Reducing brush loft

If you need a reminder of the importance of brush loft and the significance of a variation of just a couple of millimetres, just tie something around the base of the knot - string will do, and see and feel the effect. If you want to try it out you can achieve something more durable in a number of different ways. Velcro, plastic tags, or even string will do a job. It may not look pretty but it helps to understand what you might prefer in a brush for future purchases.

Fido said:
If you need a reminder of the importance of brush loft and the significance of a variation of just a couple of millimetres, just tie something around the base of the knot - string will do, and see and feel the effect. If you want to try it out you can achieve something more durable in a number of different ways. Velcro, plastic tags, or even string will do a job. It may not look pretty but it helps to understand what you might prefer in a brush for future purchases.

It's an interesting experiment but I'm not to keen to try this on my only badger brush. Have you done this Fido and what were your findings in general?

You don't need to take any risks with your brush. Even string tied tightly round at the top of the handle with just one loop is likely to simulate a 2 mm reduction and you can easily remove it. It's just a way of improving your understanding of the effect of varying the loft to help you choose your next brush(s) I know brush makers wouldn't make brushes with above average lofts if they didn't sell. But all my high loft brushes work better if I use string or other methods of reducing the loft by 2 to 4mm and sometimes more.

Blyth Spirit said:
Will this cable tie use affect the drying capabilities of the brush? I have an EJ Pure which is far too floppy ( :roll: ) it paints creams well but I prefer a bit of a scrubber.

Not having tried it "long term" I honestly don't know - I can't imagine it would be much different to a deeper setting of the same knot though, since you're simply holding the bristles tightly together to simulate a deeper setting.

I had a customer that wanted a very scrubby brush so I suggest an Omega 10005 or 11137.

They received a 11137 but wanted something harsher, so I sent them cheap wooden handle model I had lying around. This model had definitely been shaped by a blade or shears & felt very rough. I never heard back from them so I can only assume they liked it. Some cheaper brushes tend to be shaped / finished with a blade (i.e. Wilkinson boar) not to my taste but someone must like them & you can make more brushes if you cut the bristles in half.

I wouldn't recommend this, your best off trading the brush & finding one with a shorter loft. Boar hair is & I can imagine badger hair would be very harsh when cut.

Back
Top Bottom