Holiday shave

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: Tabac stick
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Razor: Progress @2.5
Blade: Astra SS (1)
After: Aqua Velva Classic AS, Clarins ASB

Just picked up this Omega boar brush from the local drugstore. Gave it a quick shampoo last night and used it for the first time this morning. I really like it. Firm backbone and a good scritchy feel to it. This may change as it gets broken in but so far I think it's a great performer.

Also a new Aqua Velva AS today, very nice.

Result: easy BBS and a good day to you sirs.

20131111_094341_zps9c5ddef6.jpg

Monday:

Afternoon, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock yellow (3)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: RSC
A/S: Homebrew Imperial Leather
Cologne: Homebrew Imperial Leather

A good and easy shave. First try-out of the Imperial Leather-type splash I made using a fragrance oil -"Magnificent"- I bought from Scents from Heaven. Very good smell and it lingers nicely.

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: Shavemac 177 Silvertip
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black/Indian (1)
EdT: D R Harris Windsor

Great shave today. Cade is a somewhat underrated soap in my opinion and 7 O'Clock Black (Indian) may well be my favourite blade, sharp and close yet very forgiving. Delivery from India has been much quicker than Russian blades from eBay's unuta77.

Hot face splash...
Weber Polished Bulldog
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharpedge (3)
Arko soap stick (F.L.)
24mm TGN Finest Badger
Alum

My shave just before visiting dentist for very sore molar that has had root canal treatment... :icon_sad:

Today felt like the first day things have finally fallen into place. I've had the Fatboy a while but only tried it previously with some Jewel blades, which made for a snaggy, grabby shave with some nicks. So I went back to disposables while waiting for better blades. So today:

Prep: Hot shower, face scrub with body brush and dove soap, glycerine on wet face
Soap: Palmolive green tube
Brush: Cheapo (awaiting the Kent Synthetic to arrive) face lathered
Razor: Gillette Fatboy on No. 5
Blade: Personna (from Asda)
Edt: Givenchy Gentleman

I took it very slow and careful after the previous attempts. Was unambitious around chin area where previously nicked, so some rough patches left there, but otherwise a revelation. No irritation or discomfort whatsoever.

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Rapira
Rudy Vey custom redwood burl with 23mm Shavemac knot
Proraso Red Sandalwood cream (New Formula)
Proraso Green A/S

Close but no cigar :icon_neutral:

Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Stirling Anise - sample
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Diptyque Philosykos edp

First use of my dog of an Aristocrat Junior. The plating is knackered and the handle's somewhat precariously attached to the head - but the blade gap appears consistent to the naked eye and it shaves marvellously. What more could I ask for from a rescue razor? It's not worth restoring (I fortunately have an AJ in much better condition) but it will suit travel purposes very well. I'm very impressed this evening.

Muhle R41 2011
Group buy shave brush
Cella/ingrams combo
Gillette swede (5)
Alum
Steve's bay rum
Quiksilver A/S balm

Slow careful shave. Only my 2nd use of the beast so i paid close attention and was rewarded with a great shave. Nice change of pace tbh - i'll keep this in rotation. The cella is amazing - :)

merkur hd
viking's sword
omega pro 49
valobra almond shaving soap
rose of bulgaria AS
ungaro III edt

excellent shave, first try of the viking sword blade and theyre pretty good. loving the omega boar brush, i much prefer it to the two semogue boar brushes ive got.

Proraso Pre Shave
Merkur Futur
Rapira Platinum Lux
T&H Wellington Super Badger Brush (quality brush made by Rooney)
Barrister & Mann Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage Soap
Thayers Witch Hazel
Bulldog ASB
Thayers Lavendar Witch Hazel
Myrsol Lemon Aftershave

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Super Iridium
Brush: Frank Shaving
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser

Bay Rum is the theme of this week. And since I am rather fascinated with all things Bay Rum, I wanted to start with the brand that introduced me to this interesting concept, The famous Ogallala.
When I say fascinated that is exactly what I mean. I am drawn to Bay Rum, but I am not sure how much I like it.
The Ogallala scents are the exceptions, but the Norse jury has not managed to reach a decision on most other celebrated versions of this classic scent. Perhaps I will find out this week?

The soap I used come from a very generous sample pack, and the scent I picked was the Ogallala Bay Rum & Sweet Orange version. It smells wonderful, but the performance of the soap could be better.
I loaded the puck for twenty seconds, and it did generate a generous amount of lather, but it looked too airy and felt sub-par.

The quality of the lather did not prevent the Super Irirdium blade to work its magic. I had a three day growth, but it was mowed down effortlessly. Almost a top three performance, but it lacked a certain smoothness that I find in my favourite blades.
However, I suspect this blade will shine in a less aggressive razor, like the EJ89
I will have to try that next time

11112013_zpsda9e0f1a.jpg

Burgundy said:
First use of my dog of an Aristocrat Junior. The plating is knackered and the handle's somewhat precariously attached to the head - but the blade gap appears consistent to the naked eye and it shaves marvellously. What more could I ask for from a rescue razor? It's not worth restoring (I fortunately have an AJ in much better condition) but it will suit travel purposes very well. I'm very impressed this evening.

... a proverbial "old banger", eh? So busted up, it's worth leaving it with the rat look. I have a similar 1910s 'Old' with a fine comb; shaves lovely, the plating is intact on the comb and the very edge of the head that clamps over the blade. The rest is beyond knackered.

MONDAY EVENING

Prep: Warm rinse
Razor: Feather Artist Club teak limited edition
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Frank Shaving Purtech
Soap: Institut Karite - scuttle lathered

Had a terrible shave with this on Saturday. Brand new blade and I cut myself to ribbons.

But, as they say, if you come off a bike the best thing is to get straight back on so I braved it tonight too. Much better shave, with only a couple of small weepers.

I'm nothing if not persistent!

Good evening, Gents.

For some reason, I feel really chilled this evening … and my shave reflected that.

IMG_4016.JPG

Hot Towel
Olive Oil/Grapefruit PSO
NSS Goat Milk OO Soap
Pure Badger Brush
Merkur Progress
PolSilver Super Iridium [7]
Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) [4]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Witch Hazel/Grapefruit Toner
Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne

WTG PolSilver Super Iridium [7]
XTG Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) [4] … and minor polishing ATG

I'd forgotten about the PolSilver Super Iridium sitting in my pile of "in service" blades, but believed there to be life in it yet, I ran it through for a gentle WTG pass having opened up the Merkur Progress to 3. It was smooth and did a good first pass. I'll keep hold of it and see if can push an eighth run. Going XTG with the Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) and the razor set to 4, I got the result I wanted: a good shave. Light polishing with the razor closed up to 1.

Tonight, I'm not too fussed about getting very close or very smooth, just wanted a good shave, and I got it.

The combination of the olive oil PSO and the olive oil based soap, not to mention the moisturising goat milk in the blend has left me with a great post-shave feel.

Back
Top Bottom