REVIEW - Phoenix & Beau 'Obsidian' (TSR Limited Edition)

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau 'TSR Limited Edition' Obsidian - It is a shave soap that invokes ancient Gods...

20160504_190037-01.jpeg

20160504_123717-01.jpeg

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
As I've come to find with all Phoenix & Beau soaps, it is a moderately soft soap, which means it loads very easily, so a shortish load (brush dependant) and you're golden.

20160504_190116-01.jpeg

SCENT:
I inhaled slowly from the tub and got a hit of the dirty, wet vetiver, with a hint of sweetness that I suspect was the frankincense coming through, with the almost fern like oakmoss hitting you last. Very primal scents. I proceeded to make a lather in the bowl with The Monster, and quickly found that the lather is of typical P&B excellence. The scent changes in the bowl, mellowing if you will, becoming more balanced. Upon the face, the earthiness strikes you first and foremost, with an image of smoky fire being conjoured as the complex scents dance their mystical way up your nose.

What struck me as I'd finished the shave was the scent changed again. Any remains of the scent left on my skin warmed to provide a woody, almost musky aroma. A very pleasant, but unexpected twist to the dark tale of Obsidian.

A simply stunning profile of scents here, make no mistake. I'll use this one sparingly so as not to run out...either that or I shall have to cross Kerry's palm with mucho silver and make offerings to various deities to obtain more!

LATHERABILITY:
As briefly mentioned earlier, the whole range of P&B soaps are incredibly easy to lather. They are fairly soft soaps, so even the softest of bristles won't fail to take plenty of product. Again, P&B is thirsty soap, so ample water is needed during the build once you've created your proto lather which is nice and elastic. Even the greenest of wet shavers won't fail to get a good lather with this soap.

20160507_135800-01.jpeg

PERFORMANCE:
Unlike the moniker of this soap, there is plenty of cushion on hand with this soap, ideal for sharper blades. When it comes to slickness, you'll find it here in abundance. Put it this way, you thought a politicians shoulders were slick given what slides off them, they haven't got a patch on P&B soap lather! I've found the overall shave performance quite simply sublime throughout, from the first pass with heavy growth, right down to the ATG pass in my trouble spots. Nay a hair of drama. Perfect.

POST SHAVE:
You'll have noticed by now from reading my reviews, that Post Shave Finish is one of my primary factors when considering a soap purchase. Given the base soap is the great P&B tallow formula, I knew up front I was in for a treat, and I was not mistaken. As a pleasant afternote, the warmer woody scents developed once I'd rinsed and dried my face, always a nice touch.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
I think Kerry and I need to have a 'Godfather' type moment, where I sit him down and make him an offer he can't refuse to make more of this soap (sadly a limited edition run of 50 tubs). This is quite simply exquisite. The imagery the name and scents invoke are quite spellbinding. As a younger gentleman (33), previously I wouldn't have thought the scent profile would have been my particular brand of single malt so to speak, but I was captivated by the promised profile. The performance cannot be questioned, Phoenix & Beau soaps sit atop the podium for me in every way, Obsidian is no exception.

20160505_053456-01.jpeg

Great review Nick! Couldn't agree more. I worry about post shave, tallow based soaps, due to some being very clogging. This is balanced superbly considering the proportion of EO and tallow used. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Indeed a most enjoyable read, Nick. This didn't help my anxious waiting for the soap to reach Norwegian soil, my mailbox, and ultimately my brush and my face...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom