Repairing misaligned silo doors. Possible?

I seem to have a curse when it comes to OC Aristocrats!

Shaved yesterday with my new one and thought 'hmm, it seems a bit more aggressive on one side than the other'.

Further investigation showed one silo door is very marginally higher than the other:

IMAG0180.jpg

The doors are fine until the final millimetre or so when they are tightened. Only at that point does the misalignment occur.

What this also means is that the blade is more exposed on one side than the other (as can be seen in the pictures below. I have used an Astra blade and the black dots should be the same on either side, but they're not).

What is strange is that if I hold the blade ends when tightening the razor the blade exposure is pretty much even on both sides. The plus side of this is that at least the razor can be used rather than just sit there looking pretty.

There's a thread here on Badger and Blade that talks about fiddling with the 'T' bars to realign the doors but it's a bit sketchy on detail.

Has anyone here ever attempted anything like the above and had success with it? If so, can I pick your brains?

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

It's obviously been dropped and I suspect one or more of the silo door legs are slightly bent

I've made a similar repair to one of my Aristo's, it's tricky. As the razor looks in nice condition I'd try and find a jeweller that can do the work.

Bugger! I thought that might be the case.

Are the silo door legs within the handle? And do many jewellers now have the skills to repair old DE razors?

The door legs are on the outer corners of the doors so they are vunerable but I can't be absolutely certain from the picture that's the problem.

A bespoke jeweller should have the skills to repair it, some will be more willing than others.

Tall_Paul said:
Asked one of the local jewellers who gave me a big thumbs down!

Has anyone ever used the repair service at SafetyRazors.co.uk?

Was going to point you in that direction Paul, i have a Fatboy with the same problem, one of the legs has been bent probably through taking a fall. Although it doesn't affect the shave in any way, it is noticeable and when opening the doors it requires a bit of help to open all the way.

Be interested to hear how you get on.

I had the same problem with a red tip rocket just took the doors off straightened them and popped them back on. To be honest you could fix it with just a watch makers hammer, few light taps( I have done this) thought remember and cover the impact point so not to Mark it and go lightly

Seeing that it's 'evenly' off. Could it just be a issue of dirt or old soap in the handle mechanism? Have you tried soaking it and then a few shots of oil or WD 40? On older razors that I get in I soak them for a day or 2 in barbicide and then squirt some WD40 through the top and it's interesting the dirt that comes out. They send to work better afterwards.

Johnus said:
Seeing that it's 'evenly' off. Could it just be a issue of dirt or old soap in the handle mechanism? Have you tried soaking it and then a few shots of oil or WD 40? On older razors that I get in I soak them for a day or 2 in barbicide and then squirt some WD40 through the top and it's interesting the dirt that comes out. They send to work better afterwards.

I'll give that a whirl John. Thanks.

Have also contacted SafetyRazors so I'll see what he says.

Thanks all.

Hmmm.

Emailed SafetyRazors. No response.

Rang them up. Spoke to a bloke who said 'we've just taken the company over' and didn't know if they repaired razors. Took my number around lunchtime. Never called back.

Conclusion - there is a good business opportunity for someone who can repair razors!

That isn't the conclusion I would draw.

Email Dave(@restoredrazors.com), as it's not his primary occupation he maybe away so you may not get an immediate response.

Thanks, I've emailed Dave.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you draw that conclusion? Have you dealt with them before?

antdad said:
That isn't the conclusion I would draw.

Email Dave(@restoredrazors.com), as it's not his primary occupation he maybe away so you may not get an immediate response.

Yes I have, Dave's great to deal with but I've only asked him to do replating jobs for me. I'm just not sure I'd call repairing vintage razors a business opportunity with such a limited market, a pass time for someone with the right skills perhaps?

I agree that the razor has taken a fall, and I think it might not be the only part that could be bent.

If you can send me some detailed close up shots, I'll have a look and give advice.
It's doable (and worth it on a razor like this), just need to know which part(s) is/are bent.

Max

Well, I spoke to Dave who told me I could send it to him but also told me how I could have go myself if I wanted to have a go before sending it to him.

Foolishly I had a go and I think I've put a couple of scratches on the T bars on one side.

I'm really peed off with my ineptness! Talk about be aware of your own shortcomings. :mad:

Max, many thanks for your kind offer.

The only problem is I'm a bit lacking in confidence after tonight and don't really want to keep bending the metal when I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. Also, I haven't got any jewellers pliers (I have smooth jawed ones, but they have a kink in the end).

However, if you don't mind PM'ing me I'd be really happy to have some advice.

Back
Top Bottom