Recommendations for an open comb

Hi all, after trying an open comb in a pass around I quite fancy an open comb razor to.add to my collection.now I rather llike vintage razors,which ones do people recommend? Small budget at min though.Cheers Ed

Hi Ed, you looking for a 3 piece or a TTO? The 3 piece tend to be cheaper, you could go for a Gillette New or Goodwill as you can get a new for reasonable price and they are good shavers. The TTO's tend to fetch more money unless you get a shaver grade?
Steve

Each of us knows what they can do as far as money is concerned. But when you buy good razor you're buying some thing that you going to put to use every week. Something that you're going to look at every day. And some thing that's going to last a long, long time.
Try to read all the topics, you'll see what people use and what people want. You'll find out from who to buy. If you look at 'today's shave' you'll see fantastic photos of all kinds of razors. Read, study, and compare prices. You'll be surprise how the prices change. And there'll always be another one. Buy the best you can and make sure that you'll use it.

Hiya,

I'd go along with the members who suggested something with a long tooth NEW head. It's on the milder end of the OC scale, but still has plenty of bite. There's a bar handle and and also a ball end type handle, plus some others I'm probably forgetting. These are among the less expensive OC models.

Keep in mind it's totally different than a NEW Improved head, which is what you see on Tuckaways and the like. To me, those are somewhat more aggressive.

You might also like to try the Gillette Senator/Sheraton TTO OC razors. Both the same except one's gold and the other's silver. Also a bit on the milder side, but a little more cash. The head's similar to the 1934 type Aristocrat, as well as the UK made Popular. These are also TTO models.

Any of those should be a good starting place and will still give a pretty darn close shave.

Martin

Shall keep my eyes open and try n increase the razor pot! Just as a side I use all of my razors and while I agree shaver grades are good for this reason if you look after a good example they will/have lasted for years!will keep my eyes open!

I have a 7 o'clock three piece NEW, a #88 NEW and two Old types: a single ring and a 1920s ball end. Old types work fine with thin blades; if pushed, I'd probably pick the ball end Old type as my favourite, but the #88 is close.

dodgy said:
You might also like to try the Gillette Senator/Sheraton TTO OC razors. Both the same except one's gold and the other's silver. Also a bit on the milder side, but a little more cash.
Spot on Martin! :icon_razz:
(just for clarification on those two, one is unplated, so it's sort of gold colour (brass), the other is Rhodium plated.)

Both are identical shave wise, but I prefer the sheraton for it's looks.
They are on the high side price wise, and I paid the full whack for mine.
The Senator is the razor I paid the most for in my whole collection.
Picture of the sheraton is in the guide I wrote a while back.

Ed, if you're looking for anything in particular OC wise, send me a PM.

Max

Some of the new OC are nice for the price. The new Merkur 1904 OC is every reasonably priced. It don't shave exactly like the original gillette but it gives an open comb experience. Plus it will last till you pass it on to the next generation of wet shavers.

Back
Top Bottom