Refurbed Gaggias

Can't afford a brand new one but can get a refurbed Cubika for £65 or Espresso Pure for £90 or the Espreso colour for £100.

Anyone give some decent advice on these machines?

RE: Refurbed Gaggia's

There's usually someone selling refurbed Classics on flea bay for about £130...if you can stretch to it I'd go for that, tried and tested.

Not seen them yet. Off to John Lewis's in Liverpool to check out what the espresso colour is like (160 in there) without buying.

Just spotted a B grade one.

This is the eBay seller to watch http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Netelectrics_Household-Products/_i.html?_fsub=2309815018&_sid=58774558
They often have refurbed Classics for £120-130.

That's the one i'm looking at who have the others. At least the size of the Espresso Colour for cups looks a lot better than the cubika (checked it at lunchtime) so if nothing comes up might go for one of those.

loads of people in John Lewis's looking at various machines.

Good choice... Apart from the baby ( same internals as classic) the other lower models are terrible, very small boilers, non standard portafilters, often with pressurised baskets, and lots and lots of plastic.

Lose the beard said:
The new Gaggia Classics come with baskets designed for easy filter pouch things. I replaced my baskets with ones from Happy Donkey, they work much better.

LTB can you be kind pop a link to the one you bought. Also did you remove the widget?

These are the baskets I bought. I bought all 3 ;)

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/gaggia-and-italy-filter-baskets.html

I got the Double basket for a double shot, a single basket for single shot, and the backflushing one for cleaning. I don't appear to be using the single shot one at all.

With these new baskets you don't need the little black widget thing in the portafilter.

Lose the beard said:
The new Gaggia Classics come with baskets designed for easy filter pouch things. I replaced my baskets with ones from Happy Donkey, they work much better.

A friend of mine sent me a different link for similar and said order that and you'll be fine.

Neither turned up yet but my espresso beans have arrived from that well know coffee growing area, Birkenhead...

Finally got round to clearing a space in the kitchen for this and the new grinder. Decent espresso so far and i'm obviously nowhere near getting it close to perfect.

Very happy with it.

Re: Refurbed Gaggia's

Takes a while to get it just right. It has taken me a long time to dial the grinder in so it is fine enough. I'm about right now although with different beans it requires a little tweaking. A double shot pours in approx 25 seconds now so I'm happy.

The quality of the beans seems very important from what I have noticed so far.

A friend says he has got it to 45 seconds. Not sure how the hell he has done that. About 20 seconds for me so far but yep a bit hit and miss. Grinder wise i got a cheap Krups one for 40 quid as can't justify (yet) getting a much better one.

Think caffeine is now overtaking alcohol as my sin...

Back
Top Bottom