Review - Phoenix & Beau Albion

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau Albion Shaving Soap - It's soap that enables you to shave!

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
I've been testing Albion over the last 5 days to ensure I get to know it's foibles and idiosyncrasies. For the first two days I bowl lathered, and the second two days, I face lathered. Day 5 I chose my favourite method out of the two to lather...what is it I hear you ask? Well, the video review below will show!

SCENT:
Albion was listed as having a predominantly bergamot, lavender and grapefruit profile, with patchouli in there to bind everything together. My initial response to the long slow inhale was wow. This is a very fresh and light scent, ideal for those who prefer a milder scented soap. Upon shaving with Albion for the first time, I was greeted with a very familiar aroma. A split second later I identified it as Earl Grey tea, which makes perfect sense given the presence of bergamot. It is a classy, light, elegant scent, very nice indeed.

LATHERABILITY:
As is typical with Phoenix & Beau soaps, Albion lathers with criminal ease. A short 30 second load provides more than enough lather for 5 passes EASILY. I've learned that soaking my Cadman 26mm silvertip, then two gentle shakes provides the PERFECT amount of water to lather a P&B soap without the need for additional water. Rich, creamy lather is produced with this level of water in a bowl. For face lathering however, I suggest starting with less water as the sheer volume of lather created can overwhelm you if you're not prepared for it :D

PERFORMANCE:
There is a stylised image of Her Majesty on the lid of Albion, and the performance matches the expectation of a soap more than worthy of a Royal Warrant. Those in Buckingham Palace need to try this soap, it would EASILY earn this accolade. Slick as you like, more protective than a 20 man protective detail, there is no flaw in the performance at all.

POST SHAVE:
I'll say it again, a soap that provides a fantastic post shave is paramount for me. Albion does not disappoint. I'm sitting here stroking my face, trying to find a chink in the armour, but am coming up empty handed. I cannot fault the post shave feel at all. Smooth, no dryness, no tightness, nada.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
So, what do I think of Albion? Well, it is plain as the nose on my face that it is a brilliant addition to not only my shave den, but the product line from Phoenix & Beau. It has a delectable scent, performance that other soaps can only hope for, and a post shave feel that leaves you feeling GREAT! After the initial shave, I thought I'd want a stronger scent, however, like a fine Earl Grey tea, the subtlety of the aromas is key, for it is meant to be gentle. Give Albion a try, it is truly fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom