SAIVER - Twin Bladed DE Razor (Second Type Now in Review)

Off and on for the past two weeks I have been using a razor that is making the rounds on a large internet auction site that does not need to be mentioned. In fact there are at least three variants of this razor. I will address them in this review as a series, even though this is a test of only one of the razors, while the additional two variants which are on order. Now if you are a one blade purist, this is more than likely not the razor you seek. For those who can use two bladed razors or for the rest who are curious read on.

12710110614_c17ed4fa76_c.jpg

According to the seller here is the details of the series of razors:

"Saiver" is a classic 3-piece safety razor. It can be used with 2 blades at once: you have to cut one blade in half with scissors, install both parts on top, then press them with metal plate, and then put second blade and tighten everything with install of a base plate and a handle. Of course you can use it normally, with just one blade, as a regular DE razor. The razor fixates blade firmly, without any wobbling.

The materials are: ABS plastic, stainless steel and aluminum.

Saiver is the name of a small lake inthe Mary El Republic. The razor is produced in Yoshkar-Ola, by "Kontakt" factory.

You can read more of the location of the factory at the following links.

Republic / Location:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/364809/Mari-El

Factory Photo:
http://www.alltravels.com/russia/mariy-el/yoshkar-ola/photos/current-photo-34766940

Now to the razor. The cost of the razor is around $15 - $17 with shipping, but like many things that could be subject to change in the future. The razor comes in a cardboard backed plastic container with more than enough room for the razor. The packaging writing and instructions are in Russian only. The seller is technically incorrect on it being a classic three piece razor, unless only one blade is used. If the twin configuration is used, it is truly a four piece razor (including the steel shim). This variant has a guard bar on both sides of the base plate (double guard bar). One of the other variants has a guard bar on one side and an open comb on the other. An additional variant comes with the double guard bar base in a travel version. The version finds the aluminum handle coming in three pieces which screw together to form a single handle. In this demonstration of assembly the twin blade configuration will be used. The first image shows the parts of the razor and the blades in a prepared state and each of the images that will follow by step by step visual to the completed razor.

12888999823_38bb9e3f0d_c.jpg

12889023643_c9feffb567_c.jpg

12888934395_32bfaef2a8_c.jpg

12889054103_dd2a95e5db_c.jpg

12888967545_db599492c7_c.jpg

12889096463_b266ea7cbb_c.jpg

12889009795_7903cd415b_c.jpg

You may ask, what if the top blade is placed intact into the razor cap. Well, I tried that and what happens is the top blade bends down and comes in contact with the shim which negates it from being applied to the skin. In essence the razor reverts back to a single blade configuration using the bottom blade only. So with the understanding that for the twin blade system the top blade must be split, we move on to the handling of the razor.

The aluminum handle is light and efficient and reminds me of the British made Gillette Tech handles. The Saiver as tested weighs 1 ounce ( 28.35g) where as the Schick Krona, considered a light weight razor) weighs 2 ounces (56.7g) This is a clean looking handle and has only light grazing for gripping. Even though the grazing is not deep, I did not have any issues with the razor slipping in my hand while shaving.

What does this four piece razor configuration not do? In the twin blade configuration you are not multiplying aggressiveness. The level of aggressiveness to me is no greater than an EJ89/R89 razor even when using the twin blade configuration.

What does this four piece razor configuration do? Like the twin bladed cartridge systems, the passes have a multiplier effect. So one pass of this razor will either equal two passes with a standard Double Edge razor, or come very close to it. So a two pass shave becomes close to, or equal, to a four pass shave. The shim has ridges that allows it to provide the space of three Double Edge blades between the two blades. The top blade (halved) allows for the geometry of the head and cap to be maintained by allowing the size to be narrowed due to the slight overlap of two separate pieces.

