Reducing brush loft

Paul said:
Or you could snip some of the loft off, would make any brush very scrubby though.

Boars in general are trimmed. At least in my experience Omegas are partially trimmed to round top off some of them are specially treated at the tip of tufts. If everything was clipped I reckon they won't split and become softer with use. The only Boar that's soft from the tips compared to any I've used is Vie-Long 12315.

Paul said:
I had a customer that wanted a very scrubby brush so I suggest an Omega 10005 or 11137.

They received a 11137 but wanted something harsher, so I sent them cheap wooden handle model I had lying around. This model had definitely been shaped by a blade or shears & felt very rough. I never heard back from them so I can only assume they liked it. Some cheaper brushes tend to be shaped / finished with a blade (i.e. Wilkinson boar) not to my taste but someone must like them & you can make more brushes if you cut the bristles in half.

I wouldn't recommend this, your best off trading the brush & finding one with a shorter loft. Boar hair is & I can imagine badger hair would be very harsh when cut.

I had a "Premium" Badger by Bill Campbell and it's clipped. The worst feeling brush ever. Between cheap Chinese Boar and that I don't know which is lesser of the two.

Blyth Spirit said:
Paul said:
Or you could snip some of the loft off, would make any brush very scrubby though.

Sounds a bit final :) .

Does this technique work with Boar and Badger or does it have limitations? Sadly, I find this concept fascinating. :oops:

On reflection that reads wrong.

I meant the velcro/band/o ring technique Fido, I'd never give a brush a short back and sides either... :lol:

I've just taken 5 - 6 mm off of my Franks Badger brush using a couple of cable ties.

Quite a difference. It still splays like a b'stard, but a definite improvement. I couldn't find any faux ivory coloured cable ties, so yellow and blue will have to do for now.

Back
Top Bottom