Restoration of DE Razors.

Is worthwhile looking for old DE razors in need of restoration? by which I mean more than cleaning up with a tooth brush. I see razors in junk shops and at car boot sales, most of which are in poor condition. Can they be "brought back to life"?. I imagine re-plating, or re-chroming is an expensive process and not worth the expense, given that old razors don't seem to be of great value relatively speaking..So, what is possible? how do you go about cleaning up an old razor in need of tlc? what tools are needed for the job? Any help or advice appreciated.

Plating on old razors is usually pretty good, so more often than not, what looks like loss of plating is often scum and dirt.
The problem is getting it off, toothbrush will get a lot off, but not everything, a nice long soak also does wonders.

But nothing beats a few runs in an ultrasonic cleaner, cheap ones are available, but I find them less effective than a good one.
For a good pro/semi/pro cleaner you're looking at 70-100+ GBP depending on size and quality.

Some detergents will attack plating (and dull it), so be careful with what you use.

Replating is around 20 quid, which is often not worth it, unless it's a more expensive model. (i.e. Fatboy etc..)
I find the quality of modern plating not as good as the vintage plating, but that's just my opinion.

Max

whiterosegent said:
Is worthwhile looking for old DE razors in need of restoration? by which I mean more than cleaning up with a tooth brush. I see razors in junk shops and at car boot sales, most of which are in poor condition. Can they be "brought back to life"?. I

So, what is possible? how do you go about cleaning up an old razor in need of tlc? what tools are needed for the job? Any help or advice appreciated.

Hi there,

Having cleaned up countless razors over the years I can tell you most razors will come out rather well. Gold plated razors are the exception, since the polish I use isn't a good fit and I can't recall one that won't remove the finish. For those I'll use a thick paste made with baking soda and water and rub it around using my hands and maybe a not too stiff scrub brush.

Silver colored razors will usually respond well to Maas and Scrubbing Bubbles treatments, followed by a soak in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Silver PLATED razors are a kick to restore..........very easy actually. Maas works fine, but what's even better is the trick using tin foil, boiling water, and baking soda. That'll get rid of all that black tarnish and the razor sparkles when it's done.

I think you'll be surprised at how well vintage razors were constructed, and how the plating can still retain it's looks in many cases.

Martin

Ah, I have a cleaning question to.

Is there anything we should be doing different, or not using, when cleaning a rhodium plated razor, or is it just the same as when cleaning a normal one?

cubert said:
Ah, I have a cleaning question to.

Is there anything we should be doing different, or not using, when cleaning a rhodium plated razor, or is it just the same as when cleaning a normal one?

Hi there,

In my experience, the two rhodium plated razors I've cleaned up haven't shown any problems when using either Maas polish or Scrubbing Bubbles.

Martin

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/how-to-buy-and-restore-vintage-shaving-gear/">http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/ho ... ving-gear/</a><!-- m -->

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow the cleaning outline in this article. I've seen too many razor ruined by incorrect cleaning techniques!!!

Razor Emporium said:
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/ho ... ving-gear/

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow the cleaning outline in this article. I've seen too many razor ruined by incorrect cleaning techniques!!!
Great article very informative, and also the comments below the article..Thanks for posting this.

Back
Top Bottom