How does the razor feel in use? It feels like a British Aluminum Tech in the hand but you can sense the two blades in action. Even with the slightly added height of the head, the difference from other standard Double Edge razors is minimal. It is easy to maneuver and I was not hampered in any way around the ears when shaving the head. Now the first trial was with the very smooth but less sharp Big Ben blades. I got three days worth of shaves from it before the razor began to tug. With two face passes I could tell that my shave lasted about a hour or two longer than using my EJ89 with two face passes using the same blade. On the head I normally make one pass and this razor really made a difference because the two blades tended to pick up more on that one pass. So rather than being aggressive it is efficient. This razor reminds me of a Trac II that is more aggressive in cutting, or the discontinued Personna Double Cartridge razors produced in the 1970s, that resembled a Double Edge head but used a slide on cartridge with twin blades on each side. I have used that razor also, and this is much more efficient because the blades are more substantial and sharp.

What are the draw backs of the razor? If used in a standard three piece single blade configuration there are no major drawbacks from a design standpoint. Weight and balance is light and neutral, so that may be off-putting to some users, but that is a preference issue and not a design issue. The four piece twin blade configuration is where the word needful comes in. This razor configuration is obviously higher maintenance in the loading of blades than a single blade Double Edge razor. The cutting of one blade and the need to ensure that each half of the separated blade is parallel to the guard bar. This was accomplished when the head was tight enough to allow the four tabs on cap to rest inside the base plate notches but not fully tight. At that point a toothpick was used at the extreme exposed corners of the blade halves to move them into a parallel position. The handle and cap were then fully screwed together and the toothpick was gently used at the corners of the blade halves again to check that the blades would not shift. Each time that the razor is used it is advisable to check to make sure the handle and cap are secure and the blades are correctly in place to prevent any issues with an overexposed blade. It will also have the same issues with a multiblade cartridge when it comes to blade wear and tugging. I noticed that when the blades were dull it was a very noticeable effect.

Currently, I am testing with a the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade which is sharper than the Big Ben blades. On the first shave, the shave was even more efficient with the length of time that the hair is less noticeable is longer. As I continue to test this razor I will make known the results. As stated earlier I am expecting receive the other two configurations in a few weeks, so when they come in I will examine them to see if there are any significant changes between the variants and discuss as required.

Conclusion: This is a very efficient razor and can have a high value for those who want to reduce passes to save time, but the time spent in setting up the razor may offset some of the time saved shaving. The shaves are excellent and it is not an overly aggressive razor even though the concept seems at the first glance to be aggressive. I do not know whether this razor will become a regular in the rotation, but it is a nice change of pace or maybe a razor to have at the ready in case a quicker shave is required.

12847358975_9e48b65384_c.jpg

RE: SAIVER - A Twin Bladed Double Edge Razor - The Efficient But Needful Razor

excellent review! i have seen these and was quite curious, if not tempted. priced to tempt the gambler i feel =)

Day 2 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 2 went excellently as did Day 1. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. The razor worked exactly as it should with no issues whatsoever. The level of aggression was about at a setting 5 on a Gillette Slim but was truly more efficient. All in all a great shave.

12906384624_be24aba8bd_c.jpg

Great review. I found the alignment of the top blade on this razor was far easier if instead of cutting the blade exactly in half then there were two snips made along the inside line of the blade (so the blade is a couple of mm narrower after removing the middle “joins”). The high quality Russian instructions suggest this in the pictures and after doing this you don't get the blade edges overlapping under the shim – this made for much less manual blade alignment.

SAIVER - A Twin Bladed Double Edge Razor - The Efficient But Needful Razor

Nice review. Not sure that I would go through all the setup every day to shave with would is still a DE razor.
Do you think if you took a gillette old style and made a thin plastic or metal shim and used two blades it would be the same?? You'd jade the space between the blades, they'd be held securely by the 3 posts and the angle might even be right???

Johnus said:
Nice review. Not sure that I would go through all the setup every day to shave with would is still a DE razor.
Do you think if you took a gillette old style and made a thin plastic or metal shim and used two blades it would be the same?? You'd jade the space between the blades, they'd be held securely by the 3 posts and the angle might even be right???

