REVIEW - Braun 7865cc Electric Razor

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Braun 7 Series Electric Razor - 7865cc

It's an electric razor, with built in trimmer, and a docking station that acts as both a charging unit AND a razor head cleaner. Provided to me for purpose of review by Braun via BzzAgent, free of charge.

METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
OK, I'll touch on the presentation first. The box is good, it provides all the information you could feasibly want to know about the razor prior to purchase, which is nice. I hate getting products that don't answer the most basic of queries on the box prior to purchase. Granted, I know you can research online before purchase, but if you're browsing the shelf in say Boots, you need as much as possible up front. No complaints here.

The 7865cc is a well built bit of kit, it is solid and feels as such in the hand. The docking station that acts as the charger/cleaner is also well put together and easy to operate. A simple few buttons operate all the functions. The cleaner solution cartridge is easy to fit, as is the charging cable and razor into the unit. Again, no complaints here either.

Now, as for the performance of the razor, the trimmer first. It is easy to release from the main unit, simply slide the tactile button and boom, ready to go after switching on. It is wide enough to easily tidy up sideburns evenly. The main functions of the razor again are easy to operate. The lock mechanism for the head is a simple lock switch, slide into place and the head is secure for shaving under the nose. It's also easy to release. Changing the intensity level of the razor from mildest to most aggressive is also easy, simply press the minus or positive button to suit.

My first shave with the razor was with one days growth (I am a daily shaver, using traditional DE razors and soaps etc), and shaved the left side of my face with the mildest setting, the right with the most aggressive. I followed the manual instructions for a dry shave, which suggested to shave against the grain (growth direction). If I am honest, I did not notice any difference in feel, nor in the stubble removed. In fact, it left most (if not all) of the growth untouched in many places. Not great. From there I thought I'd leave my next shave for a couple of days to allow the razor more growth to deal with. This gave a much better removal rate (again mild to aggressive). I still didn't notice any difference in feel during the shave, but your mileage may vary. I still found that the shave was not that close, I still had visible stubble around my adams apple, and an apparent 5 o'clock shadow developed very quickly.

Now, when using the razor 'wet' so to speak, it starts to make sense. As mentioned, I am a traditional wet shaver, so I used a traditional soap and brush setup to lather my face, and shaved using the 7865cc. Suddenly, the razor was transformed. On a single days growth (following a dry shave using the 7865cc, so a touch more stubble than after a wet shave), it was able to grab the stubble and cut it efficiently, leaving me with what we know as a DFS (damned fine shave). No irritation, a more than acceptable result. The adams apple region still has a bit more stubble than I like, but this is my personal trouble spot, even wet shaving I sometimes have to leave this area less than 100% stubble free due to the sensitivity of that area.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
I'll break this down into two lists, likes and dislikes:

LIKES - speed, convenience, solid feel, product presentation, brand reputation, better performance when used 'wet', convenience of cleaning/charging station.
DISLIKES - dry shave feel, lack of closeness during dry shave, weight of plug tends to leave the wire not secure when mounted in a wall mounted socket.

I was genuinely surprised at just how much better the razor performs wet as opposed to dry. Night and day. I could happily use the 7865cc daily with a good lather and have no complaints. The cleaning and charging station is convenient and hassle free.

I've created two videos for you to view, first the short and sweet conclusion:

And a full in depth video, showing full usage and the features:

Enjoy!

It's an electric razor, with built in trimmer, and a docking station that acts as both a charging unit AND a razor head cleaner. Provided to me for purpose of review by Braun via BzzAgent, free of charge.

METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
OK, I'll touch on the presentation first. The box is good, it provides all the information you could feasibly want to know about the razor prior to purchase, which is nice. I hate getting products that don't answer the most basic of queries on the box prior to purchase. Granted, I know you can research online before purchase, but if you're browsing the shelf in say Boots, you need as much as possible up front. No complaints here.

The 7865cc is a well built bit of kit, it is solid and feels as such in the hand. The docking station that acts as the charger/cleaner is also well put together and easy to operate. A simple few buttons operate all the functions. The cleaner solution cartridge is easy to fit, as is the charging cable and razor into the unit. Again, no complaints here either.

Now, as for the performance of the razor, the trimmer first. It is easy to release from the main unit, simply slide the tactile button and boom, ready to go after switching on. It is wide enough to easily tidy up sideburns evenly. The main functions of the razor again are easy to operate. The lock mechanism for the head is a simple lock switch, slide into place and the head is secure for shaving under the nose. It's also easy to release. Changing the intensity level of the razor from mildest to most aggressive is also easy, simply press the minus or positive button to suit.

