S.O.T.D Saturday 1st July - Friday 7th July

Evening shave.

Baxters of California Face Wash. Bloom water.
P&B Denali.
Semogue 620.
Rockwell 6C (plate 2).
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Thayers Witch Hazel (cucumber).
Alcolado Glacial.

I have been looking forward to this shave all day. First uses of the 6C and the Denali. I face lathered the Denali and it does produce a lovely cooling sensation on the face. I wouldn't say it's a face freeze exactly, but very pleasant on a muggy London evening. As with the other P&B soap I have used, lots of cushioning lather and amazing slickness. Good stuff, and a nice peppermint scent. I found the 6C to be very mild on plate 2, but it produced a very comfortable shave, if not quite BBS. I will try plate 3, or perhaps 4 on my next shave. So all in all, very enjoyable. And I smell of peppermint and cucumber which can't be bad.

Sotd - Thursday 6/7

Razor - Merkur 37c slant
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush - Maseto silvertip
Soap - RazoRock Emperor
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Fine Platinum
Balm - Aloe Vera gel.

Result - I noticed a lot of love for the slant around here recently so I thought to use mine tonight. It really is a classic. Simple, cheap and effortlessly functional. In my usual hybrid two passes it made short work of a five day growth. No drama - no incidents. The Silver Blues work very well for me in any razor, sharp but not dangerously so and very comfortable in use. I didn't know where to go with the software tonight - but since I'm on my own this evening I could indulge in a bit of soap sniffing to see what I fancied. I mean - we all understand this but I'm not sure I would want to be caught in the act. It could appear a bit odd if not worse. So - ersatz Aventus it was. The Emperor and Platinum work well together for me. Right - I have to accept that other shaving brushes are available in my den in addition to the 30mm Maseto - yup - like the - soon to be arriving - 24mm Finest in a rather beautiful horn handle I bought tonight from a fellow member. I'm worthless and weak, I know. Only the two-band to go! All in all a really enjoyable shave - I am relaxed, smell nice and smoother than an otter with alopecia. Job done. I remember the bad old days when shaving was a chore - not for some time now thankfully. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen. cheers - I.

Last edited:
Thursday 6th July 2017
sotd 6 july.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (#6)
Brush: Maseto Fan Shape 2 band finest 30mm
Soap: S.V. 70
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
AS: Nivea Soothing Balm

Either I have a magic Feather FHS-10 blade or it looks like my stubble and the OneBlade Core are compatible from an economy perspective. That is 6 shaves from one blade now and it was still a decent shave, not a hint of irritation and very smooth finish. I will switch to a new blade in the morning to see if there is a noticeable difference between the new blade and the 6 shave blade.

Sotd - Thursday 6/7

Razor - Merkur 37c slant
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush - Maseto silvertip
Soap - RazoRock Emperor
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Fine Platinum
Balm - Aloe Vera gel.

Result - I noticed a lot of love for the slant around here recently so I thought to use mine tonight. It really is a classic. Simple, cheap and effortlessly functional. In my usual hybrid two passes it made short work of a five day growth. No drama - no incidents. The Silver Blues work very well for me in any razor, sharp but not dangerously so and very comfortable in use. I didn't know where to go with the software tonight - but since I'm on my own this evening I could indulge in a bit of soap sniffing to see what I fancied. I mean - we all understand this but I'm not sure I would want to be caught in the act. It could appear a bit odd if not worse. So - ersatz Aventus it was. The Emperor and Platinum work well together for me. Right - I have to accept that other shaving brushes are available in my den in addition to the 30mm Maseto - yup - like the - soon to be arriving - 24mm Finest in a rather beautiful horn handle I bought tonight from a fellow member. I'm worthless and weak, I know. Only the two-band to go! All in all a really enjoyable shave - I am relaxed, smell nice and smoother than an otter with alopecia. Job done. I remember the bad old days when shaving was a chore - not for some time now thankfully. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen. cheers - I.
there is nothing quite as satisfying as a little solitary soap sniffing! You are not alone :) what is said on the forum stays on the forum! :)

20170706_203306-jpg.14376

Razor: Muhle Rocca
Razor blades: Astra SP/Polsilver/Gillette Platinum
Brush: shavemac snowman
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina

First impressions on the Muhle Rocca:

I'd say its one of the hardest razors I've used. I struggled to find and keep the cutting angle.
I used three different blades, one for each pass.
I started with the Astra. I didn't find it very smooth and there was a lot of stubble left after the first pass.
Changed the blade to the Polsilver for the second and again not very smooth.
Changed the blade again to the Gillette Platinum which improved things a lot.
I needed two passes ATG to get a finish I was happy with.
The finished shave was good but there were a couple places which could've been better.....To be continued.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
image.jpg SOTD Friday 7th July

Pass~around razor~ ASW Evolution

Prep~Shower~ lavender & olive oil soap
Razor~Asylum~Evolution
Blade~Iridium super extra stainless
Soap~ OSP~BayRum
Brush~Semouge OC boar
Post~Thayers~Rose petal ~ BBA post shave balm
Scent~ Black Tie EDT ~ Washington Jremlett

Shave two, a better more relaxed shave today because I have a solution to the blade alignment problem and didn't have to faff around.

I soon whipped up a fabulous creamy slick lather from the wonderful OSP BayRum using my trusty Semouge OC boar and the Little Wren lathering bowl and set to work whisker wacking.
The razor and blade combo seem to work well, a real sharp blade in a mild to medium razor. I was left with a very good finnish , super smooth just how I like it without any irritation today on my neck.
Finnished off with my usual splash of Thayers and once dry an application of BBA psb
My scent fro today was the very nice indeed, Black Tie by Washington Jremlett, a floral bouquet of Rose & Geranium which descends into a spicy hearts (saffron) on a base of precious woods. Recommended.

Whishing you all a fabulous Friday.........:)

Last edited:
Friday

Olive Soap and Man Cave Olivestone Facial Scrub
3P preshave cream
Nanny's Arabian Nights Soap
Vulfix Grosvenor 404 Badger/Boar Brush
Star 1912 with a stainless Gem (#5)
Alum Block
Homemade Buttermix
Myrsol Agua De Limon

Obviously the Proline and Claymore combination are working well. I only needed 2 passes with the Star to get almost BBS. The weekend starts early for me today. I leave work mid afternoon. Moon Walk tonight. It's a charity ascent of Pen-y-fan....the highest mountain in S Wales, raising money for St David's Hospice. If the weather keeps up....it should be good.

Back
Top Bottom