Satan's Toaster

So I have the following toaster:

51JM231000L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and having just made myself a cheese and chutney sandwich on toasted brown bread, it occurs to me that something is very wrong with the design of my toaster.

On setting 1 the bread is lightly crispened, but barely brown (the toaster has no zero, so 1 must be the lightest option available to me).

On setting 2, the bread emerges as what I would consider to be fully cooked toast - the surface is light to mid-brown and the bread is crispy and hot (perfect for butter and marmite..... :hungrig).

However on setting 2 1/4, the toast becomes (to my mind) over-done - even dark brown with slight blackening on the crusts. Having tried a variety of breads/roll and bagels, all have the same rough output whether cooked from frozen or fresh.

My dilemma is this: my toaster goes up to 6. When you consider that 1 is lightly toasted and 2.5 is well done, what the hell are 3,4,5 & 6 for?? I'm convinced that putting a single slice of bread into the toaster on 6 would result in smoke within 5 seconds and little evidence of any bread having existed. In fact, I will probably never even attempt this for fear of fire damage to my kitchen.

Who are the people who cook toast on 6? Are they the same as us? Do they cook all their food until only charcoal remains? And why does the 'defrost' setting only apply to one side of the four slice toaster??

To be fair I dont think they really care when making these, ive had a tefal toaster before that basically had two settings, undercooked or burnt to a crisp.

I gave up and now have a 20 year old dualit toaster that has a mechanical timer, makes much more sense to me.. and shock horror you can actually repair it, they sell new toasting elements etc so im hoping to have one toaster for life..

neocaligatio said:
My dilemma is this: my toaster goes up to 6. When you consider that 1 is lightly toasted and 2.5 is well done, what the hell are 3,4,5 & 6 for??

That's the trouble with these adjustables: too many settings to play around with. Maybe you're best off with a 1950s grill. Out of interest, what's the bread alignment like on it? :D

That's the trouble with these adjustables: too many settings to play around with. Maybe you're best off with a 1950s grill. Out of interest, what's the bread alignment like on it? :D

Would you need a Feather to get a good scrape :D

Now hang on a second..... potato waffles in a toaster? What do you recommend - two 'toastings' turning after the first?

I love potato waffles, although they aren't the same since they took all the sodding salt out. I hate that as a person who carefully regulates my salt intake I can't actually enjoy foods that used to be higher in salt. :evil: but enough of that.... if I can use the toaster I can speed up my waffle intake on the average weekend by a considerable amount.

In my experience it is often the cheapest toasters that do the best job of making toast. One thing that annoys me is the mechanism to push toast up so you can fish it out is usually totally inadequate for things like syrup pancakes or even muffins. Do the people who design these things think they are only used to heat bread??

We have had a Swan toaster for probably 15 years now, which I cordially loathe, but the bloody thing refuses to die (I'll buy a Dualit like a shot come the happy day). It has all the faults detailed above, including a dial which goes from 0-6, where 2 = toast, and 2 1/4 = toast in the American sense, ie. incinerated. It also seems to have been designed to preclude the possibility of escaping with unburnt fingers. No doubt it'll still be going strong in another decade's time.

This cold seriously up your average waffle consumption:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dualit.com/products/dct-3-slice-conveyor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dualit.com/products/dct-3-slice-conveyor</a><!-- m -->

I managed to get hold of an industrial belt toaster, bit silly really, by the time it was up to operating temperature the kitchen turned into a furnace and the street lights dimmed but it did eventually knock out great toast at a rate of 1 slice every 5 seconds.
After the first electricity bill I told the family it had been impounded by Green Peace.

Millay said:
This cold seriously up your average waffle consumption:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dualit.com/products/dct-3-slice-conveyor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dualit.com/products/dct-3-slice-conveyor</a><!-- m -->
Not if it's like the one we encountered at a hotel recently when my wife took me away on a midweek break for my birthday, it couldn't. The bread had to be put through at least 3 times before it would take on any colour :x

Look what arrived from my parents this Christmas:

mxw_520_mxh_520_20090730153844-dualit_ng_cream4.jpg

Needless to say it is much of an upgrade from the Tefal!

The sandwich trays are en route too, so potato waffles and cheese toasties will now be available any time of day or night :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom