Repairing a Gillette New handle?

I recently bought a Gold Plated (?) Gillette New in which the ball tip has separated from the the rest of the handle, which has a crack in it. I knew the razor was in this condition, but reckoned it would be easy to fix. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Would glue work? Are there any recommended brands of glue? Are there any glues which should be avoided?

Pictures below:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Interestingly enough there was a similar problem at the top of the razor handle which has been repaired with a nail. Although unsightly the repair does seem to be effective.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of gathering the equipment to do this to my NEW L.C. I'm also considering adding some heft to the handle by adding a small bolt to the alumium or brass tube that you insert into the handle. I did this to my NEW SC with a bar handle by adding #4 shot and sealing the handle with soft silicone putty. It worked great and helped the overall balance.

Where just the end(s) have become detached, I've managed to solder it back in with normal electrical cored solder (as opposed to silver solder, which needs more heat). Where there is a short crack in only the plain ends of the central knurled handle, the solder also anchors the crack, so it won't open up any more. It is possible, with care, to remove any solder which squeezes out from around the end-piece, or the crack.
Soldering won't work too well anywhere near the knurled section, if appearances matter. If it gets in the knurling, it's very difficult to remove by filing and brushing.

I should add that I have "professional grade" variable temperature equipment and a fair amount amount of soldering experience. It is also possible to work with a reasonable quality general purpose standard iron which will heat well, but a bit more complicated.
If you have neither the equipment nor any previous soldering experience, and don't know anyone who does, I wouldn't suggest trying it.

Glue then looks the better option, and the B&B link seems pretty comprehensive. The only thing I would make sure to do is use a marine-grade epoxy which is both water-resistant and able to withstand a certain amount of heat. Having been in the fishing industry, the epoxy which has given me good results in repairs to metal engine pipework is Loctite Marine Epoxy, which is good up to about 65 Centigrade, and which I think is outside the normal range for domestic hot water from the tap. The glue setting time will give you some leeway in making sure everything is in the right place or adjusted before it sets. However, if you let things set and they, for example, creep out of position, then considerable heat will be needed to break the bond, which can lead to all sorts of other problems. A real case of needing to "do it once and do it right".

Thanks for the advice. I have no soldering experience or soldering equipment, so I will go down the glue route. Loctite Marine Epoxy is quite pricey and seeing as I only paid £8.30 for the razor I will go for a cheaper brand of Marine Epoxy. At the moment I've put the head on a Tech handle.

Thanks for the advice. I have no soldering experience or soldering equipment, so I will go down the glue route. Loctite Marine Epoxy is quite pricey and seeing as I only paid £8.30 for the razor I will go for a cheaper brand of Marine Epoxy. At the moment I've put the head on a Tech handle.
That seems like the best way to go. You'll certainly get some experience in these repairs, which will come in useful. There are a lot of razors, Gillette and other makes, with cracks and other problems, and they usually go for little money. I expect you'll have a drawerful before long.
Anyway, best of luck, and I look forward to seeing the post-repair photographs.

Back
Top Bottom