There is an issue. I think the top blade would stick out when you are shaving past the bottom one. When I tried to use both blades intact that is what seems to happen with the SAIVER. Maybe the cap bending would help enough to help offset that. Maybe that is really how the Razolution razor works.

12906384624_be24aba8bd_c.jpg

Day 3 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 3 went excellently as did the prior days. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. The razor worked exactly as it should with no issues whatsoever. The level of aggression was about at a setting 5 on a Gillette Slim but was truly more efficient. I shaved at 5 AM and after 12 hours the shave is better than my Slim or EJ89 after 10 hours. The shave is just about as long lasting as when I use the R41, but with far less skin sensitivity issues. All in all another great shave.

The life span test has become the major issue for this razor, where with other razors not so much. For example I ran the Big Ben blade first which is my testing blade because it is mild but very smooth. That protects me if the razor is very aggressive (i.e. R41 or Barbasol) on the first try. Once I know how the razor behaves, then I will try other blades. Now the other things the Big Ben blades display is how mild a razor is, or are there weaknesses in the razors geometry (angle sensitive). Now for this razor the Big Ben blades ran 3 shaves before slightly tugging. There were no angle sensitivity issues. Now I could have gone one more shave with that set of blades, but I knew that some blades would be absolutely no good with this razor because I would be changing it every three days if I used it on a regular basis. The Rapira Swedish are much sharper and in many aggressive razors require more diligence for me. I am interested in how long these blades will last. Day 4 awaits.

Very nice review, thank you very much for it

YMMV said:
Very nice review, thank you very much for it

Thanks!

12959619324_4b7726df39_c.jpg

Day 4 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 4 went excellently as did the prior days. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. The razor worked exactly as it should with no issues whatsoever. I shaved at 5 AM and after 12 hours the shave is better than my Slim or EJ89 after 10 hours. All in all another great shave. So far so good on blade life but there is more testing needed.

Day 5 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 5 went excellently as did the prior days. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

12980862685_82823580e1_c.jpg

Day 6 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 6 no change in results and so far no degradation of the blades. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

I typically use a blade for 3 days and do 3 passes for each shave, so one blade lasts 9 passes. Therefore I calculate, as you're using 2 blades per shave, you'll get half as much wear & tear on them so they should last 18 passes. You're only doing 2 passes per day so I predict your blades should last 9 days; a little less because you're doing head shaves too.
What do you reckon? Well my prediction is 8 days taking into account the head shaving and pushing the blades until they start to die.

Day 7 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 7 no change in results and so far no degradation of the blades. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

13002000154_37ee43395a_c.jpg

fancontroller said:
I typically use a blade for 3 days and do 3 passes for each shave, so one blade lasts 9 passes. Therefore I calculate, as you're using 2 blades per shave, you'll get half as much wear & tear on them so they should last 18 passes. You're only doing 2 passes per day so I predict your blades should last 9 days; a little less because you're doing head shaves too.
What do you reckon? Well my prediction is 8 days taking into account the head shaving and pushing the blades until they start to die.

Well it would have to roll off the cliff very rapidly because todays shave was smooth and easy. It is hard for me to tell the difference between today's shave and the shave for day 2. I look forward to tomorrow's shave.

Day 8 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 8 no change in results and so far no degradation of the blades. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

13047831845_7a000bd31b_c.jpg

Day 9 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 9 no change in results and so far no degradation of the blades. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

BraveBlades said:
9 days........... wow. Never found a blade to make it past 5 yet

Well I think each blade is carrying its load and I expected longer life. I don't know how long it will last before the blades degrade but here are the latest results.

Day 10 with the Rapira Supersteel Blades in the Twin Configuration.

Day 10 no change in results and so far no degradation of the blades. A two pass BBS on the face and a two pass BBS on the head. All in all another great shave.

Back
Top Bottom