Rhodium Plating

Father Ted said:
Heard back off the Razor Emporium - $60 for the head only all in. He has a whole razor for $100, so Im wondering if its worth sending the head off or just buying the whole shebang.
Obviously we are back to the being dry bummed by the post office for the "new" item as opposed to the "repaired" item which wont attract duty.
Im going to have a think as Im not sure how much longer rhodium would last compared with chrome plating.

What razor head is it? Just got an Old done in the usual fashion by Dave. Lovely job. What are you planning to beautify?

Father Ted said:
Im going to have a think as Im not sure how much longer rhodium would last compared with chrome plating.

Hi there,

You should ask whoever's doing the job how thick the plating's applied. That's gonna have a lot to do with how the razor wears after some use. For example, the Razor Emporium will rhodium plate razors with 10 microinches of the metal. You might read up on what amount would be considered best for something like a razor head that will be used frequently.

Hope that helps,

Martin

49er said:
Father Ted said:
Heard back off the Razor Emporium - $60 for the head only all in. He has a whole razor for $100, so Im wondering if its worth sending the head off or just buying the whole shebang.

What razor head is it? Just got an Old done in the usual fashion by Dave. Lovely job. What are you planning to beautify?

A 1930's tech, you know me and techs. You probably think its not worth it.
And you would probably be right!

Father Ted said:
49er said:
Father Ted said:

A 1930's tech, you know me and techs. You probably think its not worth it.
And you would probably be right!

As long as you stick it on a heavy handle like an iKon, it will be well worth it. Well, replating. Not sure about Rhodium!

Well, in the end I bought a replated nickel one off safetyrazors.co.uk and currently i resides on the iKon handle that cost me more than the GDP of a small African country.
I still cant believe I paid that much for one.
I currently have 2 tech heads that would benefit from re-plating. Both early heavy ones.

The iKon handle on the Mach 3 head was a cheapo one before prices went daft. Just the latter one. I tried to buy direct be he wasnt answering my emails so I felt the only way of getting on was via evil bay

Father Ted said:
I currently have 2 tech heads that would benefit from re-plating. Both early heavy ones.

What's up Ted,

I know you really enjoy some of the various Tech versions..........I like a few of em myself actually. Yeah, they're a nice fit and very easy and comfortable to use.

I have a suggestion for you regarding something you'll find amusing to shave with. That would be trying a Stahly head on the Tech handle and see what happens. Actually, if the Ikon handle works on a Tech it'll work on the Stahly head also.

This head feels a lot like a Tech, but better. It's a good bit heavier for one thing, and the blade angle seems even a little nicer than what a Tech provides. Seriously.

I'd be happy to send that head to sample for a week or so. Use the pm feature if interested and no problem if you'd rather skip it.

Martin

Here's a few pics with the Tech/Stahly combo

Attachments

• Tech and Stahly combo 003 (Small).jpg
    Tech and Stahly combo 003 (Small).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Tech and Stahly combo 001 (Small).jpg
    Tech and Stahly combo 001 (Small).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Tech and Stahly combo 005 (Small).jpg
    Tech and Stahly combo 005 (Small).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 72
Is that the Live Blade head?
The look a beast with the clockwork handle- there is one on eBay USA and Im half tempted. The idea of a vibrating DE razor is both a little frightening and rather intriguing....

Father Ted said:
Is that the Live Blade head?
The look a beast with the clockwork handle- there is one on eBay USA and Im half tempted. The idea of a vibrating DE razor is both a little frightening and rather intriguing....

Yep, that's the one. I found a complete Stahly in great shape a few months ago and figured I'd try the thing for the hell of it. Long story short, I ended up using the head on a few different handles with great success. The handle it comes with weighs about half a pound or so, and feels like I'm shaving with a small flashlight in my hand...heh. Surprisingly mild shave when it's vibrating, but even better on a good handle. Turned out to be one of my favorite combos using a Tech or EJ handle.

If you can find a Stahly cheap, give it a try. Or as I said, I can send you mine out (just the head) to sample ona handle of yours. I'd bet money you're gonna like how it works.

Martin

Here's a few pics using one of the heavier EJ handles with that head. Talk about a nice feel to a razor......whew. Sadly, that handle was on loan to me...sigh.

Attachments

• EJ&Stahly combo 004 (Small).jpg
    EJ&Stahly combo 004 (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 46
  • EJ&Stahly combo 002 (Small).jpg
    EJ&Stahly combo 002 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 46
Does anyone do this in the UK?

I googled across this firm in East Yorkshire that do plating, I enquired about rhodium plating and they said - 'we now use palladium which is the modern alternative for rhodium'.

http://PureGoldPlating.co.uk

Pure Gold Plating
48 Southwood Park
Driffield
East Yorkshire
YO25 9HJ
United Kingdom

that gold plating looks nice

Back
Top Bottom