Rockwell 6S Polishing

2DFD6AC7-1FDA-4966-9423-0CAB4372188E.jpeg

Polishing supplies arrived today as did the first commission. High quality silicon carbide wet and dry with grits from 800 through to 7000. German-made Menzerna polishing compounds: green is medium cut, white is a finisher and yellow is classed as a high gloss super finisher.

I have a bit of experience with kit like this already having used high grit wet and dry to sharpen my wood carving blades for years. I also use a leather and oak strop I made myself with medium compound on one side and a finer one on the other.

It sad but I’m excited about making shiny happen.

And the Shiny Toffee Hammer passaround will commence from Monday as my R6S goes out to @ATG.

When I first saw this post, my wee(!) belly started churning with excitement at the thought of someone offering to polish up a Rockwell 6S to a nice shiny finish. The 6S has been my favourite razor for a couple of years now and I had often thought about sending it to Razor Emporium in the States to get it polished but the costs involved and the worry of it going missing etc., just wasnt worth the hassle for me.

I posted it out to @Gairdner and communications between us were great. It didn't take long before it was posted back to me and I'm delighted with the end result. I was a wee bit apprehensive as to how it would turn out but I have to say, what a beautiful job he's made of it.

I'm super impressed and really happy. I understand the work involved and I really appreciate the time and effort that's been put in to get it to how it looks now. It has totally transformed the look of, lets be honest, an industrial looking finish to one that wouldn't look too shabby in a Jambo trophy cabinet!

I read that he's not doing anymore, so I'm even more grateful that he took the time to do this for me, much appreciated Graeme.

I'll post some pictures here and thanks again for such a lovely job.

Attachments

• 20230426_155418.jpg
    20230426_155418.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230426_155340.jpg
    20230426_155340.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230426_155245.jpg
    20230426_155245.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230426_155142.jpg
    20230426_155142.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230426_155051.jpg
    20230426_155051.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230426_155125.jpg
    20230426_155125.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230426_155128.jpg
    20230426_155128.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230426_155300.jpg
    20230426_155300.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230426_155618.jpg
    20230426_155618.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
When I first saw this post, my wee(!) belly started churning with excitement at the thought of someone offering to polish up a Rockwell 6S to a nice shiny finish. The 6S has been my favourite razor for a couple of years now and I had often thought about sending it to Razor Emporium in the States to get it polished but the costs involved and the worry of it going missing etc., just wasnt worth the hassle for me.

I posted it out to @Gairdner and communications between us were great. It didn't take long before it was posted back to me and I'm delighted with the end result. I was a wee bit apprehensive as to how it would turn out but I have to say, what a beautiful job he's made of it.

I'm super impressed and really happy. I understand the work involved and I really appreciate the time and effort that's been put in to get it to how it looks now. It has totally transformed the look of, lets be honest, an industrial looking finish to one that wouldn't look too shabby in a Jambo trophy cabinet!

I read that he's not doing anymore, so I'm even more grateful that he took the time to do this for me, much appreciated Graeme.

Great work G!

Well, it would make a change to see anything in a Jambo trophy cabinet. Great work though, @Gairdner

I'll post some pictures ...
Lovely after polishing.
JdfK8Kf.gif

Lovely after polishing.
JdfK8Kf.gif

I’ve just watched this for the very first time and am rather humbled by such kind words and obvious pleasure. You’re a natural on video, @Kevy.

My heart says go and polish the razor world till it shines like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun but practicality wins out. No workshop presently and the filth that polishing generates makes Matron very angry. And that’s not a pretty sight. Especially when the 12 gauge rusty hypodermic comes out or you wake to find a rubber tube protruding from a dark orifice. No, not worth it by a long chalk.

However, should someone’s need be truly great and my time free, I may consider it. Stars align, ash before oak, Mars mating with Mercury, yada, yada…

Back
Top Bottom