Restoration custom job finished.

As a few of you know I restored my Kropp razor, and asked some of you your opinion on what scales I should use, well I decided on clrear acrylic scales so I order a small A4 3mm sheet off the Bay, well I have finished the project even though I would consider it a success, and a very enjoyable learning experience on pinning and rescaling a razor with basic tools, overall i'm dissapointed with the aesthestics of the razor, to me the biggests flaw I would say is near the tang where the pin is situated there will eventually be a seen build up of grime and deposit that you cannot not normally see with solid colour razor scales, so eventually i'm going to make a new set but not in clear arcylic, anyway I will post a few shots of the doomed scales before I get rid of them. PS, I would also like your opinion regarding modern srtaight razors, if you could purchase any newly manufactured razor today regardless of cost which make model would you choose, I ask this because I may start collecting and want to know what's out there for me to look at?

Jamie.

001-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

004.jpg

You have done a cracking job there. I have tried to do a set of clear scales in the past and found it very hard to sand them smooth so the light didn't get refracted in strange ways.

You can be very proud of them for a first attempt.

With regards the new razors I have a Dovo and it shaves ok however I prefer to use the old razors especially the ones I have restored and honed.

I would like to ask would any straight razor restorers care to sell me a set of pins washers for my next set of scales, I managed OK with the invisible edge set that I used, but if i'm honest they didn't seem all that good.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I would like to ask would any straight razor restorers care to sell me a set of pins washers for my next set of scales, I managed OK with the invisible edge set that I used, but if i'm honest they didn't seem all that good.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie

PM me your address and I will send you a set of washers and some brass rod so you can do them yourself.

There is loads of info with regards doing them but if you are having problems give me a ring or call to my house and I will do them for you or show you how to do them.

Just had a look where you live calling to my house might be a bit of a problem for you. Hehe

Graham

It's a tidy job Jamie, but not my style I'm afraid. The temptation would be to use a clear wedge too, but anyway what you say about grime building up has the ring of truth.

A new Dovo will shave you well in my experience, but how pleased you'd be with the fit and finish is debatable. Think I'd be looking at a Revisor, or else a custom.

Fantastic job! Am I right in assuming you used that hand held drill? If so, that is more skill than I can muster.

I'm with the others too, personally clear scales are not my thing. I have a tough time liking blond horn, but it is growing on me.

As for modern straight razor makers. I recommend the following:

Bill Ellis (if you can get one)
Robert Williams
LR Harner

Yes, they are custom makers, but you did not specify mass manufacturing. These will be vastly more collectible and superior than anything from Dovo or TI.

That said, if you wanted to go mass manufacturer, I'd go with Wacker or TI.

Or you can get a new old stock razor from someone. You pay a little more, but not as much as custom.

I would like to thank you all for your expert knowlege input and constructive views, I must admit to falling head over heels with the custom & restoration section on the straight razor place, but you would have to have access to a well set up workshop to produce some of those restoration models iv'e seen. I dont have a worshop and everything I produce is usually by hand and eye, scales cut with hand held fretsaw, then hand formed, many hours polishing the blade and scales, as you know how hard it is to get a mirrior polish on plastic or arcylic scales, from 600 wet & dry then on to safe cut, it's labour intensive job without polishing wheels, sanding machines so on.

Jamie.

In general I don´t like clear acrylic scales, but sometimes it works out. Well done! It´s a time cosuming task to restore straights and you´ve done well (lovely blade).

This is Neils job and suggestion, I didn´t think it was going to pan out, but I think it did, when I saw it. This is now one my favourite blades:
007800x677.jpg

Really like your clear acrylic scales - would go nicely with this Plisson plexi brush and stand. Maybe micro allen bolts instead of pins would facilitate periodic opening for cleaning? Nice job!
2day455.jpg

Yes, microfasteners might be a good idea. Gàbor (Buddel) uses tiny little Torx bolts which look very good, but where to get them? With transparent scales I think friction washers are pretty much essential to prevent unsightly wear on the inside surfaces.

I've seen Torx bolts on a knife-making supplies site (must try and remember the url). A key issue might be though which length to buy (in the sense that you may not be able to cut them off as easily as a pin...)? I'll see if I can find the site this weekend.

In a way it's surprising that no pukka fasteners seem to have been developed for razors until the recent wave of custom makers. You'd have thought that someone would have tried something like a scaled down saw revet, but I've never heard of it. Anyway, soft rivets seem appropriate for the purpose because they're easy to tighten, and I've yet to come across an old razor which needed easing unless it was badly corroded.

As a Knife collector I would say that there are superior bolts and fastners that could be used on vintage razors, including ultra thin teflon washers, not only would they look better just because the quality finish, when you think of the purpose a knife was designed, these new materials would definietly out live and function better than a standard brass pin and washer, but you would have to know exactly the model and size bolts you need, teflon washers are standard on most top end folding knives, one of the worlds top custom knife makers Darrell Ralph takes commisions on straight razors, they are expensive! the blade steel are the modern day super steels, usual suspects, S30V, S90V, ATS 34, 189ZDP, being a knife collector and having sharpened these steels I tell you now these will old a superior edge, but man they take some sharpening. please take a look at this video just for you to see what kind of steel the Japanese are producing today, this video will show you the worlds finest made steel and exactly what it can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tB-K6S820

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom