S.O.T.D. Saturday 14th February to Friday 20th February 2015

Sunday 15 February 2015

Sunday 15 February 2015

193478d1424005444-sun-february-15th-sat-february-21st-sotd-15022015.jpg

Mastro Livi, 8/8 Full Hollow, Livi Point

Superb razor! Deep, effective and very keen, this Mastro Livi straight razor fulfilled all of my expectations providing a very comfortable and magnificent shave. I like aggressive straight razors and this RWL34 just proves all the good things that can be said about Mastro Livi razors made from this stainless steel. Not to mention how I like the scales: the bi-colored amboyna burl really make this razor both elegant and beautiful to see. I am very happy with my new Mastro Livi straight razor!​

• Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Mystic Water Violetta di Bosco
  • Brush: MÜHLE Modern 281 H 23, Fine Badger, Pine - 21 mm - Size M
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi, 8/8 Full Hollow, Livi Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman

Feather AC RG
Whipped Dog
Frankensoap
Skin Bracer

I don't enjoy straight shaving in our bathroom. It's too cramped and dark. The shave was perfectly fine but not particularly fun. Maybe I'll use trial this blade (Feather ProGuard) in the Mongoose instead and stop researching Heljestrands and Filarmonicas for now.

Sunday 15th February

SOTD15215_zps232b9e83.jpg

Warm shower
Hot towel
WSP Rustic Fougere Noir scuttle lathered
HMW Badger brush made by myself
Gillette ABC shell pattern handle Silver (1910)
Personna Med Prep (1)
Cold rinse
Thayers Superhazel
Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave

Lovely shave from the ABC and the Med Prep. First time I've used a Med Prep smooth and sharp.

IMG_8919.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Bay Soap Co Bay Rum & Lime Shaving Soap
Vie Long 13065 Amphora Horse
Vincent & Cloud (Ridged) [3]
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel Toner
Shibden Spice

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

First go with the Bay Soap Company soap, clearly a glycerine based soap which needs little by way of, well, anything to get a lather up. On the face, it was thinner than I am used to but didn't disappear, gave a good glide and post-shave face feel was not taut.

The scent was good, light and giving a pleasing tingle from the bay, heightened by my homebrew Shiden Spice, an orange and spice Bay Rum.

I'm getting the hang of the horse hair brush now; first few uses leaving me with a tangled mess that needed combing out with a metal pet brush, but as a large bowl swirler, it's a champion!

My techinque with the soap was to start with a dry brush, a teaspoon of water onto the top of the soap and then literally a dozen swirls to pick up all the water and soap into the brush which, when lathered in a warmed bowl with a further teaspoon of water, produced a sound lather and no tangles.

I love the shape of the brush and the smell, which is still a bit horsey, is all part of the experience. I live in horse country ...

Not exactly sure what razor & blade I shaved with today but it felt fairly aggressive and the first half dozen strokes had that familiar new blade roughness to them, but it settled down and I have a very close shave. The lightness was disconcerting after using the heavy weight Mongoose for a couple of weeks but I'll soon be used to it. Thanks pjgh!

L'al potter on't bike:
https://www.strava.com/activities/255336070

Shower
BS Maca Root Cream
Omega 49
Standard Razor Black
Polsilver SI [1]
Blue Stratos AS
BS Maca Root Face Protector
Milton Lloyd 331

Best shave so far with the standard. It seems like it finicky about blades. The Polsilver suited it very well though. Could't feel the blade on my face like the Lab Blue and Voskhod. It is a very close shaver ;)

SOTD - Sunday
Soap: Vintage Old Spice
Brush: M&F L7, 23mm "Blonde" 2-band
Razor: Mongoose Satin w/Dr. Bomber handle
Blade: Feather Super (7)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Vintage Old Spice ASL
It's been too long since I've used this old soap. Thick creamy lather with plenty of stink.
Feels like this Super blade is starting to lose its edge. 3-pass DFS.

Sunday

EVening, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Super Max SS (2)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Wickham's Spice Trade
Aftershave: Indian Old Spice
Cologne: L'Air du Desert Marocain

p.b said:
Not exactly sure what razor & blade I shaved with today but it felt fairly aggressive and the first half dozen strokes had that familiar new blade roughness to them, but it settled down and I have a very close shave. The lightness was disconcerting after using the heavy weight Mongoose for a couple of weeks but I'll soon be used to it. Thanks pjgh!

13 Tooth Clog Pruf ... medium aggressive, very efficient.

Sunday 15/2/15
Wickhams Bay Rum
Omega boar
Weber ph
Personna lab blue
GFT Sandalwood Skinfood

First time using a lab blue (courtesy of Ben88). Felt good, sharp and smooth. Very similar to a Polsilver SI in the Weber for me. Glad it worked out, got 100 coming this week [emoji15]

Back
Top Bottom