Revisor ?

They have a number of grind descriptions on their site, any clarity on this?

they mention course/wedge, course/hollow, 1/1 hollow. most 6/8's are 1/1 hollow & the 4/8's have the most variety.

I don´t know. Sometimes it´s hard to tell if a blade is a full hallow or a 3/4 hallow, maybe they have something to name those inbetween with? Neil should know!?

We once had a discussion about what a true wedge is and we couldn´t agree. I don´t know who´s right (well, I do, but I don´t want to beat my own drum ... oops :lol:), but they´ve strong oppinions sometimes and stand by them - and not without right, they can and do make really nice/good razors.

Like most things in life, the nomenclature has got a little fuzzy over the years. An example is the meaning of 'wedge' - once it was a blade with straight edges, like a thin triangle in cross section. Where the faces meet at the apex is the cutting point, so I suppose each face could be considered a bevel - a bit different from that little strip of shiny metal most of us recognise as the bevel today! In honing, an equal amount of metal had to be removed from each face of the blade, over its entire width. Laborious. A piece of tape on the spine elevates the blade just enough to ensure that only a thin bevel at the apex is necessary - a slight hollow does the same, keeping just the edge of the spine and the tip of the bevel in contact with the hone. Nowadays, people seem to be calling even slightly hollowed razors 'wedges' whereas they are not. Better to call them 'near wedges' or 'slightly hollow ground' in my opinion.

A 'flat ground' razor is the same thing as a 'wedge' - the sides should be ground flat. Revisors example of a flat grind is anything but flat - it has a distinct hollow.

1/1 hollow is the same as 'full hollow' ground - a thin, flexible grind with a lot of metal scooped out of each face of the razor. It doesn't always look the same, though. The simplest full hollow grind is just that - the faces of the razor are ground on an arc. To make the blade a little less flexible, a 'ridge' of metal is sometimes left - in section you would see a ground arc, a bump, and another ground arc. This leaves a ridge running parallel to the spine, and complicates the grinding process, as a number of grinding wheels of different diameter are used to create the ridge. The ridge may be high or low on the blade. Low ones present a problem if the blade has been chipped and needs the bottom ground off as you soon get into thicker metal.

The 1914 catalogue Henckels produced show their grinds, starting at 14 - an extra hollow grind and finishing at 1 - a wedge (note that their wedge looks slightly hollow - a different beast entirely from early 1800s razors):

[attachment=0]

The variations seem too miniscule to notice in many of the above examples - for instance a lot of the top row would qualify as a full hollow grind, in my opinion.

The extra-hollow grinds are examples of the most refined work - extremely thin blades that deflect easily. They are sometimes known as 'singing' blades, and are not to be confused with earlier sheffield examples that have 'extra-hollow ground' in the description or sometimes engraved on the blade itself, like some old Cadman Bengall razors: these are usually a bit stiffer than full hollow judging by the many examples I have seen and nothing like a german extra hollow from the Henckels table.

Regards,
Neil

Attachments

• grinds.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 96
zig zag said:
So Neil, would you say that a Revisor 1/1 hollow as opposed to a Revisor hollow is, well, more hollow?

That's a good question! I don't think Revisor produce anything more hollow than their 1/1 hollow in their current production models. The answer to the question really depends on how they are using the word 'hollow' - you could ask is a 'black cat blacker than a cat' - they are both cats certainly, but we haven't got a full description of one of them!

If in doubt I would drop Revisor a line and ask about the specific model you are interested in - the guy who runs the business is called Thomas and he speaks really good english and is very helpful, fast to reply to emails too. Might take a bit longer than usual at this time of year, though, as I understand Thomas and his wife make a special event of christmas.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom