Restoration

Ive just finished this restoration of a Simpsons KH2 for a forum member.
He's yet to receive the brush but I have his permission to show the before and after.
The little brush was in a a sorry state and although much loved by the owner it needed a new lease of life.
It was reknotted, cleaned, and polished and although still in an aged but lighter butterscotch colour it looks fresh and ready to go for many years to come.
A pleasure to do and lovely to see it come to life again :)
The KH2 is a beautiful little brush but I dont know if its still in production.
regards, beejay

Attachments

• P1020492.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 133
  • P1020514.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 133
Very nice, did you use polishing mop or something else to get a nice shine on that?
I understand the KH is still available to buy.
Who's is it any way?

antdad said:
Very nice, did you use polishing mop or something else to get a nice shine on that?
I understand the KH is still available to buy.
Who's is it any way?
Thanks antdad,
Sometimes I use the lathe and sometimes a mop but in this instance I left it on the lathe as I had to turn out some chips on the base. After wet sanding and cutting back which took it close to final gloss I gave it a final polish with T-Cut then a crystal polish.

Rev-O said:
Fantastic!

What are your prices, in case I see an old shedder on ebay?
Thanks Rev,
I dont have a price list as such and I treat each piece individually so it would depend on what work was required
This is a hobby for me and I only look to cover my costs and some of my time. Hopefully my charges won't offend anyone. :)

Regards, beejay

How did you hold that in a metal jawed chuck without the risk of damage, did you make a mandrel for it or use a running centre?

antdad said:
How did you hold that in a metal jawed chuck without the risk of damage, did you make a mandrel for it or use a running centre?

I've got a set of pin jaws on one of the chucks that will fit into a 20mm hole and allow a bit of expansion to hold the handle in place while I worked on the base of the brush.
Once the base was completed I taped it to protect it and held it in a set of dovetail jaws using the live centre as support in the brush hole.
The KH shape allowed me to do this with ease and without risk of damage.
If Im turning a new handle, I usually turn a spigot, chuck hold and part off when the brush is finished.
Because of the variety of handle shapes I often need to make up wooden jaws, mandrels, pin chucks, jam chucks etc to accomodate them. All part of the fun/challenge.
beejay

beejay said:
Because of the variety of handle shapes I often need to make up wooden jaws, mandrels, pin chucks, jam chucks etc to accomodate them. All part of the fun/challenge.
beejay

You mean for existing handles, right? Can't see where you would need that for a new handle -- possibly only for the base...

I usually clamp a block of wood in the 4 jaw chuck and drill a knot hole on the lathe with a so-called 3D-drill (not entirely unlike a forstner...). The drill leaves a shallow center hole at the base of the knot hole that I use as 'pilot hole' for my thin live centre (I have a Nova lathe, and the Nova live centre with its assortment of specialized centres). The live centre supports the bottom of the knot hole and leaves the edge of the hole free to be shaped right up to the end.

Thanks, for restorations of plastic handled brushes what method do you prefer for reboring/removing the knot. I have found the knot has usually well and truly adhered to the handle so its a pig of a job.

antdad said:
Thanks, for restorations of plastic handled brushes what method do you prefer for reboring/removing the knot. I have found the knot has usually well and truly adhered to the handle so its a pig of a job.

Depends on the state of the old knot and what I think it'll be like inside.
Old plastic/resins/acrylics can become brittle over time so I use a drill press with small bits to test and then move up to a larger bit to drill out as much bulk.
I then go on to a dremel with various bits and I also use scalpels to to get some material out.
This can be a laborious process and one that I don't rush.
After that its a case of filling the inside and setting to the required level before the new knot's introduced.
regards, beejay

Top stuff.

Nice way to keep an old brush going. It does beg the Trigger's Broom question, of course.

;) ;)

Now who will translate *that* for Henk?

Back
Top Bottom