Recommend a cherry red boot polish?

Evening chaps. Anyone have any recommendations for a polish suitable for cherry red Doc Martens, please? My pair had a deformed section on one of the boots, which I alleviated by gently steaming the leather, but it caused the colour to run slightly. I effected a quick fix with some neutral wax stuff, but the foam applicator was crumbling. Our family shoe-cleaning kit seems to be full of ancient junk, but only contains black polish which my dad probably bought in 1965 several years ago, so I'm on the lookout for a quality polish that matches the dull red and that'll give a water-resistant finish. I'm not looking for high shine (IMO Doc Martens look stupid with a high shine finish), but, because I'm a wheelchair user and therefore don't walk, they haven't creased-up to enable me to do the old "antiquing" trick with black polish.

Bechet45 said:
You expectin' a bit ov bover, Chris? Cherry Red, no less! I'm impressed!

Not really, Carl - I just like DMs. Have a job to find the 8-hole boots in my tiny size (disability issues), but managed to find a black pair and a cherry red pair from ebay about 18 months ago, and, they're the proper, Made in England ones. Of course, the one good thing about being in a wheelchair is that they won't wear out.:icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
Not really, Carl - I just like DMs. Have a job to find the 8-hole boots in my tiny size (disability issues), but managed to find a black pair and a cherry red pair from ebay about 18 months ago, and, they're the proper, Made in England ones. Of course, the one good thing about being in a wheelchair is that they won't wear out.:icon_razz:

I like DMs. Have had at least one pair (and often several, currently have three) in my shoe cupboard for over twenty years. You did well to find some English ones, DM charge a fortune for them now.

Funnily enough they go down well with the kids at school too.

Never had any cherry red ones so can't help with polish unfortunately but thought I'd weigh in with some additional DM appreciation. :D

n1vlo said:
I got mine for my martens from Dr martens Web sites around £3.50

Cherry red :)

Cheers, I've found a few different polishes and waxes, but really what I'm looking-for is quality and something that's a close match. Presumably, DMs own stuff should be OK in terms of a colour match!:icon_rolleyes::angel:

You could use Ox Blood polish. I've just polished my cherry reds with this, and ox blood gives them a slightly darker tinge, but not too much. You can also use ox blood on brown shoes.

chrisbell said:
n1vlo said:

Cheers, I've found a few different polishes and waxes, but really what I'm looking-for is quality and something that's a close match. Presumably, DMs own stuff should be OK in terms of a colour match!:icon_rolleyes::angel:

Morning Chris,

I will be interested to find out how you get on as I have a pair in this colour and one is darker than the other and dull and I have thought for some time that a good polish would sort the issue but to date have only tried cherry blossom and wasn't that impressed with the result.

Pete

Polish won't even out or change the colour , you'll need to recolour the whole shoe(s) by stain or dye unless you know someone skilled with airbrush and colour matching.

SAINT12661 said:
chrisbell said:
n1vlo said:

Morning Chris,

I will be interested to find out how you get on as I have a pair in this colour and one is darker than the other and dull and I have thought for some time that a good polish would sort the issue but to date have only tried cherry blossom and wasn't that impressed with the result.

Pete

If I'm honest, I haven't got round to it. Being in a wheelchair means my footwear doesn't get scuffed much.

Saw this and thought of you:

8411209618_c1502bbc7c.jpg

Thought the Carling was probably a bit too cheap for you but it was the best I could find.

Never did have a pair of cherry reds, a few black pairs of 8 eyelet boots and still got some old brown DM shoes that are knocking on for 15 years old. I wear 'em round the gairden and will never throw them out. The backs are going but I'll just stitch a bit of 3mm leather in the inside and that'll keep them going. Already re-dyed them once.

Gairdner said:
Saw this and thought of you:

8411209618_c1502bbc7c.jpg

Thought the Carling was probably a bit too cheap for you but it was the best I could find.

Never did have a pair of cherry reds, a few black pairs of 8 eyelet boots and still got some old brown DM shoes that are knocking on for 15 years old. I wear 'em round the gairden and will never throw them out. The backs are going but I'll just stitch a bit of 3mm leather in the inside and that'll keep them going. Already re-dyed them once.

Cheers Graeme - I saw that a few days ago - lager isn't my thing at all, but don't worry about it.:icon_razz:

Really rolling back the years for me on this thread as I remember when I was an impessionable 12 yr old in South London that your status in a group of friends was somewhat elevated by the number of eyelet holes you had in your DM's and from memory the options were 8,10 & 12 and of which I had the 8 hole version.

Cracking boot and who'd have thought that 30 odd years later I would be sitting here in a pair of their steel toe capped safety shoes, although I have to say that the quality doesn't appear to be as good on the current ones, or is that just me drifting off into Victor mode again!

Happy days.

Pete

My wife had a problem with a leather coat that had a few spots that the Cleaner wasn't able to take care of.
She tried a number of things on her own . None worked at taking it out so she went to the Craft Store. Here it was A C Moore and found they had Leather Paint. The had one that matched the color of the cost perfectly so she painted over the spots!! Worked perfectly.
You may want to take it to a Craft Store and see if they have anything that matches.

Back
Top Bottom