S.O.T.D. Saturday 8th October - Friday 14th October 2016

Pre: Shower and bloom water
Soap: @OSP Bay Rum sample (courtesy of @Blademonkey)
Razor: Schick Type L 1
Blade: Personna
AS: Pinaud Clubman

SOAP
I'd always been intrigued about wtf Bay Rum smelt of. I then saw a comment from one member that it smells of cloves and puts him off. It's not a smell I'm particularly fond of either but @Blademonkey offered up some of his @OSP Bay Rum as a tester.

When I got it and opened the tin foil it was wrapped in the smell of cloves was in my face, not to be put off (I've fallen foul of dismissing soaps on their smell before lathering them before) I was still going to give this a test drive

RAZOR
First injector I've tried and after finding this example on flea-bay for under a fiver I was eager to see what they are like

The OSP lathered up beautifully as expected, still getting only clove but at a more acceptable level. OSP goes on great!

The razor I found lacking though, I wasn't getting much feedback and even though I'd removed all the lather found patches of whiskers that looked like had never been touched. Where it did take them off it seemed good enough but the whole experience of the razor was a bit...average. I'll give it another go in the up coming days.

I'm writing all this on my phone in town as I wait for the girls clothes shopping. Its about 2 hrs after the shave and my face feels prickly and uncomfortable. I think there might be something in the soap that doesn't like me.

All in all a disappointing shave, when I get home I'm going to suck on my alum block and see if the onset of alzheimers kicks in so I can forget all about this
Could be the soap or could be the blade so don't write the soap off yet unless you absolutlly hate the scent, try it with your R41 and see how that feels. I don't suppose you can please everyone with a scent but it's one of OSP's best sellers. :)

Could be the soap or could be the blade so don't write the soap off yet unless you absolutlly hate the scent, try it with your R41 and see how that feels. I don't suppose you can please everyone with a scent but it's one of OSP's best sellers. :)
Yeah I'll give it another run with a known razor. The smell is ok once lathered, I'll offer the rest of the sample up as there is plenty left and its a shame just to use it just for the sake of not wasting it. First to PM I'll post it off.

OSP give a great lather though, love my Spice Road

Yeah I'll give it another run with a known razor. The smell is ok once lathered, I'll offer the rest of the sample up as there is plenty left and its a shame just to use it just for the sake of not wasting it. First to PM I'll post it off.

OSP give a great lather though, love my Spice Road
Yea good idea, let someone else give it a test, yes OSP lathers up fantastically, I loves it! :)

Sixth shave with the Timeless and a bit of a change this time... No OC, but the 0.95 Scalloped BP. I only shaves at 7 lat night so didn't think the OC would be a good move... I also used the polished head instead of the scalloped.

So, I prefer the 85mm handle. It's just more comfortable in the hand for me. I noticed no difference between the polished top cap and the scalloped. Can't explain why, I just didn't. The shave was fine, two passes, a decent result, not the closest. No weepers. I was hoping for a bit closer after the two passes through, but I didn't want to go for a third pass and was relatively happy with the result.

The soap is from the pass around and it's alright, nothing more, lathered up relatively easy, but not mountains of lather. Smelt decent, I won't be looking to pick any up though.

I decided to feature the Thayers and Speick in my picture today. I use them after every shave and they don't often get pictured!

- Timeless 0.95 Scalloped BP, Polished Top Cap, 85mm handle
- Astra SP (4)
- Simpsons Duke 3
- Panna Cremma Vetiver
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Aloe Vera gel (from the plant)
- Speick AB

img_20161008_143724-01-jpeg.2622

Sixth shave with the Timeless and a bit of a change this time... No OC, but the 0.95 Scalloped BP. I only shaves at 7 lat night so didn't think the OC would be a good move... I also used the polished head instead of the scalloped.

So, I prefer the 85mm handle. It's just more comfortable in the hand for me. I noticed no difference between the polished top cap and the scalloped. Can't explain why, I just didn't. The shave was fine, two passes, a decent result, not the closest. No weepers. I was hoping for a bit closer after the two passes through, but I didn't want to go for a third pass and was relatively happy with the result.

The soap is from the pass around and it's alright, nothing more, lathered up relatively easy, but not mountains of lather. Smelt decent, I won't be looking to pick any up though.

I decided to feature the Thayers and Speick in my picture today. I use them after every shave and they don't often get pictured!

- Timeless 0.95 Scalloped BP, Polished Top Cap, 85mm handle
- Astra SP (4)
- Simpsons Duke 3
- Panna Cremma Vetiver
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Aloe Vera gel (from the plant)
- Speick AB

img_20161008_143724-01-jpeg.2622
Good write up, great pic. :)

Saturday 8th
Tabac
Cadman Custom Synthetic
Standard Razor w/shimmed Voskhod #3
Alum > Rinse > Benjamins Bay Rum
RSC Balm > G|Bellini - X Bolt EDT
IMG_20161007_123850964e.jpg

The shim was a successful attempt to increase the aggressiveness of the Standard. The smoothness and the extra tingle with the alum showed it worked. Will try it again.

Great shaves everyone!
A great pic affect :)

DSC_0048_zps8tgnuf8d.jpg

DSC_0457_zps90soowgn.jpg

DSC_0466_zpsexlshsnz.jpg

One Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
USSR Broctok - 2 Space Orbit Celebration 1/2 Hollow 5/8th
Hans Baier Silver Tip
Italian Vitos Tallow Soap
Logona Mann Balm

I Had My 2nd Shave Today with My Soviet Made 5/8th..One WTG Pass on the Face & One ATG Pass on the Neck & a Dolphin Smooth BBS Result..Two Days of Whiskers Wiped Clean..My Picture above Represents a Typical Two Day Growth Pattern for Me..I have Cast Iron Whiskers & this Russian SR Swipes them Clean Like Butter..;)

This Russian SR has an Surgically Sharp Edge that is Quite Unique to this Very Hard Soviet Steel..It Feels Like a Very Thin Scalpel Like Edge & Feather Like Touch is all that is Required to Swipe the Whiskers Away with Long Strokes...A Top Notch Shaver for Sure..I Reckon I Might be Even Mistaken for a Bolshevik in that Photo..:eek:

I am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy

DSC_0048_zps8tgnuf8d.jpg

DSC_0457_zps90soowgn.jpg

DSC_0466_zpsexlshsnz.jpg

One Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
USSR Broctok - 2 Space Orbit Celebration 1/2 Hollow 5/8th
Hans Baier Silver Tip
Italian Vitos Tallow Soap
Logona Mann Balm

I Had My 2nd Shave Today with My Soviet Made 5/8th..One WTG Pass on the Face & One ATG Pass on the Neck & a Dolphin Smooth BBS Result..Two Days of Whiskers Wiped Clean..My Picture above Represents a Typical Two Day Growth Pattern for Me..I have Cast Iron Whiskers & this Russian SR Swipes them Clean Like Butter..;)

This Russian SR has an Surgically Sharp Edge that is Quite Unique to this Very Hard Soviet Steel..It Feels Like a Very Thin Scalpel Like Edge & Feather Like Touch is all that is Required to Swipe the Whiskers Away with Long Strokes...A Top Notch Shaver for Sure..I Reckon I Might be Even Mistaken for a Bolshevik in that Photo..:eek:

I am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy
You have whiskers like Desperate Dan Billy! Desperate Billy! :)

Back
Top Bottom