My first shave with the razor was with one days growth (I am a daily shaver, using traditional DE razors and soaps etc), and shaved the left side of my face with the mildest setting, the right with the most aggressive. I followed the manual instructions for a dry shave, which suggested to shave against the grain (growth direction). If I am honest, I did not notice any difference in feel, nor in the stubble removed. In fact, it left most (if not all) of the growth untouched in many places. Not great. From there I thought I'd leave my next shave for a couple of days to allow the razor more growth to deal with. This gave a much better removal rate (again mild to aggressive). I still didn't notice any difference in feel during the shave, but your mileage may vary. I still found that the shave was not that close, I still had visible stubble around my adams apple, and an apparent 5 o'clock shadow developed very quickly.

Now, when using the razor 'wet' so to speak, it starts to make sense. As mentioned, I am a traditional wet shaver, so I used a traditional soap and brush setup to lather my face, and shaved using the 7865cc. Suddenly, the razor was transformed. On a single days growth (following a dry shave using the 7865cc, so a touch more stubble than after a wet shave), it was able to grab the stubble and cut it efficiently, leaving me with what we know as a DFS (damned fine shave). No irritation, a more than acceptable result. The adams apple region still has a bit more stubble than I like, but this is my personal trouble spot, even wet shaving I sometimes have to leave this area less than 100% stubble free due to the sensitivity of that area.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:

LIKES - speed, convenience, solid feel, product presentation, brand reputation, better performance when used 'wet', convenience of cleaning/charging station.
DISLIKES - dry shave feel, lack of closeness during dry shave, weight of plug tends to leave the wire not secure when mounted in a wall mounted socket.

I was genuinely surprised at just how much better the razor performs wet as opposed to dry. Night and day. I could happily use the 7865cc daily with a good lather and have no complaints. The cleaning and charging station is convenient and hassle free.

Enjoy!
Interesting .

If it ever breaks take it here http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...last-razor-repairman-in-paris?ft=nprml&f=1001

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That article was a great read :) It's true, there aren't many people left like him. I wish there were.

I used the 7 series braun for years before picking up a de razor. I used to like it but haven't even picked it up since I started wet shaving. Just sits on a ledge looking unloved and dusty. Maybe break the poor thing out for a run tomorrow. Nah! Who am I kidding. Lol. Good review tho Nick.
Cheers fella :) It's handy for many reasons to have around (speed mainly and for those on anticoagulants say), and it may see more use as a travel razor where I may not have the facilities to wet shave "properly".

METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:

Enjoy!

Just out of curiosity, do you think it's worth its hefty price tag ?
Being in the army I spend a fair bit of time away in places with no running water.
so looking for a decent electric razor, I suspect I'd be able to find a more suited one for a far less amount of money.
Cheers for the review

Just out of curiosity, do you think it's worth its hefty price tag ?
Being in the army I spend a fair bit of time away in places with no running water.
so looking for a decent electric razor, I suspect I'd be able to find a more suited one for a far less amount of money.
Cheers for the review
Well it does have a massive price tag and I'll be honest no, I couldn't justify it myself. I'd be looking for a closer shave myself from it before I would consider parting with £300!

A few weeks back I found my Braun electric shaver at the back of the cupboard. Thought it might be useful for headshaves when time was short.

It took so long to get any reasonable reduction of stubble completed that I gave up. Now that I have my headshaving technique fairly well sorted, I can get a great shave in more or less the same amount of time by getting a DE shave set up.

It's taken 3-4 months to get here, but I can now get a 3 pass DE face shave done in about 10 mins max, with the clock starting as I get out of the shower. Only thing I have to do before that is toss the brush in a tub of water to soak while in the shower. I could probably do it faster if I needed to, and often if I have time I take it slower.

A few weeks back I found my Braun electric shaver at the back of the cupboard. Thought it might be useful for headshaves when time was short.

It took so long to get any reasonable reduction of stubble completed that I gave up. Now that I have my headshaving technique fairly well sorted, I can get a great shave in more or less the same amount of time by getting a DE shave set up.

It's taken 3-4 months to get here, but I can now get a 3 pass DE face shave done in about 10 mins max, with the clock starting as I get out of the shower. Only thing I have to do before that is toss the brush in a tub of water to soak while in the shower. I could probably do it faster if I needed to, and often if I have time I take it slower.
Is your razor a wet/dry version? If it is, give it a bash with a thin lather coat and see if it improves (this did for me).

Back
Top Bottom