Recommendation please

I'm looking for a new post shave balm or splash, and there seems to be a massive variety out there! I quite like the menthol / eucalyptus, aloe combinations as its both refreshing and soothing but having read about the bay rum type I'm quite keen on that idea too. So I'm left going in circles; can anyone recommend something to me to try out?

Loofah said:
I'm looking for a new post shave balm or splash, and there seems to be a massive variety out there! I quite like the menthol / eucalyptus, aloe combinations as its both refreshing and soothing but having read about the bay rum type I'm quite keen on that idea too. So I'm left going in circles; can anyone recommend something to me to try out?

Benjamin's Mentholated Bay Rum.

Best of both worlds.

I expect this is worth a try:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasopre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasopre.html</a><!-- m -->

Menthol and Bay Rum, you say?

On a budget, try any/every local Caribbean/Indian grocers for:

• McLas Mentholated Bay Rum
              • £1.55 for 227ml/8 fluid ounces.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
                    • Ingredients: alcohol, water, Bay oil & menthol - full stop.

Product of Jamaica, made by McCalla Laboratories Ltd., Kingston Jamaica.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Thanks for the responses so far! I had a look at the Proraso and think its going to be a bit 'gunky' for me to get on with. Oddly I hadn't set a budget for this (maybe I should?!) so don't feel restricted to bargains. It's Christmas coming up after all and I feel a personal treat coming on lol

Vinny is bang on with the Benjamin's bay rum good for a rub down after a bath or shower in the summer a kind of all rounder. For me it's D R Harris bay rum a/s a bit pricey some may say but it hits the mark for me. Good bay rum scent and it doesn't linger about too long [it shouldn't it's a splash for refreshing after a shave] a slight tingle and then calm, makes my skin feel very smooth. I'd go so far as to say I'd get the 500ml bottle if I was flush, hopes this helps, Adam.

Loofah said:
Thanks for the responses so far! I had a look at the Proraso and think its going to be a bit 'gunky' for me to get on with. Oddly I hadn't set a budget for this (maybe I should?!) so don't feel restricted to bargains. It's Christmas coming up after all and I feel a personal treat coming on lol

I thought that initially until I learned the way to use it as a smidgen (as in about 1/32 of a teaspoon) in the hand, few drops of water on it, rub your palms together and use it like a balm.

hunnymonster said:
Loofah said:

I thought that initially until I learned the way to use it as a smidgen (as in about 1/32 of a teaspoon) in the hand, few drops of water on it, rub your palms together and use it like a balm.

Yes it really does need to be used sparingly. That said it sounds like some of the other suggestions are more up your street.

how about the Proraso balm then

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/prorasobalm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/prorasobalm.html</a><!-- m -->

i'd be wary about getting some Bayrum before smelling some, it's a bit Marmite (love hate thing)

pop into Boots and smell, for free, their own brand Bayrum
it'll be next to the Freshwood soap and aftershave

I'll second the Proraso Balm that Hando linked. It's menthol and soaks in quickly with no greasy residue. Scent wears off quickly.

I don't find it economical in use though.

Clinique Post Shave Healer is excellent but pricey for the size.

there is of course, the classic Floid aftershaves.

I got a sampler of the Italian Floid and its superb. It has a huge cooling menthol hit, but with a rich spicy fragrance after it. It doesnt linger about TOO long. Tiny sting as it goes on (i have very sensitive skin) but then it cools like nothing else, and leaves my skin feeling smooth, fresh and cool.

I dont use it every day (dont think my skin could take it) but i do enjoy it as an occasional treat

Well so far I've had no luck in sourcing any of the recommendations in the High Street! since Christmas has come and gone though, I do seem to have been given some old spice (was ok but not for me) and some Boots bay rum! Clove-tastic lol Quite nice but am still trying to get hold of the suggestions above. Are they available in the high st and if so where??

Back
Top Bottom