Recommendations please?

Right I am after getting a second Straight Razor! Preferably a nice vintage Sheffield or Solangen steel scales something other than plain black or white unless bone or horn, size 6/8 unless someone can convince me otherwise, round nose or square!?!.....Other option is new with the same preferences as above, prefer carbon to stainless steel, not overly keen on wooden scales. I have a Thiers Issard and would like a different make but may well go TI again!?!....Money to spend, could go £180 pos 200 if I really had to. I spent stupid money on my first Razor and it's my shaving pride and joy so I just want a very good nice looking usable second.
So any recommendations as to what or where to look would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Andy

Right I am after getting a second Straight Razor! Preferably a nice vintage Sheffield or Solangen steel scales something other than plain black or white unless bone or horn, size 6/8 unless someone can convince me otherwise, round nose or square!?!.....Other option is new with the same preferences as above, prefer carbon to stainless steel, not overly keen on wooden scales. I have a Thiers Issard and would like a different make but may well go TI again!?!....Money to spend, could go £180 pos 200 if I really had to. I spent stupid money on my first Razor and it's my shaving pride and joy so I just want a very good nice looking usable second.
So any recommendations as to what or where to look would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Andy
@Fergiebilly is your man for anything SR related... . specially vintage straight razors

@Merkurologist yes I very quickly came to the conclusion that Fergiebilly was the main guy, having read numerous posts referencing him. I have messaged him several times about 10 days ago and as yet he's not got back to me. Finger crossed though.

@MarkP cheers for the heads up I will look into that, thanks.

Just as an aside, am I in the right price range for a nice vintage example??? I'm guessing they range from cheap poor rusty pitted to how ever much you've got, for a top quality highly sort after piece???

Ok @MarkP as promised I have looked into the information you provided! And just so you KNOW, YOU will be NAMED as the reason for my DIVORCE!!!.....In the meantime, if my wife finds this thread, you've NEVER heard of me!!!....Jeez I thought we were all mates on here, god some people, I ask you!?!

@Merkurologist yes I very quickly came to the conclusion that Fergiebilly was the main guy, having read numerous posts referencing him. I have messaged him several times about 10 days ago and as yet he's not got back to me. Finger crossed though.

@MarkP cheers for the heads up I will look into that, thanks.

Just as an aside, am I in the right price range for a nice vintage example??? I'm guessing they range from cheap poor rusty pitted to how ever much you've got, for a top quality highly sort after piece???
Yeah he does go away from the forum from time to time but he always comes back.

It's worth waiting for a reply.

Having followed MarkP's line I have spoken to Joseph from Edge Dynamics and he was very helpful and informative!... So much so that this afternoon I sent my TI razor off to be Honed! Again after speaking with Joseph he filled me with confidence in his knowledge and ability! So looking forward to getting the razor back in the shave able state it should be in, obviously I will report back as to how it performs and my edict.
As for the vintage razors, I have decided MarkP definitely has connections with the DARK SIDE!?!....I have now increased the amount I was willing to spend by a hefty amount!!! If I can ever return the favour MarkP? I will endeavour to do so with a clear conscience!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You might also check out ebay seller billyji1. He usually has a range of restored "ordinary" straights for sale, all honed to his definition of shave ready.

There are also members here with razors they occasionally sell on the BST sub forum. I've personally purchased from @UKRob and have not been disappointed. He may have something suitable for you, and Rob's edges are wicked.

@Angry Badger - my interest in restoration is a hobby although I do occasionally offer razors for sale on the forum. However, because I don’t want to test members all the time, I deliberately used EBay when I had some excess razors from my collection plus restorations for sale last year. My rationale is that EBay delivers the market price and I don’t have to worry that I’m asking unrealistic amounts from newcomers who may not be aware of a razors real worth.

Over the winter I’ve bought a few razors for restoration when my workroom warms up in the spring - if you are still looking then I’ll give you a heads up as I have high hopes for some of them.

Oh Gawd I should not have looked in here!

I have purchased from Billyji1 and confirm he sells good stuff, shave ready with nice edges at decent prices. As an example I think I paid about £65 for my Tennis. I hear what you say about "something different" though and Billyji1 does seem to focus mainly on extra hollow round points from 1930 onwards, around 1/2"-6/8. Can you tell I've been looking?! (that's not to say Billy won't have anything outside those, it's just what I've observed).

I have UK Rob saved on Ebay since missing out on a nice heavy Victorian Sheffield, only because they were a pair and I only had half the dosh! (Wasn't going to ask to split a pair now, was I?)

John June had a real nice near wedge barbers notch that I took a liking to, but I think he decided to keep it. I'm biding my time!

Koraat make some desirable and interesting razors, now I see your budget. Very pleased with mine, although one square point in the rotation is enough.

Back
Top Bottom