Reasonable work shoes

I suffer from fatfuckeritis too, sadly. However after losing 3 stone my feet hurt less. I'm afraid it's like smoking. If you smoke and go to the docs about anything, they'll blame it on that. If you're fat and you go to the docs about anything, it'll be that. I gave up smoking, and I've lost weight. Doc can't have any excuses left.

Yes - my IBS was blamed on that. While they have a point and it plays a big part it's not really a solution on its own. I keep consumption of dairy a little low and have soya milk and it has almost stopped the terrible bruising pains and.convulsions from my intestine. A good doctor is essential

These are a little bit more expensive but I'm sure you would be able to forgive the expense for the level of comfort you will get.
http://www.ecco-shoes-uk.co.uk/Mens-Formal-Shoes/Surf-630014

Jamie.

NotTheStig said:
Yes - my IBS was blamed on that. While they have a point and it plays a big part it's not really a solution on its own. I keep consumption of dairy a little low and have soya milk and it has almost stopped the terrible bruising pains and.convulsions from my intestine. A good doctor is essential

I have IBS as well - a mild case of IBS-D which comes and goes.

Hmm, that's expensive. I wouldn't mind spending that much on shoes if I knew they were going to last for years. What's special about those ones, Pugh? (See what I did there?)

Apparently the original company that made Dr Marten's in England was NPS Solovair. They their own brand of shoes and some for the likes of John Lewis, etc. When DM's shifted production out to the East, Solovair just kept on making them as they always had - not branded Dr Marten's but the same shoes and still made in England. Prices in some stores range from £100 to £125 which is a little rich for me. However, they can be found on eBay by searching for Solovair (funnily enough).

I spotted a nice pair of grainy brown Chelsea type boots for £80 which is a little more like it. I did notice auctions for other size & styles at much lower prices but I'll leave the joy of the hunt for you.

Hope you get something.

At an early age it was drummed into me not to wear trainers casually (health not fashion) but Converse have to be the very worst for your feet and arches. I have some Ecco's, they're sort of proto shoes for the aspirationally elderly although I'm not that old and they are still going strong after a decade or so, dead comfy and really well made...I'll get my slippers.

Gairdner said:
Apparently the original company that mad Dr Marten's in England was NPS Solovair.

Not quite - Griggs bought the right to the Dr. Maertens (note the spelling) sole in 1959, after Maertens and his Luxembourg-born friend Dr. Herbert Funck sold it after they both wanted to explore other inventions, plus their medical careers. Bill Griggs toyed with calling the new line Dr. Funcks, but concluded that it could be misspelled as "Dr Fucks", so opted to use the name of the other Doctor, which he then Anglicised to "Martens" Solovair indeed still make the classic designs in Norhampton under licence from Griggs.

I feel for you with the IBS, I have it as well, peppermint tea and stopping eating apples seems to keep it under control for me and peppermint capsules when it's out of control.

Quick tip if you do end up seeing a podiatrist, don't say it's something you've always had or suffered with for a while, say it came on suddenly. That'll bump you up the NHS waiting list as it'll probably be some insoles and a quick fix for them.

You can also usually tell the problem by looking at the wear on the soles of your shoe, a bit like you can tell your wheels are out of alignment if your car tire wearing unevenly.

chrisbell said:
Gairdner said:
Apparently the original company that mad Dr Marten's in England was NPS Solovair.

Not quite - Griggs bought the right to the Dr. Maertens (note the spelling) sole in 1959, after Maertens and his Luxembourg-born friend Dr. Herbert Funck sold it after they both wanted to explore other inventions, plus their medical careers. Bill Griggs toyed with calling the new line Dr. Funcks, but concluded that it could be misspelled as "Dr Fucks", so opted to use the name of the other Doctor, which he then Anglicised to "Martens" Solovair indeed still make the classic designs in Norhampton under licence from Griggs.

Chris, as always, I am indebted to your encyclopaedic knowledge and/or Google/Wiki fu. Scientific precision and I'm grateful for the education. Moral of the story: never take an eBay seller word as absolute.

Cheers! :D

Like Antdad, I too had the wearing of trainers as bad for your feet unless your actually doing sport, drummed into me from an ealry age. It was obviously an effective drumming as to this day, I just don't like wearing trainers at all. Not a snobbish thing in the slightest, just the way I am.

Any further forward Mr Stignot?

Gairdner said:
chrisbell said:
Gairdner said:

Chris, as always, I am indebted to your encyclopaedic knowledge and/or Google/Wiki fu. Scientific precision and I'm grateful for the education. Moral of the story: never take an eBay seller word as absolute.

Like Antdad, I too had the wearing of trainers as bad for your feet unless your actually doing sport, drummed into me from an ealry age. It was obviously an effective drumming as to this day, I just don't like wearing trainers at all. Not a snobbish thing in the slightest, just the way I am.

My info. comes from the official book on the history of the brand by Martin Roach, which was produced with the assistance of the current Chairman, Stephen Griggs. As a bit of a DM fan, I decided a few years back that I was interested enough to buy it - as it's a paperback, it wasn't particularly expensive.

I have a pair of Doc Martens 'For Life' boots that I wear every day to walk the dog between 2-4 miles and can say that they are far different from the 'normal' DMs, in that the material is much better and extremely soft and the soles and heels are slightly better made/reinforced than the others too. I have had mine about 3 years and they are only just getting down to the stage where I made need to change them as they have worn down at the heel. The walking is half road, half paths through the wood.

They are expensive, but worth every penny IMHO, only snag is that I don't know if they do a 'For Life' that would go with your suit?

As an aside I suffer from a bad back which used to give me a lopsided gait, but got a pilates machine and since then I haven't had any problems. Well worth the investment, has saved me a fortune at the Osteopath!

Would these be suitable? They do have a shiny leather model with brogue punching, but they're £20 more.

13762001.png

chrisbell said:
Gairdner said:
chrisbell said:
Gairdner said:

My info. comes from the official book on the history of the brand by Martin Roach, which was produced with the assistance of the current Chairman, Stephen Griggs. As a bit of a DM fan, I decided a few years back that I was interested enough to buy it - as it's a paperback, it wasn't particularly expensive.

Grand, I always like a bit of British manufacturing history but more especially of the motorcycling sort. Oh for a Brough Superior but I don't want Lawrence's! I'm sure those DM's you pictured could be made shiny with a bit of elbow grease and parade gloss. Failing that, several coats of Resolene and a good wax would certainly do it.

P.S. wasn't the cricket poo - Uncle Algy and Boyc's Mum will be waving their rhubarb angrily!

Back
Top Bottom