Restore Razors or ???

You can stop this right now, it's worse than being in a Carry On film with you lot at times.........Right shower, shave and off to get some Red nob Paint from the "Model" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) shop......... :lol: :lol: :roll:

I think we should draw the line between restoring and cleaning up a razor. For me restoring would mean to restore to it's former beauty, e.g cleaning up and replating.

While at it, does anyone use or can recommend a small tool/machine/anything that can be used for replating? I saw a picture of one a while ago but I can't recall the name, brand or URL. Thx

tritrek said:
I think we should draw the line between restoring and cleaning up a razor. For me restoring would mean to restore to it's former beauty, e.g cleaning up and replating.

While at it, does anyone use or can recommend a small tool/machine/anything that can be used for replating? I saw a picture of one a while ago but I can't recall the name, brand or URL. Thx

If you get a vintage razor you should clean, service and sanitise it before you use it, that would be common sense as you don't know what has happened to it before you get it?
By restore I mean put back to as it left the factory, re-plate, re-paint ect.
If you are looking for a plating kit either ebay or google "re-plating kits" to find a vendor in your area. They are not cheap (for a decent one) so unless you are planning on doing a lot it may be better to send your razors off to get them done. And also remember if you want to plate in anything but nickel you will have to pay more for the plating material ?

missingskin said:
tritrek said:

If you get a vintage razor you should clean, service and sanitise it before you use it, that would be common sense as you don't know what has happened to it before you get it?
If you are looking for a plating kit either ebay or google "re-plating kits" to find a vendor in your area. They are not cheap (for a decent one) so unless you are planning on doing a lot it may be better to send your razors off to get them done. And also remember if you want to plate in anything but nickel you will have to pay more for the plating material ?

Or use Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk
He just did a re store and re plate for me in less than 1 week on an Aristocrat Junior that is now in my 2 shaver cycle the other being a lovely condition Slim. So as far as I am concerned will not be selling but using them, so it is nice to use a lovely looking object.
When the Aristocrat was returned to me it now looks mint for far less money than I would have had to pay for a truly mint one. So can now enjoy shaving with it and not panic that I might be devaluing a very expensive razor, after all they are meant to be used.

If you are looking for a plating kit either ebay or google "re-plating kits" to find a vendor in your area. They are not cheap (for a decent one) so unless you are planning on doing a lot it may be better to send your razors off to get them done. And also remember if you want to plate in anything but nickel you will have to pay more for the plating material ?[/quote]

Or use Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk
He just did a re store and re plate for me in less than 1 week on an Aristocrat Junior that is now in my 2 shaver cycle the other being a lovely condition Slim. So as far as I am concerned will not be selling but using them, so it is nice to use a lovely looking object.

Exactly my point?....... ;)

I've written to safetyrazors.co.uk (Dave?) regarding razor restoration/replating... has been anyone in contact with him lately? It's a week and still no response... :cry:

Plus a Q to those who have had their razors replated by him: it is cotaing even the old plating over with a new layer of chrome or doe he remove the old plating somehow and place a brand new single coat?

Back
Top Bottom