Removing an original scent

I have come across an empty Roger & Gallet L'Homme refillable atomiser I had quite a few years back and hit on the thought of using it for some other cologne I have instead of pouring it into my hand. The problem is is that the scent of the R&G is still fairly noticeable inside the plastic bottle. Anyone here have any ideas as to what I can use to get rid of the original scent once and for all? I have tried a few different things such as meths and vinegar but nothing has shifted it as yet. There's absolutely (as Martin O'Neill would say) :lol: nothing wrong with the L'Homme smell, I still like it, I just don't want it to affect any other fregrance I put in it.

Cheers,
Phil.

Lemon juice or white vinegar solution.

Leave it to soak for a day or two and rinse out and repeat if necessary.

Failing that sterilizing powder solution or caustic soda/oven cleaner ?

antdad said:
Lemon juice or white vinegar solution.

Leave it to soak for a day or two and rinse out and repeat if necessary.

Failing that sterilizing powder solution or caustic soda/oven cleaner ?

I fear none of the methods mentioned here will work. They either rely on dissolution in water, neutralization, or (SA) mild oxidation. However, since this is a plastic bottle, the culprit is most likely a fat-soluble fragrance substance that has dissolved in the plastic matrix of the bottle itself. You'd either need a strong non-watermiscible solvent to draw it out, or something that could reach the stuff within the plastic matrix and destroy it there. Or aerate for an extended period of time and hope everything evaporates. All these methods take time. Aeration could be speeded up with forced ventilation and elevated temperatures (put the bottle in the over at low (50 °C) and get a jet of air to constantly wash out the bottle). Or use aliquots of acetone or even toluene to extract the stuff from the plastic. As for destruction, anything that tackles the fragrance molecules may very well also destroy the bottle.

So I doubt if it is worth it... Remember, the stuff has had ages to go and distribute itself within the plastic -- under normal conditions it would take ages to get it out again...

Or you could just bin it?

I bought a ladies handbag size 10mm atomiser and no its not gay looking with a pink ribbon.
Its made of stainless steel and looks like a large (3") silver bullett it has a push fit cap with a glass refilable vial inside.

was a bit of a find as I have yet to see another one.

Back
Top Bottom