Sandalwoody....Tips

AJP

Before i start, this is not a bad review, nor even a complaint about this soap. I like it, it's subtle scent (more subtle than i am used to to be honest) but i am having big issues creating long lasting lather. I have used it the past couple of days and both times by the time i have shaved one side of my face, the remaining lather on the other cheek and neck has all but disappeared. (To the soaps mega credit, even with the problems i am having, i have not had one nick, cut or any burn!).

The tips i am asking for is how others manage to make a strong lather - enough for 3 or 4 passes. How long do you guys spend loading the brush on the cake? (Both days i have had to go back to re-load at some point between either pass 1 and 2 or pass 2 and 3.) Having seen other posts on here about the soap, i am certain that this is a "user issue" rather than a problem with the soap.

Some pointers would be greatly appreciated. (I will be trying the Warm Spice soap this weekend too :D ).

Many thanks,

Of course my first advice would be to use MY soap instead of course ;-)

However, since I know what goes into Sharon's soap, I know that it should be entirely possible to create a decent, stable lather from it. She has sent me a sample, and I can make a good lather from it.

First thing to keep in mind is not to use too much water. Soak your brush thoroughly, and let it drip out, then dump most of the water out by briskly moving it vertically two times (i.e. don't flick it dry, just dump it). Then load that brush. Then load it some more. Then, when you think you have enough, load it again.

Now start to make a lather -- you can do that on the soap cake, by loading it until the soap starts turning into lather. This will work, but you'll end with may too much soap in the brush for a normal shave. You can face lather, but that way, it is more difficult to control the hydration of the lather. Or you can lather in a bowl; that way, it will be easy to add enough water, drop by drop so to say, to create just the right consistency of your lather.

As said, it should be possible to build a decent lather this way.

Henk

+1...as Henk suggests bowl lather with it you'll get more control.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55</a><!-- l -->

henkverhaar said:
Of course my first advice would be to use MY soap instead of course ;-) Henk

Thanks Henk and AntDad.

Henk, I'm always up for trying new soaps......if you have any samples....? :D

I meant to say that i am lathering using a bowl (well a big mug really!)
How long, timewise do you spend loading the brush up with this soap? Clearly different soap=different times, but specifically this one?

Testament to a good soap though, even with thin, fading lather i got these past couple of days, no nicks, cuts or burn! I am certain that this is a user error issue.

Cheers,

The "leave a tablespoon of water on the puck for a good few minutes trick" might help with soap pick up.

Sometimes a good few strokes on the palm can help.

That long huh? Right - therein would be the user error :lol:

One other question, do you guys put a "teaspoon" of water on the soap itself whilst the brush is soaking and the bowl is warming up? Is this technique worth doing, or do you go straight to a dry soap?

Thanks again,

(Edited because i have just seen the above post from AntDad - must have posted the question at about the same time you were writing that! :D Many others do the water on soap trick?)

Try this - works for me!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=3x0N1TIjQyM&v=ZSUNBY9zHUw[/youtube]
Why is there no picture here?

SirPrize said:
Try this - works for me!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=3x0N1TIjQyM&v=ZSUNBY9zHUw[/youtube]

Thanks, will have to watch that when i get home - can't get youtube from my work computer.

Yes...altogether usually before jumping into shower. So both are sitting/soaking for at least 5 mins.

The water on the puck isn't always strictly necessary but study the tutorial, it is sort of a default method. ie removing most of the water from the brush and leaving a little on the soap which should allow the brush maximum ability to pick soap up.

Just overload it to begin with.

antdad said:
Just overload it to begin with.

I think that piece of advice sums it up nicely, especially with hard(er) soaps. When you're new to wet shaving with brush and soap, start by overloading your brush, and then learn by trial and error how much is enough. Too much lather is not nearly as much of a problem than too litte.

Very true Henk, always easy to add more water and not so easy to take it out or add more soap. I think I still overload to a degree but I like to have plenty of soap available if needed, so cheap per shave it is just not worth skimping on it.

Back
Top Bottom