me a tub of the red super-formula a few months ago - and it has gone into my top ten soaps - a country mile ahead in performance from when I last used Proraso. If you like sandalwood scents - I doubt you would be disappointed with it - at the price - worth a try? - cheers - I.
Thanks Iain, definitely on my next Connaught order. It really is excellent, I don't often do it, but the cushion was so good I did check if there was a blade in the razor.

Mon 14th SOTD
Soap Wholly Kaw Man From Mayfair
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black Synthetic
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Thayers
Hyaluronic + Clubman Brandy Spice
Another enjoyable scent from the soap. The performance was as good too.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was generally smooth and comfortable for 3passes but now I understand what will happen if this blade passes through a bump...immediate slice-off...2 nicks! Stopped by alum. Otherwise, it was a good shave for between bbs to dfs result. Good post & aftershaves. Rating 8.5/10
20201214_101447.jpg

Back
Top Bottom